Base Design #5

Discussion in 'Island design for each PH level' started by Pirate Fear, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Bear

Bear Commodore

The one thing we all agree on is that payment was rendered for a service concerning @Kelani

2. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

If you remember @Kelani we agreed to a repeating payment and your last check didn't clear

3. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Hm... I think you may have met an evil twin or impostor. I haven't written a check since 1999 or so :)

Interesting side note, the aforementioned neighbors packed up and moved out this morning. Quickly.

4. Cap'n Creeperb

Cap'n Creeperb First Mate

Very clever design, probably one of my favorites so far. I'm looking forward to redesign my island as soon as my PH is upgraded.

5. Bear

Bear Commodore

I kept that base design all the way through ph7(with some expansion and modification of course). I changed it a few days ago because I was ready for some change.

6. Amirah

Amirah Powder Monkey

How effective is this layout at fighting off attacks and reducing losses suffered in any given attack from both mines/distilleries on the outside as well as from their respective storage buildings in the center? I love the double wall feature, it's something I plane to incorporate, as I upgrade. I ask because I am currently upgrading to PH lvl 6, looking to change my current layout to a one with a more effective defense strategy; and this is one I'm considering.

I noticed a couple of things with this particular layout (from a design standpoint) that seems counterintuitive in someways (and logical in others). Would appreciate feedback!
    1. The first thing I noticed, is that all of the gold mines/grog distilleries are all together. I've "suffered" heavy losses that way, despite having level 10 cannons in range.
      1. The theoretical benefit to this design is that your fire power can be concentrated in just two directions. The downside being, it's all in one spot, making raids of each building fast business.
      2. Whereas if you had them spread out amongst other buildings it forces them to potentially deploy their pirates in smaller groups depending on which resource you value the most. (And we know those little guys don't always go where you want them to.) The obvious downside to this is, for example, having 5 cannons, 2 bunkers, 2 mortars, 2 gun towers, and 12 gold mines/grog distilleries all over the place, fire power targeting any one location is going to be reduced.
    2. The second thing I noticed is having the firepower just on the other side of the wall.
      1. I get that it's meant to extend the covered area, which is good. The problem with it is attacking pirates can begin to/bring down a cannon, etc. without bringing down the wall first, leaving the precious resources in the center completely unprotected.
      2. Having a wall followed by another building and THEN a cannon, mortar, etc. can be quite effective. The seconds it takes them to bring down a wall, and that building on the other side of the wall (just to get to what's still shooting at them, causing a lot of damage), often makes up for the couple of squares you lose in covered turf.

7. Let me tell you this, concentrated fire of multiple cannons is way more effective! So you can spread out your storages but that should mean you must spread out your defenses too! It's making the base defense a lot weaker.

8. Bear

Bear Commodore

It's been a while. Since I'm now ph 7. But, this layout worked very well for me. I defended well and didn't sacrifice a lot of loot. If you are active and check your collectors regularly then you will not lose much loot at all from them. It will all be in the storages. Which are well defended. And like I said. I modified this base slightly and kept it all the way to ph7. That's when i finally changed it.

9. Tikigirl

Tikigirl First Mate

Hey Bear, I've liked this base for a long time. I am doing an overhaul of my base today and would love to use some ideas (and by use some ideas I mean steal the whole thing lock, stock, and barrel) Thanks in advance and we will see how things go.

Bear likes this.
  10. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Right now, minor improvements:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
  11. PulverizerX11

PulverizerX11 Powder Monkey

Nice but I would mix gold and grog collectors so you don't lose all your uncollected gold/grog if attacked from left/right.

12. MTB ;o)

MTB ;o) Powder Monkey

And where are mines????

13. No idea, but that picture was from back in December ;)