Name the Island Winners!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Lynsey [Midoki], Aug 21, 2017.

1. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Ahoy!

Our Name the Island’ competition had a lot of entries, and it was hard to pick just one. We all had our favourites, so after a lot of debate and discussion we decided to pick three winners!

The first winner is...

[​IMG]

Tyrfing’s Torment

...submitted by spiky shallows of the guild ‘Not Guilty’.

Tyrfing was a cursed blade in Norse mythology. As one of the islands had a sword stuck in it, it seemed like an excellent fit! Congratulations, Spiky, and thanks for the great name! Hopefully our Tyrfing will claim fewer victims than the one of myth!

The next island will be announced tomorrow!

Barbe Rose, Slim Hawks and Dog Breath like this.
  2. Slim Hawks

Slim Hawks Crew

That's an awesome name for a Northern island, congrats spiky shallows!

3. Dog Breath

Dog Breath First Mate

Congratulations Spiky Shallows !

4. Omar Ceceña

Omar Ceceña First Mate

3 winners you say @Lynsey [Midoki] ? Quite a surprise if I say so myself!! Anywho...enough jibber jabber,..Congratulations Spiky Shallows!! :):D:cool:

5. Lynsey [Midoki]

It genuinely was hard to whittle it down to only three! And, as with the case of two of the winners, we had other islands that fitted them perfectly!

6. Barbe Rose

Barbe Rose Crew

Congratulations to Spiky Shallows! Here’s a piece of information collected from Wikipedia (for those too lazy to google it, I barely managed myself. But I couldn’t resist commenting it a bit ;):

“Tyrfing, Tirfing or Tyrving (The name is of uncertain origin, possibly connected to the Terwingi) was a magic sword in Norse mythology, which figures in the Tyrfing Cycle (…)

Svafrlami was the king of Gardariki, and Odin's grandson. He managed to trap the dwarves Dvalinn and Durin when they had left the rock where they dwelt. Then he forced them to forge a sword with a golden hilt that would never miss a stroke, would never rust and would cut through stone and iron as easily as through clothes.”

Now, at this point you might think that Midoki is promoting slavery (or dwarfish slavery which would be even worse, those poor little folks already work a lot for unpaid wages during Christmas time). But no, wait for it …

“The dwarves made the sword, and it shone and gleamed like fire. However, in revenge they cursed it so that it would kill a man every time it was drawn and that it would be the cause of three great evils. They finally cursed it so that it would also kill Svafrlami himself.”

Anyone else sees the metaphorical connection with gems, also a source of great evil for our bank accounts?

“When Svafrlami heard the curses he tried to slay Dvalin, but the dwarf disappeared into the rock and the sword was driven deep into it, though missing its victim.”

And that (Svafrlami fellow) would be us, ranting around this forum, and Midoki team disappearing into … well maybe not rocks but somewhere deep …:p

7. Omar Ceceña

Omar Ceceña First Mate

Soooooooooo...anywhooüüü...:D:);) lol

Barbe Rose likes this.
  8. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

Nice story Barbe Rose, well done ;), i like it very much. Your metaphor is :D:D

the best is here:
    And that (Svafrlami fellow) would be us, ranting around this forum, and Midoki team disappearing into … well maybe not rocks but somewhere deep …:p

Barbe Rose likes this.
  9. Slim Hawks

Slim Hawks Crew

I would have expected nothing less from a passionate historian like @Barbe Rose -- conducting research, expounding on it, and making metaphorical connections to the present context :cool:

Barbe Rose likes this.
  10. Lynsey [Midoki]

I am a little on the short side.

Barbe Rose and Slim Hawks like this.
  11. Lynsey [Midoki]

Today's winner is Frostbite Cove, submitted by skull island of the guild pirates'o'kernow!

[​IMG]

We had a lot of Frostbite and Frostbitten [Insert geological formation here], but skull island was the first! Congratulations skull island!

WOLLIMAUS, Slim Hawks and Barbe Rose like this.
  12. Slim Hawks

Slim Hawks Crew

A very fitting name -- congratulations skull island!

13. Dog Breath

Dog Breath First Mate

Congratulations Skull Island !

14. Omar Ceceña

Omar Ceceña First Mate

Nice! Congrats to you Skull Island. Enjoy your spoils!! ;):):D

15. Lynsey [Midoki]

And our final winner...

[​IMG]

Icengard, submitted by Pappa Bob of Witty Crew. It's a pun that references Lord of the Rings and the climate - what's not to love? Pappa Bob also submitted the puntastic 'Coldplayce', which was also a big hit, but sadly vetoed due to my irrational* loathing of Coldplay. ;) Congratulations, Pappa Bob!

So, there you have it. Three of the islands on the shiny new Northern Seas map, coming in the next update!

* It's not actually irrational, Coldplay are rubbish.

16. Slim Hawks

Slim Hawks Crew

Congratulations Pappa Bob! 'Icengard' and 'Coldplayce' are both ace names for the Northern islands. I think I would have chosen the former over the latter as well, even though I have a fondness for Coldplay, listening to their music while snowboarding down the slopes of Val d'Isère is my idea of heaven.

MorganFlint likes this.
  17. Dog Breath

Dog Breath First Mate

Congratulations Pappa Bob !

18. ElFrenetico

ElFrenetico Captain

Congrats to Spiky, Skull & Pappa! All well-deserved, and I'm looking forward to discovering all of your islands soon. :)

Thanks to Midoki for giving us armchair pirates a way to be part of the next update, too. :)

Slim Hawks likes this.
  19. Barbe Rose

Barbe Rose Crew

Congratulations to the winners! That was a great initiative from Midoki. Really hope we see more stuff like that coming up.

Time for learning some useless facts? Alright. There is actually a Frostbite Cove: it’s located in Canada (next to Furby’s Cove, in the Little Passage). But again, when you are looking for something strange it’s often in Canada (I heard Snoop Dogg was already there).

http://www4.nrcan.gc.ca/recherche-de-noms-de-lieux/unique/ACDHU

On a more personal note: Frostbite is also what my (witch)doctor told me was happening to my finger because I keep pushing that “next” button when searching for rival island’s.

I do have to agree with Lindsey though: a cold, remote and god forsaken place far up north is indeed where Coldplay deserves to be. And I’m not talking about Iceland (poor fellows there have done nothing wrong, well except maybe Björk).

20. Lynsey [Midoki]

I like to think that we British are the masters of ridiculous place names. Frostbite Cove sounds awesome, Furby's Cove sounds like the stuff of nightmares though...

http://mentalfloss.com/article/69445/43-charmingly-odd-british-town-names

(They spelt Bishop's Itchington wrong in the article though!)