2 PROBLEMS:

Discussion in 'Guild Bugs' started by Captain Catbeard, Nov 22, 2015.

1. Hey guys, what's up?

Well, I've not been very good. A few bugs started showing up the last couple of weeks. First of all, it is shown that there are always more messages in the chat when there's nothing new to read! Also, we've got the "limited search malfunction" (or LSM, as I call it). I've been trying to find a guild named "GREECE" but I am afraid to discover the presence of only one guild, whereas 3 months ago there were about 25 more, including what I was searching for! Thanks a lot for your support, plunderers!;)

2. Skye

Skye Commodore

The unread messages issue is likely occurring because someone posted a request in chat which was filled, and was then removed from chat, before you managed to read it. Since you could never read it, it's "unread" and can never be seen to clear it. Posting a message in chat will clear it, or managing to read the next request from them.

I also believe that they recently removed inactive guilds (where the Captain hasn't logged in for a very long time) from the guild listing when they were improving the recommended guilds functionality. I could be wrong on that, but I believe its why.

Kelani and Captain Catbeard like this.
  3. Thanks a lot Skye!;) Did you check out my new pic?

4. Zeuticus

Zeuticus Crew

If you're saying this is a feature and not a bug, then the feature should be changed. If requests are filled, then the message counter should be reduced accordingly. If there are no new messages or unfilled requests, then please don't put a number on the message tab so I won't feel obliged to check it.

5. Skye

Skye Commodore

Its not a feature, its a bug related to a new feature. A simple oversight that should hopefully get fixed soon :) I was just explaining the reason it was happening, and how to work around it in the meantime.

6. Zeuticus

Zeuticus Crew

OK, thanks. Been thoroughly enjoying the game for over a year now.

7. MorganFlint

MorganFlint Captain

See @WOLLIMAUS , inaccurate new message icon was old problem described as a “bug related to a new feature”. Perhaps something got discombobulated again.

8. MorganFlint

MorganFlint Captain

The second problem that has resurfaced, is the guild MOTD is glitchy again. Our MOTD just disappeared yesterday. Tried to redo and it wouldn’t save. It won’t save if you use certain symbols (and you don’t know which symbol except by process of elimination). Finally removed a down arrow emoji and it saved.

9. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

This is exactly like Capt. Catbeard describes. The icon shows more messages as new ones as there really are. Older ones are counted too. I noticed that the first time last Wednesday.

And it has nothing to do with requests, because I saw this morning popping up #1 and when the request was filled it disappeared right away again.

What the new secret features might be? Why We can't see or expierence them?
    It is funny, new features are build in, but it seems no one is testing them before, what possibly glitches or problems in game play they causes. :confused:

@Sea Patriot couldn't create a new guild, because something with guild description... maybe because he tried to use a symbol which causes the problem. @MorganFlint just wrote about what happened with MOTD.

@Lynsey [Midoki]
    I just saw a guild, created yesterday and not a nice guild description there, but because it wasn't in English it was allowed .... the lanuage filter doesn't work in that case.:eek:

10. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

The profanity filter is a strange and fickle beast. It seems to have been relaxed in guild chat (or maybe it's always been that way), but is still applied to guild and player names, and message of the day.

If you attempt to put in a forbidden word in a guild or player name, you won't be allowed to submit it and will be told to edit it.

If you attempt to put in a forbidden word in a MotD, then it'll simply ignore your message, and either leave the field blank (if it was the first MotD), or keep the previous message. This could probably do with tweaking so that you get a message telling you to edit the message (as with guild/player names).

Obviously players will always find interesting (by which, I mean incredibly annoying) ways of bypassing the profanity filter, so we have to rely on people reporting the more creative obscenities. And occasionally innocent words or phrases may be caught up in the filter due to the Scunthorpe problem (where a non-obscene word contains a sequence of letters that, in isolation, are obscene). If a player ever sees a name (player or guild) or guild description with offensive content, we always recommend that you report it so that we can investigate.

As you've already discovered, there are also banned symbols. A lot of these are not banned due to being potentially offensive, but for technical reasons - iOS and Android have unique platform-specific emojis which cannot be displayed on the rival platform (I think ones that aren't supported by unicode?), and I think some symbols are even specific to specific OS versions (so later iOS versions can have symbols that earlier ones don't). Unfortunately, we found that when these kind of symbols were used, it caused massive problems (most memorably nearly entire guilds being taken offline because their iOS players were crashing due to symbols put into chat by an Android player). So, only symbols supported by Unicode are allowed in chat, IIRC (it's been a couple of years since this was implemented!). Again, I'll look to see if we can bring up a message that makes this a little clearer.

MorganFlint likes this.
  11. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

@Lynsey [Midoki]

Yes, the filter in our guild chat, we know some words it doesn't allow, but we don't even use them, we are nice and polite to each other :), okay we tried a few, just for FUN :D, but the filter isn't that perfect ;)

Also flags can't be put in guild chat, we have tried, but why? Afraid of political statements? :confused:

But we talk also about that know, the messages are counted wrong!!!! many hours old messages are counted and showed as new ones(the number in the chat icon) when you log into plunders...even you have been online and read all of them again for several times inbetween, some counter doesn't go back to zero when you have all read the 1. time

Our guild MOTD has been for ages the same, also the symbols/emojis, we only changed mins and put emojis like lollipops, palms, the kiss sending emoji or rum glases!!!! but suddenly it got erased OVER night(Europe: from saturday to sunday)... and LMF could write it but couldn't save it again in the old form written like it were before
    It is a innocent arrow emoji which shows downwards, meaning lower, blue-gray background and a white arrow facing down, what is suddenly forbidden about that?? Has been in our MOTD for months like that :D

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    MorganFlint likes this.
  12. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

The chat system (including filters) hasn't been altered in well over a year, and there were no server changes over the weekend, so I can't think what the issue could be. :/ It's probably best that @MorganFlint submits a ticket describing the issue so we can look into it a bit closer!

Flags aren't banned because of political concerns, but because they crashed a lot of devices!

WOLLIMAUS likes this.
  13. MorganFlint

MorganFlint Captain

I did submit a ticket yesterday for the MOTD. Thanks for looking into it! :)
    (I don’t have the new message stuck-icon issue like Wolli does)

14. NinjaNurse

NinjaNurse Crew

Ah the profanity filter. We have a guild member who struggled to tell us that she lives in Scunthorpe. My guess is the same goes for Brightwater

MorganFlint likes this.
  15. Sea Patriot

Sea Patriot Captain

Interesting

16. Sea Patriot

Sea Patriot Captain

I went to Name the guild “Norse Pirates” maybe since the system didn’t recognize the word “Norse”?

MorganFlint likes this.
  17. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

I always found it highly amusing, the quantity of Anglo Saxon words that are allowed... whilst apparently living in Essex musn’t ever be discussed! :eek::oops::p

MorganFlint and Sea Patriot like this.
  18. Floki

Floki Captain

oh my the filter is broke lucky I never swear.....oh f$*& it just stabbed mt finger...Owwwweeerrr