New Rumble matching - need clarification

Discussion in 'Guild Bugs' started by Kelani, Sep 1, 2015.

1. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

@Lynsey [Midoki] You stated in the matchmaking tweak thread that the tweak should ensure PH7-9 guilds won't match guilds with bases below PH6. However, nothing was said about what happens to guilds with PH6 bases (or below). Does this tweak mean:

1. All guilds can only match guilds with bases at most one PH level below their lowest-level base, or
    2. Only PH7-9 guilds get the benefit? i.e. If you have PH6 or below, you're out of luck?

Can you please clarify how or if this tweak works for guilds with PH6 (And sub-PH6) bases?

I ask because while TN is mostly PH8-9, we do have four PH6 bases (we like to mentor the occasional newer player). In our last rumble, one guild we matched had a PH5 mini. OK, that makes sense. However, yesterday we matched a guild with a large number of PH1-5 bases. That makes less sense. So, essentially, even though we have no minis, we apparently remain completely vulnerable with this tweak.

If this is working as intended, may I suggest that you please consider applying it downward? This tweak puts us in quite a predicament. Not only are we essentially forced to stop accepting any new PH6 members, If we want to have mini-free rumbles, we must either:

1. Unfairly force our PH6s to upgrade to PH7 faster than they should.
    2. Kick them all.
    3. Stop rumbling.
    4. Keep rumbling, and getting creamed by minis.

None of these options are particularly appealing.

Additionally, due to many factors, unless you're a fixture on the Leaderboard, It's become quite difficult to find quality new members. To help with that, we lowered our join criteria to PH6. I feel that lumping all non PH7-9 guilds into one Mini-laden rumble pile will discourage guilds like ours from giving midrange members a chance, and will make recruitment even more difficult.

Shonda La likes this.
  2. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

It seems from @Lynsey [Midoki]'s post that if you have larger than a three level distribution, you are lumped into an 'anything goes' group. So I don't think, based on her post, that it's a one level below thing as much as it is a distribution thing. So anyone with ph6 (or below)-9 can be matched with a mini laden guild. A guild with ph6-8 would only be matched with guilds having ph5-9 bc they only span three levels. So yes, it would seem that having a ph6 in a guild where you have ph9s would subject you to a scenario you just outlined.

Kelani likes this.
  3. Ian

Ian Commodore

This would then seem that as this game gets more 'tweaks', Guilds need to decide on a specific focus. Be that a training guild, a farming guild or a high level rumble guild, etc. I think the days of the 'generic' guild seems to be over.

awbo likes this.
  4. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

Agreed.

5. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

I suspect this wont get addressed until the new rumble scoring system is (if ever) released.

Shonda La likes this.
  6. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

7. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I'm inclined to agree with that. just thought i'd put it out there :)

8. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

The tweaked matching is for guilds with a narrow band (3 or fewer) of PH levels - so:

If your guild is full of PH 1-3, you won't be matched against any guild that has PH4 or higher members
    If your guild is full of PH 2-4, you won't be matched against any guild that has PH1 members, or PH 5 or higher
    If your guild is full of PH 3-5, you wont be matched against any guild has PH2 or lower members, or PH6 or higher
    ...and so on

If your guild has a wider band of PH levels, then you fall into the pre-existing matchmaking and so are more likely to be matched with other guilds with a broader range of PH levels, which can unfortunately include minis.

Skye and Kelani like this.
  9. awbo

awbo Captain

Thank you for the clarification. Ok, everyone upgrade to the next PH level.....now.

# Johnny Doe # and Ian like this.
  10. John56

John56 First Mate

Wow, this makes our Rumble/no Rumble sister Guilds even more useful; we can send our PH6's and lower to Midnight Raiders for the duration of the Rumble if we want a mini-free matchup.
    Upgrading to PH7 now, JJ - please don't boot me!!!

awbo and Ian like this.
  11. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Thanks for the clarification @Lynsey [Midoki] :)

I guess until matchmaking is refined further, or we give in and create a farming guild, our days of mentoring lower level PHs are over. :(

12. Bou Regreg

Bou Regreg First Mate

All is not lost, there is still hope tha Midoki can come up with a new scoring system. But until that time PH6-PH9 guilds are SOL.

Kelani likes this.
  13. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

That's what happened to me:(

14. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

@Lynsey [Midoki] Bumping this old thread....the past month or so our guild of 35 members (a mix of PH's but non under PH 7) has been getting paired up the big 50 member guilds such as Laughing Skulls, Banging Skulls, Oh Canada and all the those monster super guilds. Not sure why this is happening, we can't even come close to matching their super strength and our members are getting fed up with rumbles. Has something changed? I remember not too long ago we were getting pretty fair match ups and had fun rumbling, but now when we see say Banging Skulls popup we just laugh and go f*this.

15. awbo

awbo Captain

I'll be surprised if you get a response to this. Someone told me that number-wise you can match +-25, so as soon as your numbers are 25 or more you can be matched against full guilds. Of course they TRY to match evenly, but when there aren't any similar guilds the matching pool widens to include (from what I can see) basically every guild in the game. You're right, some match ups you might as well sit back and watch the show.

16. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

I figured that's what happening but its getting old. We only rumble twice a week and for the last month its been nothing but sitting back and watching a big guild eat us up. Right now its Banging Skulls and a Russian guild at 350,000+, pffft great.

17. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

Lets be honest. If you are a guild that actually rumbles 24/7, and rumbled against a 24/7 rumbling guild, the chances of being matched with the exact same guild you rumbled with are pretty high. Especially if both guilds are even in strength, and just had a solid rumble. It considers the matchup fair, and pairs you up. Gets kinda boring. That's why some guilds like to leave some time in between. So they don't get the exact same matchup, again and again.

18. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

Aww man, I missed the rumble again! Lol. What guild are you from?

19. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

Outlanders

20. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

Ahh, sweet. Banging Skulls rumbles hard. always. Just bring out the popcorn, and entertain yourself. Best thing to do in hopeless rumbles...:D