Personal Break needs a tweak.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Taipanfan, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

I like the idea of the personal break if it has anything to do with stopping some sort of artificial staying online to ensure no attacks.
    However, if a person is genuinely playing the game trying to hold onto grog/gold for upgrades, training, etc, it's unfair to punish that person buy enforcing the 10 minute break in which time they've lost a good portion of their ill-gotten gains. One of the people in our guild has had it happen to her. She readily admits she's obsessed, she uses gems to buy outfits mostly so doesn't gem her recruiting. It is not uncommon for her to be online for 10 hours.
    Midoki, couldn't the Personal Break be tweaked so that the attacker still gets all rewards, the attacked loses the PR but gets the grog/gold reimbursed so there is no financial penalty? The reimbursement could apply only to attacks during a personal break, and the robotic software or whatever is being targeted still stays targeted. Most importantly, your most devoted fans of the game won't be turned against it.

2. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

There were numerous reasons why the personal break timer was introduced, the primary being to stop prolonged staying online to prevent attacks, as this reduces the matchmaking pool and the amount of resources available (which is why Shields bought from the Market have cooldowns). Although we're incredibly flattered that a small number of players legitimately stay online for over 9 hours*, it's arguably bad for both the health of the game and the health of the player!

*Which I totally understand, I used to lead a World of Warcraft guild! :p

850arrr, peg-brain bob, Ian and 5 others like this.
  3. flyingdoucheman

flyingdoucheman Magical Banner Wizard

Well, the break is for the players who "big air quotes " need a break.
    speaking of which , Congrats and how's the bambino!!!!!!?????? @Lynsey [Midoki]

4. At how many hours does someone get forceably logged out of the game - i have yet to see the number of hours that this happens in any of the posts in this forum - so for those of us who are not on slack - please enlighten us.

Maybe the time frame when some one is forceabley logged out just needs to be extended - or ask for a code to be entered to prove there is a live person on the other side 3 min before they are kicked out.

There should be a solution that does not punish the marathon players but also cuts down on the accounts that are kept online for days at a time.

5. Sorry Linsey - I missed the 9 hrs in your post.

Personally this will hit me as i am often on for 10 or 12 hrs at a time- will see how hard it make to accumulate the needed amounts for upgrades -

Personally i would have though the forced break would have been at 24 hrs on- but then again i do not know how many players stay logged in all day so maybe this will only hit a few of us players

6. MorganFlint

MorganFlint Captain

It would also be effective if it took effect after 3-4 hours of INactivity.

Tessa Rose and McQ like this.
  7. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

Our "marathon player" tries to stay online but occasionally misses the mines/stills and gets the "where have you gone" message and even though the game resets this does not count as going offline. Nor does changing devices. She says the time it cuts in varies.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017
  8. Capt. Sharky

Capt. Sharky First Mate

When you see the "where have you gone" message or you close down to switch devices, I think you're base is still seen as online for a period of 5 minutes, protecting it from attack. Therefore logging back in before that 5 minutes is up , will not have actually taken you offline at any point, so won't reset the personal break 9hr timer. That's not an official explanation, but I 'think' it's correct.

9. Tiger Lilly

Tiger Lilly Captain

@Capt. Sharky This makes great sense, hopefully it's true especially for the true marathon players!:)

Capt. Sharky likes this.
  10. Ian

Ian Commodore

This 'Personal Break' was brought in predominantly to stop a small number who were cheating the system in one form or other. There are plenty of posts from members in the higher PR ranks who have complained of these members and support this claim.

And whilst I can appreciate the need to put in some marathon sessions either during a rumble or pushing PR. I would have to agree with @Lynsey [Midoki] in that 9hrs continuous play can't be healthy for you personally and definitely not healthy for the game.

I think 9hrs is a very reasonable timeframe for the genuine player and is far better than the alternative, being that you can get attacked at anytime you don't have a shield (even when you are on-line and attacking or streaking yourself). Am sure if the current system needs a tweak then this will be reviewed in weeks/months to come.

11. Jonesy

Jonesy Crew

So, to protect the big spenders from being caught up to by the "cheats", you implement a 9 hour timer, punishing the nongemming streakers. Two thumbs up, best wishes Midoki. Taking a page out of Supercell's playbook isn't keeping me around.....

12. flyingdoucheman

flyingdoucheman Magical Banner Wizard

Gimme a break, gimme a break, break me off a piece of that Kit Kat Bar! :rolleyes:

Omar CeceƱa likes this.