Pirate Hall 7 layout

Discussion in 'Build Strategies' started by sephiroth726, May 7, 2016.

1. sephiroth726

sephiroth726 Powder Monkey

Hello everyone, I'm looking for advice on a layout for pirate hall 7. I've got all of my defenses aside from legendary traps and walls fully upgraded and I've changed my layout at least 3 times now. I keep getting completely wiped out, it's like my defenses do no damage (quite the opposite when I plunder) so I'm looking for advice to at least have a fighting chance. I do decent in other games like this but I just can't build a layout that works in this one.

We all know the gold mines and grog distilleries don't pump out enough resources so getting to level 8 will take forever especially since I'm trying to fully upgrade everything first, losing a ton of resources isn't helping progress. Thank you for any help.

2. Hawkbeard

Hawkbeard First Mate

Hard to see without looking at your base to how to improve it. Plus trying to remember back to ph7. There is a forum post on here somewhere with level base designs.

Keep farming to get the resources back and improving your base.

3. sephiroth726

[​IMG][​IMG]

This is what I have now... I had one right before a bit more spread out with chambers of walls that I thought looked great defensively, took a long time to build but it didn't work. Unfortunately it's erased from the editor now so I can't get a screenshot... I had actually thought about going back to it and editing it a bit but I can't. This one was just an experiment.

Last edited: May 7, 2016
  4. Hawkbeard

Hawkbeard First Mate

Think the problem maybe because troops can attack from 3 sides. You want to try limit the sides you can get attacked by, using the ships and fort to make a tri angle helps reduce this. To see what I mean, look at a few of the top guilds and look at their bases.

You won't have as many walls as ph10 but you could try something similar. ?

A few people in our guild have lower level ph, some 8 some 7 or less. Some seem to hold up ok, baring in mind you will get attacked by higher levels alot as they will see you as easy pray, biggest thing don't let it get you down, just keep working your way up.

5. Hawkbeard

Hawkbeard First Mate

You could always pop and have a look at the bases in our guild. Would be welcome to have you.

6. sephiroth726

Yeah, I figure 8 is a bit better cause I'll get more defenses but I need a good strategy. I'll look at those, I wasn't sure how to limit that considering there's water all around.

7. Skye

Skye Commodore

Your GP isn't protecting an entry point, since troops are likely not going to be entering shipside. Any smart attacker will pick a side not protected by GP, as it is the only defense that really matters.

The people attacking you are likely a higher PH as well. PH8 gets a lot better because you get a second GP, so you can cover two directions.

Any effective base design revolves around funneling troops into the GP blast zone, as without that splash damage, you don't really have a chance against attackers.

The best design back when I was PH7 (PH8 wasn't around yet) was one Frankie Yip had been using, where the ship was at the back of the base, with the GP firing away from it, and a good portion of the defenses covering the GP so if anyone tried to take the GP out, they got killed fast. The walls were used for funneling troops to the front of the base. With the GS and fort in play to further prevent people from entering GP side, you could focus those defenses more on the sides of the base.

If troops similar to your PH level enter the GP blast zone, they die almost guaranteed. Focus your strategy on finding ways to make them either have to enter it, or seriously compromise their army trying to avoid it.

Bunkers and Gun Towers do almost 0 damage if there is a WD protecting the troops, so cannons will be your bread and butter when there isn't splash, as well as to kill off juggs (who are immune to splash). Bunkers are probably better used as high-hp pseudo-walls at your level, as are stores if you care about protecting your PH. Gun towers should be used for either protecting side buildings where there won't be a WD, or defending a late-stage part of your base, when the WD will hopefully have been killed off.

If you are trying to protect loot, you should sacrifice your PH and use it as a high-hp wall. Troops will spend a good period of time attacking it, where other defenses can kill them off before they make it in, hopefully weakening them too much to get to your stores. If they take the PH, you get a very small rank drop if its only a 1-2* loss, but you also get a very long shield where players can't attack you.

However, expect to lose most of your defenses anyways, as a PH9 that wants your loot is going to win without any effort. The same will happen when you get to PH8, as PH10 will beat you without any effort. Once you get to PH9 you can start copying PH10 designs, since your GPs will have the same range as PH10 ones, at which point you can use one off the leaderboard and do much better to fend off low level attackers.

As long as you don't have much in your stores though (spend it all before you log off), I doubt many will bother, as they get almost no PP for attacking you, and your loot won't be high enough to waste an army on.

I'm not sure I'd suggest waiting until maxing your walls to upgrade - you can always upgrade walls while the PH is upgrading, as well as while your defenses are building if you leave a builder free, shaving off a ton of time from your final completely-maxed date compared to letting them idle for a month or two while doing walls.

If you're willing to collector farm, you can probably bring in about 50m gold a day without using gems, and won't lose very much of it since you'll spend it all before logging out. Then it won't matter if you lose a defense, since you're not gonna lose more than 5 gunners worth of loot, and you'll still have 60 more gunners to make profit with, plus the 40 or so that rehire while you're using them. You should take in a LOT more than you lose, you can probably fill your stores at least once per play session from completely empty. You can probably max all your walls up through lv9 in the time it takes to build the PH if you get good at it.

Skillzone10 and Hawkbeard like this.
  8. sephiroth726

I originally had a set up with my pirate hall out in front with the firewall in front, my ship in the back with cannons protecting my Ground Pounder, the gp pointed directly at my pirate hall, which was the only entry point all my loot walled in with defenses separated by chamber walls but I still kept getting wiped out cause im always attacked by higher level people. I thought it was a good design until I kept getting wiped out... Now it's lost so I can't go back and tweak it...

9. sephiroth726

I don't know how to funnel pirates, I'm thinking the idea of my old design was better, just needs tweaking...

10. Skye

Skye Commodore

Even with a flawless design, a PH9 player will win without trying. The best you can hope for is to hold off pirates of similar levels :) Don't be discouraged if you lose to a higher level, just try and do your best against players your level!

11. sephiroth726

Yeah, problem is they're ALWAYS higher lol

12. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

@sephiroth726 - are you in a guild? If you are, the best suggestion I would make is to get one of your guild mates who is already a PH9 to take a couple of screenshots of the one or two PH7s they encounter @ approx PR400.

It will take a fairly strong design for a PH7 to get that high and should give you a good starting point!

Good luck :)

13. sephiroth726

I am, that's a good idea, Thank you!

14. sephiroth726

Slight changes [​IMG]

Skye likes this.
  15. sephiroth726

It's working great so far!

Hawkbeard likes this.
  16. Hawkbeard

Hawkbeard First Mate

Nice one, just keeping improving it now.

Like Skye said, if you only have walls to do. Set your ph upgrading while you do them.

17. sephiroth726

I'm upgrading a few small things then walls :) he was right, attacking really is key to progress

18. sephiroth726

Ok now I'm pirate hall 8... I still need to upgrade my walls but I have most defenses upgraded, this layout worked well at 7 but now I'm constantly being wiped out by ph10 players... I've modified this design so that if you enter at the front or back you'll be greeted by gp missiles and mines and i closed up my water gap... attackers are too strong so I guess I need a new layout again... it honestly put me off playing a bit because I can't find anything that actually works defensively... plus the BP grind is brutal lol

19. Hawkbeard

Hawkbeard First Mate

I wouldn't worry too much really, nearly all bases seem to get wiped out at the moment, even fully maxed ones. (Since the last update).