How to kill these new level 5 monsters

Discussion in 'Exploration Strategies' started by Rotten Kevy, Aug 23, 2015.

1. So, I was just sending out my ship like I always did to farthest corners, hitting the monsters there (usually level 4 and occasional 3s) for BP & EP and good loot... and my ship died. Sea monster killed it. Hmmm, that's weird... been a long time since that happened! Just sent it out again... same thing. Then I actually woke up and checked and the monster was level 5! Never seen that before! So, I guess this was also slipped in the update with the legendaries, but no been as much brouhaha about it.

Anyone been successful at killing these maxed out monsters?
    Here is the complement I usually used before: 11 bucs (26), 10 gunners (28), 4 brutes (23) , 4 jugs (17), 8 sky raiders (16), and 8 bombers (20). It was intended as a general purpose crew, with the bonuses for killing everything out there: ships, ghost ships, kraken, sea serpents, fish.
    But now I am thinking I should probably design each crew to kill a single level 5 target and use the best crew members for that target. Anyone got experience on that? I will try and post my own, but curious what others have seen.

2. Bring a Witch doctor! Yes they are expensive but they really make the difference!

Also why take skyraiders with you? Change them for gunners, same goes for bombers. No real need for those expensive lads on a exploration ship.
    That's the only advice I got, the rest of your crew should be enough.

3. Reason for sky raiders is Ghost Ships -- SRs have the bonus for taking those out, and back when level 4 was tops, I always got the best loot from the ghosts.

Will try WD next time. Just loaded up maxed out jugs and brutes to take out a lvl 5 sea serpent. We shall see...

But you never answered the question: HAVE you killed a level 5 seam monster yet?...

Lady O'maley likes this.
  4. I will let you in on a little secret: You shouldn't focus on the troops with skills against certain npc's. They usually don't make that much of a difference.

5. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

Here I stand. At the end of the PLaNk. I say Bucc the entire NAV crew!

This cat knows how to swim.

TiGeR

6. Skye

Skye Commodore

Skills seem to make a much bigger difference on the new map.

Brutes do not seem to get a noticable bonus against Kraken there, but Bombers still seem to! I swapped a couple brutes out of my squad for bombers, and I'm able to take 3 difficult battles per voyage instead of two, given their bonus. Right now I'm running 12 brutes, 12 gunners, 10 bombers and it takes 3 fights for relatively cheap (before I'd use all brutes because they're the cheapest and fastest to train per slot and had a bonus against any sea monster on the previous map). Suicidal voyages are now not even dangerous. If you're looking to fight a ghost ship, swap out 2 more brutes for 8 sky raiders.

In general I still think a 17 brute/2 gunner ship is better when not chaining a bunch of monsters, given how fast and cheap it recruits (certainly much cheaper than a bucc ship!), but it doesn't have as much survivability on the new map if you're trying to hit a bunch of things during your journey.