Crazy high event milestones

Discussion in 'Event Strategies & Discussion' started by typhoon, Mar 1, 2018.

1. typhoon

typhoon Powder Monkey

Is it just me or do others think that the 3.5 M final milestone is nearly impossible to achieve for this event.

Dutchie and 850arrr like this.
  2. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

We bumped up the upper end of the milestones as a lot of guilds were finishing the guild events two or three days in. The top rewards were always meant to be a challenge for the top level guilds, but we still wanted the smaller and lower level guilds to get plenty of rewards and progress, so we added more rewards and lowered the points requirements for the lower and mid milestones, as well as increasing the top end.

3. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

And no gem reward at all :(. I know, what you say now... we MAY get some gems from the chests.

But 5 gems from a "lucky chest" are not comparable with a 500 gems reward. ;)

And spending gems to finish the event... and get a duplicate again from the dapper :confused:.. i don't know is it worth it o_O so, let's play and see how far we get :)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2018
    Dutchie and Fanta like this.
  4. Colonel Forbin

Colonel Forbin Powder Monkey

Dead Man’s Chest is consistently a top 25 rumble guild. Our avg is less than 200k but we can rise to the occasion and go 300+ now and then. To finish this one we need 500k per 24hrs...... The goal for a Guild event is to work as a team to finish. It brings everyone closer as a group and improves the enjoyment an ultimately make a guild more competitive. 3.5mil is out of our reach, and to be honest there might be 10 other guilds out there that will make that goal. Our guys arent going to waste their gems for this one.
    One remark about gem rewards. I dont think the expectation for every event should be 500 gems, if you offered 200 gems as a top reward per event you would get alot more participation.
    Something new for the 1000+ people would be nice too

Dutchie, 850arrr and ElFrenetico like this.
  5. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

Well...let’s do the math, since most of these events can’t be finished without gems. For simplicity I’ll use an average points per attack as 1,000pp, which is way beyond the average player imo. You need about 11,000 points per player per day if you have say 45 guild members to reach the 3.5m goal....And let’s say each recruit cost a mere 15 gems. So 11 attacks x 15 gems = 165 gems x 7 days = 1,155 gems total used. I think some gems rewards are in order when most people in a active competitive guild are gonna spend way beyond any reward I have ever seen in ANY event. 200-500 gems is a drop in the bucket for most of the people I know. We all spend more than ever rewarded in events and in rumbles and are totally fine with that. Raising the goal is fine, we can do it, but no gems? Cmon thats pretty weak.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  6. ElFrenetico

ElFrenetico Captain

Well said!

Lynsey - thanks for being honest and not letting these threads fester un-responded.

I think the general feeling among the heavy hitters is that it’s great to make a living and events are a good way for a game like this to bring in some extra income. They give long-time players something to get excited about, too. It just seems like the carrot has gotten too small and the stick too long. It’s nice to know our feedback isn’t in vain with Midoki, and in this case, I just think maybe the knob could use another little turn. :)

The update to chests and upgradable costumes has turned costumes (including legendary ones) into a bit of a commodity. With costumes easy to come by, even with the Dapper providing a guaranteed legendary, it’s not what it used to be (especially without the chance of gems for duplicates).

The awards at the beginning of the event timeline are pretty good, but if you look at what that last 2mil gets you, it’s hard not to look out the window at the nice spring weather, forget what you were doing, go take a walk, and maybe catch up with those chores you’ve been neglecting. :)

A modest gem award (or a chest with a good chance of decent gems) could help make make the last mile feel worth it.

-Mike

7. MorganFlint

MorganFlint Captain

Nicely summed up, Mike

Sea Patriot likes this.
  8. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

Hear Hear!!

and to add my 2 cents, 3.5 million for a dapper chest is total BS!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    Dutchie, WOLLIMAUS and ElFrenetico like this.
  9. ScoopyWP

ScoopyWP Crew

Tweaking the game occasionally is a good thing, but taking it to extremes is daft. I like this game, give me something to fight for and I'll fight like a madwoman. Dangle another silly outfit at me and make it harder to win? That's just plain silly.

Mocon, Dutchie, MorganFlint and 3 others like this.
  10. Fanta

Fanta Powder Monkey

Here the only aim of midoki is take our gems so we will buy others! It is all loud and clear midoki! Some time ago i asked notices for upgrades but nothing! Always the same Game from too much time! You have to reply @Lynsey [Midoki] this time

Unique Rebel likes this.
  11. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

Since it feels only right to have at least one Devil’s advocate per thread... ;)

As a PH11 member of a smaller guild (of varied PH levels) - getting to even 25% of the guild event rewards is extremely difficult - yet completing the individual events is only a fun/gentle challenge.

For the strongest guilds, the guild events must be even easier/less challenging than the individual ones.

I can see that Midoki wants to give everyone something to play for (in addition to making the game profitable).

Personally I really like the idea of tiering the guild event reward levels by the number of players in the guild. However the per player tiers should match the individual event ones - to continue the same encouragement for levelling up (& equally getting us ‘old hands’ to fight/sail as hard as the ‘fresh blood’ to offset their lower scoring).

I think giving all guilds (regardless of size) the same incentive (& ability to finish) guild events, as the individual ones, could only encourage greater participation across the player base.

@Lynsey [Midoki] (aside from the more complicated programming this would require) - is there another disadvantage to this suggestion?

ElFrenetico likes this.
  12. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

A few issues with that idea (which we have considered!):

1) In a lot of the larger heavy hitting guilds, you have a lot of players that merrily blast through the individual targets seen in the individual Events in a very short amount of time, so you'd still have the situation that the bigger guilds would lack a challenge.

