Moving hazards on the exploration map could add an interesting element

Discussion in 'Exploration Improvements' started by FlyingJoe's Fear, Nov 10, 2015.

1. I would really enjoy the idea of having a couple of hazards moving around on the map over time - which we would obviously want to avoid on our travels.

For example, a moving storm or typhoon, and a moving whirlpool, both of which can cause damage and possibly even make our planned route change as a result of being pulled along one square with the hazard as they idly move around the map.

would add some interesting strategic planning when selecting routes, and add tension on long exploration trips. I would end up checking the map frequently to see if I miss the storm drifting across my path... :)

Coding would be very different, but perhaps the programmers can use some of the same code for the ship movement and display on the map.

I think this could really liven up the whole map experience

2. Separately, I think a great great mini game would be to build on the whirlpool as a gateway to another, very different map. So we would actually try to get into the whirlpool and would need to check in when we got dragged into the other map in order to play that one.

There could be a whirlpool on the other map which takes us back. And if that whirlpool regularly crossed the spawn point on that map, then you would have to check in at the right time to get your ship away from its path and explore this other map. Adds another interesting resource and strategy element.

the whirlpools would disappear and respawn like fish or ships do now, so you can only get sucked down once per trip. They already have the code for that.

What would be on this other map? Liking things complicated, I would say that is where you would have to go to recruit a new type of pirate for your ship. Nothing too game changing, but rewarding enough to make it worth some hassle. Easy for me to say...lol.

Maybe it could be a mini-game, that we would try to get good at, and knowing we can only be there so long, with gaps of time in between, it would be challenging to figure out or perfect our techniques. Create buzz and discussion among players, new and old, so that newer players have an opportunity to be good at something regardless of their state of their island.