222 Days of Broken Replays

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Resarf, May 10, 2015.

1. Resarf

Resarf Captain

Ive been playing for 222 days, and since day 1 the replays have been broken.

For a while I thought they were getting better, but of late they have gone worse.

Most recently a 88% win was a 21% loss on replay.

Meanwhile Midoki keep releasing new features. I'm sure this is the bit where someone will tell me its on the master list, well I don't care, its been way too long and when someone takes my city down and I cant see how, its frustrating.

I think the general community has been more than patient on this issue, but its such a key part of the game it needs to work.

Thanks for listening.

Raptelan and Bear like this.
  2. Barbed

Barbed First Mate

Key part of the game will be canceling shields to make "pig feeding" pointless and the game and whole its "ranking" fair.
    But yes, replays are big letdown now.
    As I understand the problem, its hard or even impossible to make unit's AI "think" the same way while starting the battle model at replay.
    Such kind of solutions like stored "timestamps" of all unit's decisions are very heavy and will cause more traffic problems and so on.
    Hope devs will find some elegant solution soon enough, wish them luck.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  3. Krayzkat

Krayzkat Crew

lol why don't they just record a video of the actual fight, then the replay would be just a stream of the video, rather than this carry on about actually re-inacting a fight?

i'm not a programmer or anything, but surely this is common sense?

ps. and regarding pig feeding, why not just make it you cannot attack same person more than x times per day or week?

4. Barbed

Barbed First Mate

Video stream is absolutely not an option, couple hundreds of such video translations will load server to zero responding. Not only server, every player will jump into dependence of inet speed

5. Tex

Tex Commodore

I never played CoC, does that game have working replays or same issues as PP?
    Just wondering. If CoC works without issues then it is possible?

6. Virus

Virus First Mate

Coc has no issues on replays at all, so it can be done

Resarf likes this.
  7. Krayzkat

Krayzkat Crew

lol of course its an option!

instead of streaming video, it could be download to view, hardly rocket science. if the poor servers still can't cope, then they need to get more servers. replay servers don't have to be the same as the normal game play servers.

not every person watches replays, and not every person would want to even if they were actually able to reliably reporting what happened.

8. Bear

Bear Commodore

Recordings are a horrible idea for users. It would increase data usage extremely.

Raptelan likes this.
  9. Krayzkat

Krayzkat Crew

is there really going to be extremely more data being used watching a recording of a replay, than watching a video on youtube, Facebook, etc, on your mobile phone?

clash of clans has working replays, and i assume they are 'recordings' as they get wiped at every server maintenance...

is it really so hard to do something similar?

10. Hard Rooster

Hard Rooster Powder Monkey

Speculation is of no use. The fact is they're broken, have been for a long time, and it needs to be fixed, and it's not being fixed. Probably never will.

11. Barbed

Barbed First Mate

Krayzkat, no offence, you really far from IT, one phrase "instead of streaming video, it could be download" says that.
    And Its not an option by row of means. Among them hellish traffic and hardware price, different resolutions of devices, loading time and prehistoric approach itself.
    So CoC got some vise technology of identical battle models. Midoki must be on that way.

Last edited: May 10, 2015
  12. Captain Didwell

Captain Didwell First Mate

For sure, the replay system will be fix in the future.;)
    Midoki is somehow busy in others so managing there time for this issue and the upcoming event like the guild rumble is prioritized.:rolleyes:

13. Krayzkat

Krayzkat Crew

....and until the day Midoki implement replay recordings of what actually happened, you will decree there is no way it can be done. it has not been done already therefore it cannot be done is your mantra

14. Burnz

Burnz Captain

Clash replays are spot on and I wasn't a beta tester or anything, but I was there for the first halloween and never heard a complaint that their replays were off. Sure, you can only keep the 4 most recent replays, well 8, 4 offense, 4 defense, but when they were a starting company they were able to do it. I will admit, I don't have a solution, I don't work in this type of industry, but if they could do it 3 years ago, Midoki should be able to do it now (can't remember their start date, but I have 3 different christmas trees). It's kind of frustrating watching replays that don't match. My base is unique and I would love to see the exact point of where it failed, not some version of how it failed or won for that matter.

Tex likes this.
  15. Resarf

Resarf Captain

I assume they record what events happen. Ie what you deployed where, when you activated a special. Then try to play that back. However its off, perhaps a millisecond difference results in a missed resurection or a pirate going in a different direction etc.

It cant be recorded in video format, however they could rather than record every event, record every position of every troop and times of buildings coming down and when specials are on / off. This would be more accurate.

The guild shield possibly made it worse, there are lots of tricky things you can do with guild ships and specials that I bet they didn't allow for.

Raptelan likes this.
  16. Burnz

Burnz Captain

Resarf, I have noticed that when some of my replays aren't accurate, it seems to be due to a knockback, like a mortar strike or a bomb.

17. Resarf

Resarf Captain

@Burnz yes I agree, also due to resurrections seems to be common