Rumble Matchmaking tweak

Discussion in 'Rumbles' started by Lynsey [Midoki], Aug 26, 2015.

1. Colonel Forbin

Colonel Forbin Powder Monkey

Typical rumble for our guild, Dead Man's Chest.

First place: has level 7-9 pirate halls dropping pirate rank to rank 100 to feed of of low level guys for quick bp.
    Second place: saw first place dropping rank so they started using their minis to catch up.
    Third place: Our guild was ok playing for third until our forth place rival saw we were going to beat them, so in the last hour they started using their minis to get third place.
    Fourth place: our guild, got rid of our minis, kept our pirate ranks to keep our guild in the top 100, rumbled hard and have nothing to show for it.
    Fifth place: saw they didnt have a chance and gave up an hour into the rumble.

The current system is killing morale for regular guilds that want a straight head to head. How far away are we from a new scoring system or matchup tweak?

2. Enuthral

Enuthral First Mate

rumble today, dropped minis as a xperiment. Hit guild with 5 minis. we expected and saw them go crazy with them. then In the last half hour of the rumble we decided not to let them have it, and took it away from them.

One of the best things about our guild, get in there and dig. Maybe that's a Canadian thing, dunno but I like it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
  3. Skull King

Skull King Crew

Thus killing those of us that have never used mini's.

Fil and Spongee like this.
  4. diddly-squat

diddly-squat Powder Monkey

The last two rumbles our guild (Aussie Crew) has started have suffered from +12 hrs wait times. The real problem with this is that we get dragged out of our time zone. We don't have any mini bases.

It's really hard to compete when your rumble starts and finishes at 3am.

5. diddly-squat

and yet again it seems to be happening... we started a rumble 3 hours ago to try and account for the long matching time i just hope we don't end up with another early am rumble start time...

I so seriously hope that the new scoring and matching system fixes up this problem because it really isn't very fair for players in our time zone.

6. diddly-squat

We have now been waiting for more than 12hrs again. This is the third time in a row.

Hi Admins, please is there anything we can do about this? We want to rumble, but we want to compeate, but the matching time is killing our ability to start and finish in any meaningful way

7. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

Yes there is something you can do - make sure you have more than 3 levels of PH in your guild. Then you will be placed in the 'general' matching pool and your wait times will drop to less than an hour (however be prepared to regularly meet guilds with 'minis').

There are currently not enough (mini-less & 3 PH range) guilds for these matching times to be reasonable.

Edit: For the record we do not have any 'minis' - we are simply a PH6+ guild.
    (a while back we trialled some 'equalisers' but found them to be more hassle than fun - so we made 'em walk the plank) :p

Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  8. diddly-squat

obviously this is the reason for the difficult in finding a match, but I'm guessing the long matching time is mostly related to the fact that guilds with similar demographics are either US or European based and as such we dragged into rumbles at ridiculous times... last night the rumble started for us a 1:00am (note we started searching for a match at 9:00am). I work up to find us quite literally thousands of points behind. It really hard to be competitive when you are out of the running before you even start and then know that you aren't even going to have many players online at the end...

9. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

Haha, riding a seven rumble losing streak because that's just how many rumbles you have to lose to get one decent rumble without minis. Yah, when a mini scores 3000 and the guild wins by less than 500. I m guessing our streak is gonna ride till the update. Make it soon Midoki, because players are moving from guild to guild to find one that can win them all, which has to be a guild using minis. Yep, that's why you see those top guilds filling up. Everybody is greedy to win, and can play cheap if they have to. You say its coming, but it may just be too late when it does come.

Colonel Forbin and awbo like this.
  10. Skye

Skye Commodore

@Lynsey [Midoki] have you relaxed the restriction yet with the new scoring system in place?

11. Jillycut

Jillycut Powder Monkey

Rumble matchmaking is out of whack. There is a huge difference. Never evenly matched.

12. Darth Yoda

Darth Yoda First Mate

Matchmaking has been out of whack for ages.

13. Jillycut

Jillycut Powder Monkey

Yes, but I thought I'd say something.

14. Mobotts

Mobotts Captain

Sorry, late to the party as usual
    Can someone give me a run down on how the rumble matching works? I've heard a million theories but never really know which to trust. Thanks!!

15. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

The only criteria that are currently used in matchmaking are:
    • Guild size +/- 25
    • Distribution of PH levels
    As the waiting time increases these criteria are gradually relaxed/expanded until 5 guilds are matched.

16. Mobotts

Mobotts Captain

Thank you for that!! Much appreciated!

17. I would really like midoki to look again at rumble matching.

I guess for the top 100 rumbling guilds it works well, or well enough, and that they certainly don't have too many complaints, more tweaks.
    There are guilds with 20 or less and guilds with the full 50 in the top 100 and that's great. Lots place due to either 24/7 rumbling or because they choose to gem. Again great and good for them. I wouldn't dream of making anyone play in a way they don't want to!

It is very tough for guilds that rumble once a week, don't have 100% participation, only occasionally gem or don't gem at all, but do still want to rumble and ENJOY it! (And don't want to join the top guilds)

Week after week these guilds are CONSTANTLY being matched with often 4 top rumbling guilds that play, and score in a completely different way to them, and no amount of gem buying would make the match better!!

I understand changing how the guilds are matched may be too complicated, unrealistic or open to being manipulated.

I wonder if something simple like an opt out button once the guilds have been matched might work. Those that don't opt out can continue the rumble but just with fewer guilds, the search wouldn't have to be restarted for them. If everyone but one guild opts out the one that doesn't automatically wins. Those that opt out are penalised by loosing their gems but at least they wouldn't be locked into a no hope rumble!!

@Lynsey [Midoki] any value in this idea?

Last edited: Nov 17, 2017