[Cosmetic] right to left player name confuses guild message

Discussion in 'Guild Bugs' started by Morganza, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Morganza

Morganza Powder Monkey

Recently a player with an Arabic or Farsi name was kicked from my guild for inactivity.

The message had some right-to-left formatting issues: the name of the pirate was at what to a left-to-right reader would be the end of the line.

No screen shot but should be easy to reproduce.

2. Bou Regreg

Bou Regreg First Mate

How did it confuse the message? You, apparently, understood it easily enough to recognize the right to left flow of text.

3. Skye

Skye Commodore

So the rtl name mixed with ltr text had issues? Where was the rtl name supposed to appear in the text? Do issues happen in the opposite way (an ltr name leaving inside an rtl message)? A lot of these issues are very language dependent. Which ltr language and rtl language were being used? As they may be handled differently in different languages, depending on things like what svo order each language uses.

Internationalization is a huge pain so I can see why there would be issues.

(for a laugh, and to see how complicated this stuff gets,

explains it really well, and you don't need to know anything technical to understand it; if anything, I'm sure at least one of the devs responding to this will get a laugh at that rant!)

Bou Regreg likes this.