Let's talk Rumbles

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by Unique Rebel, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Unique Rebel

Unique Rebel First Mate

Been active on forums a few months & been playing the game a few years. The best decision I ever made. Wonderful guild members and great support from Midoki too. Whilst moving through many guilds I have picked up on ideas that an alternative rumble of 10 battles per active member out of a possible 50 members, wins or losses. All scores combined & maybe limit an amount of gems to gamble ;) highest scorer gets a better percentage. At moment even inactives get the same rewards, maybe additional ideas from other dedicated players could further improve what I started. so players that are active and it shows in their profile stats would be accepted in to bigger and better guilds that way and may make way for a different level in gameplay. Let's see what happens...

2. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Rumbles will be changing in the next update, switching from 5 guilds to 1 v 1 - this will allow us to tighten up the matchmaking, meaning that smaller guilds will have more meaningful Rumbles that they actually have a chance of winning, and bigger guilds can be given bigger rewards (as they should always be fighting a relevant guild). We'll monitor that for a while to see how it goes, and make further tweaks as needed! :)

3. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

4. Lynsey [Midoki]

It'll be before Christmas. (Usual disclaimers apply!).

5. Unique Rebel

Unique Rebel First Mate

Great news :) that should give us enough time to max our Legendary Pirates levels and get ready in time to kick some pirates butt cheeks ;) ;) ;) with the next phase in rumbling. Oh exciting times ahead, also I could do with an extra 25 walls whilst striving to create the perfect island Always having to take off a wall here and put it over there and back again, can't seem to get it right.. hint hint ;)

6. NinjaNurse

NinjaNurse Crew

Is it mandatory 1 v 1 or will there be a choice of 1 v 1 and a group of five?

7. Lynsey [Midoki]

They'll all be 1v1.

Unique Rebel likes this.
  8. Unique Rebel

Unique Rebel First Mate

Everyone stops breathing after hearing that last response, lol. The new system sounds fair as smaller guilds will have an increased chance of winning... great stuff ;) plus bigger guilds will have increased rewards. Nice progressive thinking.

lady blackbeard and Oak Island like this.
  9. Oak Island

Oak Island Captain

I agree with increasing the chances for smaller guilds. It is definitely unfair for them at this point. I have a few worries, like match times. I also wonder how matches will be made; will it be based on how many players are in a guild, or average rumble scores? Maybe something different? 1 v 1 sounds cool and I like increased rewards for bigger fights but I also don’t want to wait 5 hours for a match because I’m in a guild that generally scores pretty high. It will be very interesting to see how this all works out, and I hope it adds a new element of fun to the game!

Cheers and happy sailing,

-Oak

850arrr and Unique Rebel like this.
  10. Lynsey [Midoki]

As with all new systems, it may require a bit of tweaking in the early days to get it working as intended - we can have a good guess pre-release at how it'll pan out using facts and figures, but the reality is that we won't know how it'll actually perform until it's out in the wild!

Currently the plan is to keep the matchmaking parameters as they are currently, which is based on a) number of guild members, and b) Pirate Hall level distribution within the guild. The hope is that this will provide narrow enough matchmaking that all guilds enter a Rumble with a fighting chance, whilst keeping it broad enough that guilds have a good variety of matchups. We've put in measures so that guilds can't be repeatedly matched over and over again over a short time period, which will also increase variety in matchups, and prevent guilds from trying to game the system (eg allied guilds always trying to organise Rumbles at the same time so that the one can repeatedly win, boosting member resources and the guild's position up the Rumble leaderboard).

We have looked at using average Rumble Score as a matchmaking parameter, but my fear is that the guilds at the very top with the crazy scores would suffer from much longer matchup times, and have a restricted opponent pool. We're not completely taking it off the table though - we're just waiting to see how the initial change pans out!

I'm planning on creating a matchmaking discussion thread when the update goes live, so can all give your feedback about your matches, good and bad (but hopefully mostly good!:p).

WOLLIMAUS, 850arrr and Unique Rebel like this.
  11. Captain Ironfist

Captain Ironfist Powder Monkey

Please no more walls! o_O There are some really tough layouts out there that I still haven't cracked yet, some I can only rarely one star still (will persevere though ;)), it's part of the challenge to try and create the layout as well as identifying the weaknesses in bases when attacking.

12. bar1

bar1 Powder Monkey

Please do consider adding average score per player in the match making. Maybe the avg. of the last 10 rumbles or something like that. The current system is boring for top guilds. Competition is healthy for guilds as well as for the game.

Heatmiser4 and WOLLIMAUS like this.
  13. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

Where it makes it fairer when u still match guilds where both have the same ph lvls and members but one guilds players rumble is for example 10-20k and the other guild the have a ave 2 -5k? The lower rumble ave guild still has NO chance to win the higher rumble ave guild. The lower rumble ave guild has for a reason that lower ave, because they are NOT that competitive like the 10-20k guild.

Some bigger guilds want easy matches o_O... some don‘t :). It depends how that guilds like to play the game. Having a nice fair fight where both guilds have a chance to win or just rolling over the others because the others are not that competitive(read: don‘t want or can‘t spend a lot gems in rumbles)

How about to take also the gems spended average per rumble/guild into the calculation for the matchmaking? Gem burners always against each other.... then we would have a healthy and fairer matchmaking. How sounds that??? :p:D

@bar1
    I think it would make the matchmaking more interesting and fairer, but i guess it is to difficult to make that. The calculations for every players rumble ave would need to be done when button is pushed.... that just needs to long and means the matchmaking needs even longer then it is now sometimes already. The system can‘t calculate them in advance te be ready for next rumble.... players are leaving or joining and some guilds are rumbling only twice a week.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
    Heatmiser4 likes this.
  14. Lynsey [Midoki]

In principle it's not that difficult - a guild would hit the Rumble button, we'd look at every member of the guild's average Rumble score, combine it, and sort the matchmaking based on that. If someone leaves or joins the guild during matchmaking, then the matchmaking will recalculate (just as it does currently - if someone leaves or enters a guild, it restarts matchmaking as your guild composition has changed).

However, changing Rumbles from 5 guilds to 2 is quite a major change, and we want to see what the impact/result of that is first before making any changes to matchmaking. As I've mentioned previously, we may bring in average score based matchmaking depending on the analytics and feedback from the initial change.

WOLLIMAUS and Unique Rebel like this.
  15. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

@Lynsey [Midoki] What u think about this idea??? I mean a big guild what is anyway not(much) spending gems in rumbles....for what reason they should start doing so if(when) they match again with a much more competitive guild??

16. Lynsey [Midoki]

That would effectively be the same as the average Rumble score-based matchmaking mentioned last month.

17. PTO Plunderer

PTO Plunderer Captain

Something else to consider when talking using average score, or even average gems — when you have done 1000 rumbles, throwing down a score of 40,000 or a bunch of gems every now and then won’t really change your average drastically. So for the average scores/gem usage to make sense they would need to be based on recent rumbles, not the lifespan of the rumbles.

Just a thought.

18. Lynsey [Midoki]

Yep, if we were to do it, it'd be on a rolling average of the players' last 7-10 Rumbles, which would be the reflective of a guild in its current state. Lifetime would be a bit silly, as long standing max level guilds would be a bit skewed by the early Rumble scores which were a lot lower!

WOLLIMAUS likes this.
  19. PTO Plunderer

PTO Plunderer Captain

In theory with a 7-10 rumble cycle though, wouldn’t it be easy to “fake” being a low scoring guild? Everyone could take a week off while they wait for their scores to basically reset so they only pull easy rumbles.

WOLLIMAUS likes this.
  20. only if we play test drive......