New Rumble Matchmaking!

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by Lynsey [Midoki], Jun 25, 2019.

1. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

Took the survey. Hope it helps sort things out. I think mostly people are happy with the changes. A few tweaks should iron out the kinks. Hopefully small, scrappy guilds will get rewards worth fighting for again! Thank you!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2019
  2. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

Thanks for your answer Lynsey.
    I know you can’t keep all of the people happy all the time and I feel this system is producing the most even matching we’ve seen.
    I suspect we are in the lower end of a fairly high tier which sees us losing more regularly than before against well organised guilds with big numbers gemming like crazy at the end to win (while keeping their score as low as possible). For the likes of us, the fun is being sucked out of the game by having almost no chance of a win while playing the way we want to.
    We don’t really want to play several rumbles scoring nothing to try to lower the tier we are in. That doesn’t seem to be a fun way to play. We also don’t want to split the group into two, to again get into lower tiers. These are the things that we and I’m sure others are discussing.
    I do believe the playing field is more level now than before, but I’d like to see the tweaking continue. Is there a chance of introducing random hour (or so) periods into the rumbles where gems can’t be used. This would leave gem usage in the game, but would encourage better rumbling as you could no longer count on getting 90 percent of your score in the last two hours.

3. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

I haven’t been in a big guild consistently for a while now....just curious if you’ve tried different start times and if they made any difference at all? If your end time is around the time most of you can be online, it’s can be quite fun. Haha

4. MorganFlint

MorganFlint Captain

The new rumble matching is a test of patience for sure....I’m glad some players are happy. I assume the middle is were it is decent. The lower tiers have low rewards but fast matches. The upper tiers have better rewards but have to often wait 10-18+ hours for a match. This wait will be detrimental during events where rivals count as bonus, not to mention it’s a losing deal for Midoki because they have fewer players are using gems because no rumble, and for the guild those higher rewards get diluted because of the wait times (maybe 4-5 rumbles a week instead of 7), plus....while I understand the logic of search parameter resets if someone leaves or joins, the guilds waiting hours for a match are essentially having to lock the shop, which is inconvenient at best.

Oak Island, Taipanfan and Intimidator like this.
  5. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

Yes, we’ve played with start times a bit. It makes little to no difference because the wait time pushes you wherever it wants. Big numbers is clearly a benefit at the end so very suited to a guild from one part of the world. However, we are very international, great for having people on at all times but hopeless for big numbers at one time.

6. Dutchie

Dutchie First Mate

The new rumbling matchmaking system means that guilds now have to rumble 24x7 to get a lower average. Guilds that rumble part time and score highly will have a higher average and get matched with guilds above their usual station. There is now no incentive to score if matched against a better guild because it will only push up your average and possibly it may prevent a tier drop in order to get matched to guilds around one’s position on the rumble leaderboard. This is my experience so far in a part time rumble guild outside the top 20 rumble leaderboard, that seems to get consistently matched with guilds in the top 10.

7. Oak Island

Oak Island Captain

Good morning @Lynsey [Midoki] - so we just matched the same guild (POCCNR) twice in a row, which I thought wasn’t supposed to happen anymore? It was not a long wait time or anything weird, so how come we got the same match twice in a row? Any explanation at all would be great!

Cheers!

-Oak

850arrr likes this.
  8. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

We originally had it that the same two guilds couldn't match for a week. We reduced this down to two days, but the big guilds were increasingly complaining about long matchmaking times. So we reduced it some more. We acknowledge from the survey results (and from our customer support tickets) that this may have been a little too much, so, based on the various feedback we've received, we've made some tweaks that should be going out tomorrow.

850arrr likes this.
  9. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

That's good to hear, our guild is fed up with the current matching.

10. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

Good to hear. I was in an event guild the past week and we matched the same guild like 3 x in a row if I remember correctly.

850arrr likes this.
  11. Lynsey [Midoki]

OK!

We're putting out a few tweaks today as a result of the feedback from the survey. Before I get into that though, can I thank each and every one of you who took the time to fill it out - much appreciated!

A quick overview of the results:

Generally speaking, the vast majority of respondents were happy with the recent changes to Rumbles, finding that both rewards and the quality of the matchmaking had improved. Huzzah!

However, even amongst the happy players there was the complaint that they were matched against the same guilds too often, with some grumbles about matchmaking times. There was also a minority of respondents who were unhappy with the rewards and felt that the matchmaking hadn't improved, and we noticed that these mostly came from smaller guilds. So, we've taken the following action:

Increased the time before guilds can be rematched

This should reduce the instances of 'OMG not these guys again, it's been four days in a row'.

