Improving performance in iOS9

Discussion in 'General Bugs' started by Lynsey [Midoki], Oct 21, 2015.

1. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Some of you may have notice a drop in performance in Plunder Pirates since updating to iOS 9, particularly on UI screens. If this is impacting on your gameplay experience, we recommend going into the device's General settings and switching 'Background App Refresh' to off (you may also see an improvement to your battery life and in the performance of other apps! ;)).

Ian and Super-Nor like this.
  2. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

Unfortunately I've had this off since... many OS versions ago. All of my reports and screencaps were taken with it off.

3. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

Unfortunately I accidentally updated my phone to iOS 9.2 and it's worse than ever. WARNING to all: DON't UPDATE TO IOS 9.2 or the lag will be soooo long that Ching Shih takes a whole minute to do one complete hitting of knives/leaning forward circulation!

4. Ian

Ian Commodore

SERIOUSLY...... How does one 'accidentally' update an iOS device to 9.2? You need to go though so many screens....

[EDIT: Ok, apparently you can accidentally upgrade. I withdraw my sarcasm (and save it for another post).... :(]

Secondly, I've been running the latest version on both and iPad and iPhone without any noticeable affect in game play. I did notice a slight lag when I first installed 9.0 but since then all has been good. I suggest if you want to upgrade your devise, then do so.. Test it, and then problem solve any issues listed above or through a support ticket...

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Tiger Claw likes this.
  5. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

After reading all the comments early on about iOS 9 I held off until yesterday because of issues that developed running iOS 8 on my old iPad 2. I really couldn't understand what was going on. My iPad 2 had a clean install of only basic apps and PP, but even so, its still seemed a bit jittery when rotating my island view. It was completely playable, but it still bothered me. That's when I decided to upgrade to iOS 9.0.2. Once I upgraded all the problems went away.

As a matter of fact, it worked so good that I decided to upgrade my iPad Air 2 as well. Both seem to be working great.

One can only assume that something weird most have happened to my previous iOS 8 operating system. What ever the case, both devices are working like a charm just as @Ian has indicated.

TiGeR

Ian likes this.
  6. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

You all mean 9.1 right? 9.1 came out today. Previously there was 9.0, 9.0.1 and 9.0.2.

And just as a reminder, it has always worked perfectly fine after a reboot (like what happens after upgrading). It's after you've opened (and closed) other apps that the issues start arising.

And @Ian it's actually pretty easy to "accidentally" upgrade these days, you get a modal pop up box asking you to upgrade now or later or not at all. If you do later it'll do it overnight.

Ian likes this.
  7. Ian

Ian Commodore

Well spotted @c00ni, thanks for that and corrected...

8. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

There is another update? Good grief :confused:. I just updated both yesterday to 9.0.2

Is this one safe @Ian ?

TiGeR

9. Ian

Ian Commodore

Updating now.. Will advise (unless of course it slows everything down. :( )

Tiger Claw likes this.
  10. Ian

Ian Commodore

@Tiger Claw , Update complete on the iPad.. Logged into PP and had a quick plunder; moved across to and around the 'Explore' map; watch an add; moved through some of the other screens (Tavern, Silo, etc)

Initial (reserved) feedback is that it appears good to play and plays as well as it did before the upgrade; will update one the iPhone is competed also..

[UPDATE] iPhone 6, updated and logged in.. completed a similar set of task as above. Apart from remembering why I don't play on an iPhone. I could not fine any reason not upgrade, or any fault with the game play following the upgrade.

Tiger Claw likes this.
  11. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

Thanks @Ian

I'll update everything again tomorrow. :confused:

TiGeR

Ian likes this.
  12. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

After 12 hours of testing it seems today's iOS 9.1 isn't slowing down on my iPhone 6S.
    On 9.0.2 I was still getting occasional dramatic slow downs of the UI.
    Will report back after further use.

13. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

GREAT! I'm gonna update my device to 9.1 then!

14. Cptpoker

Cptpoker Powder Monkey

Yes, 9.1 is so cool, i confirm and already test on my iPhone6plus and iPad air. Smooth like silk... ^^

15. rhorun

rhorun Crew

So I am using an Ipad2 IOS 9.1 the game has become unplayable I keep getting blacked out and then returned to the home screen

For those of you who say send in a ticket I would love to except that also crashes 6 times in a row

Help please I just want to be able to play on this iPad

16. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Rhorun, we're currently looking into some performance issues on iPad 2.

17. rhorun

rhorun Crew

Ok ty

18. rhorun

rhorun Crew

I hope you resolve this soon it's getting annoying esp when booted out of a streak to be unable to cook new troops ending the streak!

19. RonUK

RonUK Crew

@Lynsey [Midoki] Is there any update on the fix for pirates sailing the iPad 2 seas? I've now deleted most other apps on my iPad 2, have lots of free memory but still multiple crashes on my iPad 2 running iOS 9.1. Reinstalling the app makes no difference, rebooting the iPad makes no difference, it's starting to feel like posting on here makes no difference either... please help or I may start walking the plank

20. Skye

Skye Commodore

They probably won't be able to do anything until the next client update unfortunately, which hopefully won't take too long. They are certainly looking into fixing it :)

The memory issues you're likely running into are from a lack of RAM, which shouldn't be noticably effected by how many apps you have installed (storage is a different kind of memory). Assuming the issue is being caused by lack of memory, that is :)

RonUK likes this.