Is the Witch Doctor a good shipmate?

Discussion in 'Exploration Strategies' started by Daddy P, Jan 9, 2015.

1. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

Anyone seen any information about whether a witch doctor provides any protection to troops on the boat when fighting at sea?

2. porrig

porrig Crew

I used to use him, but after a bit more training I've stopped as he's too expensive and takes too long to recruit. Depending on what I'm hunting (mostly 4* fish) I use a combination of Brutes, Buccs and Gunners. If its a 4* Ghost Ship I'll drop the Gunners so that I can take the max number of Sky Raiders as I've trained them with that ability.

As long as my boat is full of the right troops I've never lost a battle, so I don't think the Witch Doctor makes much difference.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  3. Salty Snack

Salty Snack Captain

I've never noticed any difference with a WD on board.

4. ll DarkZero ll

ll DarkZero ll Captain

I tried to use him but he always died, then it became to expensive and I don't think it makes a difference. The primary loadout for ships should be Buccs, Gunners, Brutes and Juggs. I've only lost once at sea and that was because I accidentally sailed through a Lvl 4 Santa Ship, Lvl 4 Royal Navy, Lvl 4 Bigger Fish and a Lvl 4 Serpent. I made it to the Serpent before getting killed though.

5. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

I don't intentionally train a WD for ship voyages, but I almost always train a WD for my attack squad. When I log on and don't have time or feel like battling, I will sail my attack squad. And once I sail that squad, I keep redeploying it until it is no longer effective. So, many trips will have a WD on board. Just wondered if it had any effect on the troops. With my level troops, I never worry about losing unless I do like DarkZero and get greedy. ;)

6. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Not sure if he provides any protective benefit, I'd also like to know this. Without that knowledge, though, I think he's a total waste on a ship. With a L5 ship, I've been able to defeat every 4* entity on the map with roughly the same crew (adjusted for ghost ships)

3 Juggs w/skill
    3 Brutes w/skill 21
    28 Buccaneers w/skill
    16 Gunners w/skill

When going for a ghost ship, I replace 8 of the bucs with Raiders w/skill and no problems.

You could probably even get away with more bucs, and they're worth it. I love them for my ship, because even though I upgraded them to L16 precisely for ship duty, they still only cost 38 seconds and 500 grog to hire.

7. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

I totally agree that there are plenty of troop combos that are plenty effective at voyage attacks. However, I can't say the WD is a waste without hearing from Midoki, I guess, about the WD effect. This may become more relevant if new maps are introduced and if we ever encounter the legendary lvl 5 beast. :eek:

Kelani likes this.
  8. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I agree. Just saying that until we know one way of the other, he's so expensive and long-in-the-hiring, that he's not needed.

The good news: I think I can answer this question for you in 2-3 days without Midoki's input. :) (though I'd welcome it). I have to take out a L4 fish to get one of my remaining map squares, and since I've kept track of how many troops each 4* monster ate in all my battles, I can send a WD on that last voyage, and see if there's any notable reduction in the number of troops eaten. The total-troops-eaten seems fairly consistent, so if he has an effect, it should be pretty apparent.

I'll give it a try and post results when I get them.

porrig and Daddy P like this.
  9. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

I'm so thankful for those who approach these games very analytically. It's a tremendous help to us by-the-seat-of-the-pants, throw-all-the-marbles-in-the-air-and-see-where-they-fall, players.

Morganza and Kelani like this.
  10. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Glad to help. :) My guild members think I'm crazy for all my game analysis, (I am, but that's unrelated) the truth is, I just love a good mystery. :) I've been wondering the same thing about Mr. WD ever since I read that someone included him in a ship crew. I also remember an old post from Midoki that said certain features of troops had no effect on sea battles. I just can't remember whether that was toughness, damage or non-exploring skills.

11. Burnz

Burnz Captain

Whenever I sent one on a voyage, it always seemed to die so I haven't sent one in a long time.

12. ElGordo

ElGordo First Mate

Interesting, I have always a WD on board and he nearly never dies.
    (was sitting alone in the taverne when ship comes back so he joined the crew)
    Much better than the priestess. Both I have had once on board died during battle with ghost ship.

On the other hand, I don't understand the AI of the ship at all.

13. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Sent off a WD and my normal ship crew to a 4* Big Fish today. Should have some troops eaten results tomorrow afternoon. :)

14. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

@Daddy P Got some results for you, and everyone else. :) Hey, @Gangrene Beard here's one for your rumors/tips thread:

Yes! Having a Witch Doctor on your ship seems to reduce troops lost in sea battles by ~40%!. :)

I've tracked the troops eaten & rewards from 4* Fishes/Serpents ever since I first started killing them. So I averaged up all of the troop losses from 10 battles with the same fish, then I sent a full boat of my standard ship crew to a 4* Big Fish. (3 Juggs, 3 Brutes, rest 60%/40% Bucs/Gunners, swapping one buc & gunner for a WD)

4* Big Fish - Troops Eaten, No WD
    (avg: 10 previous battles)
    ================================
    11 Bucs
    9 Gunners
    2 Brutes
    2 Juggs

4* Big Fish - Troops Eaten, With WD

============================
    7 Bucs (-4)
    5 Gunners (-4)
    3 Brutes/Skill (-1)
    1 Juggs (-1)

Of course, I'll need to test it again with the fish and a few other monsters, but seeing as my troop losses from each monster have been very consistent over multiple battles, I don't expect any big surprises there.

One neat thing: For some reason, when you send a WD on your boat, he tends to survive. I've seen him killed before, but for the most part, he'll make it back, so you can keep reusing him for future voyages.

Daddy P likes this.
  15. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

My WD usually survives multiple voyages. Great news! While a $100k+ WD may not be a bargain, he could help at earlier levels, such as when it kept telling me my trip was suicidal against a lvl 4 ghost ship until I leveled up. A WD might have tipped the balance and may make a difference against a future lvl 5 beast.

Kelani likes this.
  16. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Yeah, it definitely could have. I have to keep in mind that I used a 50k WD with Guardian, so a pre-Guardian WD, I'd expect would give a 20% reduction, or so. Still, not a bad thing to have on those tough battles.

17. Bear

Bear Commodore

I have always sailed with a WD. But only because I sail with an exact duplicate of my raiding party. Thst way if I need to do a quick double attack to start an upgrade I can do it.

18. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

Good idea. Most of my voyages were with one Buch, unless I specifically was targeting a creature or ship. However, often I would sail with my raiding party, which usually lasted 4 or 5 voyages. That's a great idea to send a full squadron to double up attacks.

Bear likes this.
  19. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Just for fun, I'm going to test this with two WDs. I doubt it'll do anything different, but you never know. :)

20. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

As I recall, overlapping WDs doesn't increase protection, right? If they are on a boat, wouldn't they always be overlapping?