2) We'd also have to change the rewards for the smaller guilds, because running a larger guild successfully is a lot harder than running a smaller one, and the rewards should reflect that.

3) It's nice for guilds to have bragging rights over hitting that final tier (which some have already done!) - not everyone in the Olympics gets a gold medal, not everyone in football can be in the Premier League, etc.

That said, we are looking at the numbers, and if it looks like it's negatively impacting on players as a whole, we'll do some tweaking in the future (whether that's decreasing the milestones, or bumping up the rewards).

13. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

NOT EVERYONE is using/can't use DOPING for that, read:gems

HOW ABOUT YOU DO BOTH AT THE SAME TIME? ;) @Lynsey [Midoki]

Or you let the longer stick, but we get MUCH BIGGER CARROTS :D like he said @ElFrenetico

MorganFlint, Fanta and ElFrenetico like this.
  14. ElFrenetico

ElFrenetico Captain

All good points - I agree with @peg-brain bob that it's nice to have a level of award that's challenging even for the biggest guilds, and I agree with @Lynsey [Midoki] that it's nice that there's an aspect of bragging rights. I just think that like @WOLLIMAUS said, the carrot could match the stick a bit better.

It's not surprising that it would take some trial and error to get that balance right, and during the process, a few events will be too easy to complete, and naturally a few events will leave some people wanting to throw up their hands and storm off. :)

I think the monkey wrench is just the change in perception of the value of costumes and particularly the Dapper. With the flood of costumes in the new chests and the loss of gems for duplicates, the Dapper just doesn't feel like a big deal anymore, except perhaps to a particularly avid completionist/collector.

15. edhuardo carvalho

edhuardo carvalho Powder Monkey

Many players give up this game because this event, is better Midoki has goods news for recover that players. My guild no finished the event, maybe only 5 guilds finished the event, many people is very frustrated and it's not funny.

16. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

When a few top guilds always had such a hurry to finish the events... in 2-3 days and got 2 M tokens in Thunderstruck guild event, why "punish" or "challenge" all others with that 3,5 M goal too? In Plundertime Guild event the 3 M mark is much easier to reach for more guilds, because the loot amount gives a lot of tokens too. In Thunderstruck counts ONLY the plunder-points you get from a fight.
    It makes a big difference does the player get for example 1267ppts/(1383ppts during storm,1741 a rival or (1905 a rival if PR is over 1000) ) for a 3 star victory or 2500-3900? tokens for the same kind of attack during Plundertime. Less attacks needed to achieve the same goal.

Top-guilds can make with a lot gems over 1 M plunder-points in 24 hs. And then they usually rest, but not always... so, they need maybe 4 days now if they continue with that speed.
    Many "lighter" guilds make maybe 100k-500k in a rumble... BUT NOT EVERY DAY ;) maybe 2 or 3 times a week if wanted. o_O

I fear the worst for next Plundertime guild event!!! How much tokens it will be? :cool:
    Only for challenging maybe 5-10 guilds?

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    Dutchie, ScoopyWP and 850arrr like this.
  17. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

Thank you very much @Lynsey [Midoki] for this explanation. Naturally if reward tiers were reduced (for smaller guilds) - I was anticipating that quantity/value of rewards themselves would be correspondingly reduced.

I accept your gold medal analogy - I guess mine would be similar to ‘handicaps’ in golf.

However I guess that if I desire a change, I should simply move to a larger guild. ;)

Mocon and MorganFlint like this.
  18. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

555,000 points to go with about 14h to left. I think the goal was a bit much on this event. I mean we are talking about a top 10 rumble guild that might come up short. It’s still doable, BUT it’s gonna take one hell of a push for that final chest. :( Another outfit...ho hum. Not really worth the effort tbh. Note: this will be the one and ONLY event that this guild has EVER (possibly) come up short..maybe...we shall see.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
  19. ElFrenetico

ElFrenetico Captain

I think another problem here is that just from human nature, people like to complete things. In most games that I’ve seen, game events are something that you complete (through diligence or effort), as opposed to something that you win (by defeating other players).

An event that, by definition, more guilds will never complete, is probably going to leave a bad taste in the mouths of more players than it pleases.

I like the idea of bragging rights, but it would be nice if it wasn’t at the expense of so many completionist players ending up feeling frustrated and inadequate because they didn’t finish the event (check all the boxes, fill up the bar, collect all the whatevers...). We’re just hard-wired to feel badly when we see a meter that we can’t fill up. :)

Real-life example:

Being outstandingly mediocre in the muscles category, I know better than to walk up to a 40-foot sledge hammer tower at a carnival, unless I’m in the mood for a little public humiliation. :) I’d much rather play the crappy little 15-foot tower for a crappy plush (and guaranteed ego protection) than take my chances with the tower of crushed dreams to win a pony. :)

Right now, Thunderstruck is kinda the tower of crushed dreams.

Another thought that might help is awarding not just completion of the event, but fastest completion. Reward completion with the crappy (but still appreciated) prizes and offer a handful of big prizes (and bragging rights) to the first N guilds to complete it - kind of the way end-of-season awards work today. That way, the crazy guilds can spray gems everywhere and go to town competing for the pony, but if I’m in guild N+1, at least I still won the crappy plush, and I don’t feel so bad not knowing what I missed.

Dutchie, ScoopyWP, 850arrr and 4 others like this.
  20. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

1h 5min to go in the event... MoonShiners(43 members atm for the event) have 3.062.774... we will not finish this time.

Tell us please how many guilds have finished the event. I know of 2, maybe 3... not more. @Lynsey [Midoki]

850arrr likes this.