Bumps

Discussion in 'Recruitment' started by Spongee, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

@Chris [Midoki] wrote

A while back bumps in the recruitment threads got ridiculous. Guess people were so eager for guild wars, they made bumping their version of guilds wars. It got pathetic! The forum was far more active back then, but due to excessive bumping there was nothing but recruitment threads filling up the first page of new posts. A person had to scroll through 3 pages to get to a real thead. In my opinion, if a person has nothing to say, the thread should not be bumped more than 1-2x week.

Curious what guidelines others on here feel should be considered proper etiquette when it comes to bumping threads.

Skillzone10 likes this.
  2. Fil

Fil Captain

3. Morgan Ford

Morgan Ford First Mate

Wicked!

Liquidjade and flyingdoucheman like this.
  4. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

I see the general consensus is no one really cares. :cool:

Bump away! :p

MorganFlint and Fil like this.
  5. Morgan Ford

Morgan Ford First Mate

I think this thread is a great idea. If nothing else it will be fun for a minute or two. Squirrel!

MorganFlint and flyingdoucheman like this.
  6. Ian

Ian Commodore

@Spongee I agree tat there should be limits on bumping threads.. There are still those that would remember the days and not only were threads bumped but multiple threads citing similar recruitment information.

Back then we made progress by at least limiting each guild to one official thread; and alliances guilds were encouraged to take on an alliance thread instead of multiple individual threads each cross promoting (which by the way I think is already covered)

Personally I don't see a need to bump a recruitment thread more than once per week. Besides, after the first few bumps it has a negative effect (a bit like junk mail, you don't even look at it after you see it the 4th or 5th time)

I would be interested and support a review of the guild lines to this effect.

MorganFlint and Morgan Ford like this.
  7. Fil

Fil Captain

Bump

MorganFlint and Morgan Ford like this.
  8. MorganFlint

MorganFlint Captain

Bump :p

Morgan Ford, Fil and Animalazzo like this.
  9. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

MorganFlint, Morgan Ford and Fil like this.
  10. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

YOU ARE THE WORST.

11. Skye

Skye Commodore

No reason to bump until its at least fallen off the first page of new posts, which should take a bit of time these days. But adding relevant content is different than bumping for the sake of a higher position on the post order.

Basically:
    Unless your post isn't easy to find anymore or,
    More relevant, on-topic information is being added (say you made a new guild high-score or some guild-wide policy has changed that is worth explaining to prospective recruits),
    Posting merely to post should be done sparingly.

12. Ian

Ian Commodore

Current Rules and Guidelines:

9. Always read stickies before posting, and always post in the proper sub forums. Not doing so can result in your post being trashed, moved or closed.

Sticky Note at top of Recruitment Section (Welcome):

This is the place if you're recruiting for your Guild. Give a brief description, why people should join and always be polite.
    Just a couple of rules:
    1) Don't spam other people's threads with recruitment ads for your Guild
    2) Don't use 'bump' or alternatives to keep you post high.​
    The most important thing about Guilds is to have fun, be respectful and build your own communities.
    Thanks!
    http://www.midoki.com/forum/index.php?threads/welcome.600/

Scar Face, Skillzone10 and Hawkbeard like this.
  13. Morgan Ford

Morgan Ford First Mate

Hey Mike, hey mike what day is it.......BUMP DAY!

Fil and flyingdoucheman like this.
  14. Ima Smellypirate

Ima Smellypirate Powder Monkey

Does "bump bump bump baby, come play with me" count as a bump...I may have broken the rules. Ugh...rules.

Mobotts and Morgan Ford like this.
  15. Mobotts

Mobotts Captain

I can't take you anywhere can I? You're lucky I love you so much ❤️❤️

16. Fil

Fil Captain

I think thats more of a guideline than a rule :confused:

flyingdoucheman, Tex and Mobotts like this.
  17. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

Bump, bump, bump....oh wait, only one bump at a time, right? Ugh, must follow rules...:eek:
    Hope new forum members don't see the amazing example we are setting of following the pirate code! All they need to know is..The grog flowing keeps the guild going!:D

Morgan Ford likes this.
  18. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

Why is it threads on this forum have an inversly proportionate relationship of usefulness to activity. Less useful the thread becomes, the more activity it receives. :confused:

19. Tex

Tex Commodore

[​IMG]

Ian, Scar Face, Liquidjade and 3 others like this.
  20. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

So is this the new inter-guild recruitment thread?

See how many banners we can get on one thread - whilst not falling foul of the 'no spamming other's recruitment thread' rule?

And @Spongee imo this thread is a very GOOD advert for the forum... Plenty of humour & zero negativity!

BUMP BUMP BUMPITY BUMP - a pirate's life for me.

Seawitch, Ian, Scar Face and 3 others like this.