The number of tiers has been reduced from 56 to 30
    The granularity of lower scoring tiers has been increased, whereas it's been decreased at the upper levels

These two changes should:

Give lower level guilds better matchups
    Increase the speed and variety in matchups for high scoring guilds (due to the tiers being slightly wider, and less of them). This may lead to a slight increase in inaccurate matchups - it's a fine balancing act!

Increased the rewards for lower and mid-scoring guilds

The rewards have been generally improved - however, the best rewards are still reserved for the biggest and most active guilds (as you'd expect). If you've got a Rumble currently running, you'll still have the previous rewards - you'll have to wait until you start a new Rumble to see the new system.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  12. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

What does “granularity” mean?

Intimidator likes this.
  13. Lynsey [Midoki]

In this case, it refers to the width of the brackets. At the lower end, the tiers are narrower, and at the upper end, they're broader. It means that at the upper end there's a wider range of guilds in each tier, which should hopefully increase the speed and variety of the matches for the top guilds. It shouldn't get to the point where a guild that scores 30k a Rumble is matched with China Bang or similar though!

Obviously we can still tweak this, so if lots of people are still having issues, let us know.

14. I am in a guild with my mini and myself, so no perks. My little 2 person guild has been matched with a 46 person guild that just happens to be THE top rumble guild. It can’t be a good rumble for them and it certainty isn’t a good rumble for me.

15. Lynsey [Midoki]

Well, that doesn't sound right (unless a) you're a scoring behemoth, or b) they've deliberately not scored much recently, in which case it'd be unlikely they'd still be at the top, or c) have replaced their usual members with non-low scorers)...

Could you please send a ticket so that we can take a closer look?

16. Because I don’t speak or read Chinese, I may have gotten the guild wrong on the last character, I apologise.

17. Taipanfan

Taipanfan First Mate

Thanks Lynsey, I appreciate your efforts and genuine communication.

Intimidator likes this.
  18. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

Seems like our guild got mismatched....current match is against #18 rumble guild with 45 players against our 15. We do occasionally match full guilds, but usually not top 20 caliber. I took screenshots, but wasn’t quite sure if I should report it or not.? Believe it’s a Chinese guild, just going off some of the flags. No clue lol.

This would be our second rumble with our normal crew back in the guild. First one was spot on. Couldn’t have asked for a better matchup. Final score was around 10k difference.

Rewards certainly look better for small guilds so far;) Thank you!

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    Becker Redbeard likes this.
  19. Becker Redbeard

Becker Redbeard First Mate

Hear hear! Woulda replied to Lynsey's update saying thank you (sure she's overwhelmed when she logs on Forum) but came back to Forum to see if a tweak had been made. It's noticeable. Not as good rewards as old system, but I gemmed a handful last night to give a win to our up and coming guild member who's still upgrading. Intimidator and I and most of our guild don't need current rewards anyhow (but at least the slap in the face of weak rewards is softer now). :D

Looks like because of our high performance for small guild, we'll almost always match bigger guilds.
    Rumble win percentage down, rewards still down, but at least it's not as bad as it was before survey tweak.
    To have 15 member vs 30-45 member guilds rumble after rumble doesn't quite seem 'fair' but we're a unique guild.
    College football soon, and it might take a team of 20 vs 11 to beat Bama. Roll Tide!!

Intimidator likes this.
  20. Intimidator

Intimidator Captain

@Lynsey [Midoki] Now that the match making has been underway for a while, the guild average is a more true picture of what a guild really does because they have been more competitive overall. Is there any talk of resetting the guild average on the profile screen or making a new one to be, say a 30 day average? This way we know more clearly what we are dealing with when facing a rival. This would be great because there are still some older guilds whose makeup has probably changed a whole lot since forming. Unless you’ve faced them recently, you have no clue what to expect. Also it’s just outdated and useless info tbh at this point!

Also like to bring up that the matching seems to be expanding too quickly for small-med size guilds. Lately, (Maybe a bad time we searched for a match) we’ve matched two guilds who were way out of our league in terms of scoring and number of players. I understand the latter plays no factor in the match, but just pointing it out. We matched the Asian lantern guild currently at #12 on the rumble leaderboard and the Russian guild at #7. Most of our matches are rather snappy, which is great, but I’d rather wait a bit more for a closer match. It’s a no good rumble for any of us. Not for us, not for our rival, and certainly not for Midoki. We haven’t a shot in hell and they aren’t gonna have to fight much to take us out.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2019