Notifications Android 9

Discussion in 'General Bugs' started by Broadside, Mar 22, 2019.

1. Broadside

Broadside Crew

Running android 9 (latest update through android one) on a nokia 7.1 (don't recommend this, go nokia 7plus).

I'm getting no notifications for plunder pirates. There's a fair bit of android picking and choosing when to provide notifications, like Boombeach holding all it's notifications till when I wake up in the morning. Other games, some notifications come through fine. Generally things are ok, but not with plunder pirates. No notifications at all in months.

I wonder whether at some point I had clicked the wrong thing and answered the question "you usually dismiss these notifications, should we stop showing them?" incorrectly as yeah don't show me. But surely there's got to be a setting to fix that somewhere.

Long press on the app icon brings up App info, then there are various permissions. Notifications are on. I have tried switching that permission on and off again, but that makes no difference. There are other ways of getting through to apparently the same information, notification permissions are definitely on.

Most of the time is fine, I know when approximately my shield is dying and it doesn't make a lot of difference when other events happen (it would be nice to know, particularly when the guild is having trouble funding a perk). But this week is the sail event, and the one notification that would really help is, "Your dinghy is back, please send it out again."

So, maybe it's just me, but I'd like my notifications back.

2. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Hmm, I'll pass this onto the coders to see if this is a known issue.

3. WOLLIMAUS

WOLLIMAUS Captain

I have the same with my huawei mediapads M3 Lite10.

Notification Settings are for plunders, boombeach, coc and LINE app the same, but only LINE app(installed on one of them) shows me a notification(a number, depense of the amount of new messages) when a new message arrived. And that has been since i took them in use. Is huawei maybe blocking something?? for game notifications, but not the LINE app?
    Android version 7.0

Huawei is good, but a bit weird in some things. The tablet doesn‘t show any flags in plunders, when some players have them in their name. Only the name.

Then... on iOS it is NOT POSSIBLE to use any flags in game chat. But, huawei allows that to send them in game chat, they are to see on iOS, but on huawei they are NOT to see in game chat, the message is empty if you only send a flag. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2019
    Broadside likes this.
  4. Lynsey [Midoki]

The chaps are looking at notifications at the moments.

Emojis can be awkward, as there's thousands of them in Unicode. However, different device manufacturers have different ways of interpreting them, hence why the same emoji can look subtly (or drastically) different between Android, iOS, desktop, and even between specific apps. Also, there's different versions of Unicode, which gets updated roughly once a year - if you don't (or can't) update your device's operating system (or app software) regularly, it means that there may be emojis you cannot use or view (in which case, they usually appear as a black or blank box, sometimes with 'obj' in it).

FUN FACT! At one point in Plunder Pirates' life a few years ago, Android users could easily post flags in names/MotD/guild chat, as a newer version of Unicode had rolled out on the then latest Android version.

iOS users could not as it wasn't available yet, and if anyone posted a flag emoji, it would crash any iOS device trying to view it. We had nearly entire guilds locked out because their Android members had a name or message with a flag in, and the iOS users couldn't get back in until the offending message had disappeared off the screen. We had to temporarily completely block the flag emojis, until we came up with a more elegant fix.

Broadside likes this.
  5. Broadside

Broadside Crew

Any update on this issue? Notifications were tweaked in the most recent mini Android update, it does seem to treat push notifications differently from regular notifications in other games (eg. coc). Still no notifications at all from pp.

6. Lynsey [Midoki]

The next update is going to have some modifications to Android notifications. With this new update, the notifications are working perfectly across multiple Android devices (and versions), but if you're still having issues after the update, let us know.