Shark trap not working!

Discussion in 'Build Bugs' started by Bear, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Becker Redbeard

Becker Redbeard First Mate

Took 13 sec by my count on yer video above from the time Jugg stepped in til the trap was destroyed.

Bear likes this.
  2. Bear

Bear Commodore

The video above is the only reply I have where a pirate actually makes it to the trap and it lasts for at least 5 seconds. In the replay above the trap survives for 14 seconds and never shuts on the jugg attacking it.

Can this trap at least attract juggs to it? That would be a much needed addition as well as shortening the trigger time.

Also, when it shuts on skellies it shows a lot of the "z" symbols floating above it like when stun is in effect. I'm not sure if this is intended animation or not.

3. Bear

Bear Commodore

Just had an attack on my island where the trap worked perfectly. A few juggs walked on it. 2 or 3 seconds later *snap*! Dead juggs. And no "z" stun effect symbols over the trap like wheb my skellies got snapped.

4. Bear

Bear Commodore

Just for the record, that's 3 attacks not working: 1 attack working.

5. Bear

Bear Commodore

Does the trap take into account the number of Pirates standing on it? The only 3 times I've seen it work, there have been 4+ pirates on it. (it worked on one of the exploration map strongholds against 4-5 juggs, on one of my attacks against 5-7 skellies, and on 1 of my replays against 5 juggs)

6. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Regardless of how it may or may not be designed to work, the facts remain that the trap
    1. Does not work properly
    2. Is more building than trap
    3. Is entirely visible to attackers

7. sdofigew

sdofigew Powder Monkey

I think it should look like a grog distillery or gold mine until it triggers. Or is placed under any current building

Ian and The Fish Eyed Pirate like this.
  8. KaGorio

KaGorio Powder Monkey

Hi there! I started playing Plunder Pirates 2 months ago when a friend introduce it to me. I was just browsing by wondering how the shark trap works. Well, anyway, since it seems that the trap (might seems) not working properly, can I suggest that instead of making it attack-able (killable) why not make it lure troops inside the treasure in a given radius (like the mortar) it's the main essence of the trap any way. With this said, range troops can be trap as well. Let say we also put a certain number of troops it can lure. :)

9. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

@Bear - The shark trap is triggered by being attacked, and takes five hits before it starts to close, meaning that if you get several bucanneers/skellies/thieves who have fast attacks in there it will shut pretty quickly killing them all instantly, but if you have one or two Juggernauts or Brutes it will take longer to close due to their slower attacks. In the case of your video, the gunners took it down before the Juggernaut could get the fifth hit in.

It lures in nearby thieves as they see the treasure chest and think that it's a resource.

Ian and Bear like this.
  10. Bear

Bear Commodore

Thanks for the response on a weekend! I appreciate it.
    I don't like how it works. I've had over 10 attacks on my base since finishing it, and it's utterly useless.

Yes, knowing how it works I can try to adjust how I'm using it, but the issue is this. What's the point of having 10K damage if it's main target is Theives? They die easily enough. It would make more sense to me if it attracted juggs like a normal trap. That way the 10k damage could actually be put to use. It's just silly that it can be attacked at all. I would hope that y'all either make it unattackable and put it on a timer, or increase it'd health by at least X3.

Im not happy at all with it so far.

11. Salty Snack

Salty Snack Captain

Useless. A destroyable decoration.

Tex and Bear like this.
  12. Ian

Ian Commodore

Thanks @Lynsey [Midoki] that makes sense for what we are seeing. But as I and others have noted as a 'trap' though, it usually gets destroyed long before it becomes useful.. Can I suggest that you make it invisible or at least harder to target by Gunners and Heavy Gunners.

Bear likes this.
  13. Tex

Tex Commodore

Hey guys. I've had the trap for several days now and it was never useful for defense until today.
    When it works it is pretty cool!

Watch this video to see 2 Juggs and 3 Bombs get destroyed by Shark Trap:

The problem I see with the trap being consistent is just a little strategy can overcome it. The pirate who attacked me dropped 10 Juggs and Bombers without clearing anything first. A smart player will learn from that and modify strategy.

14. Bear

Bear Commodore

Yeah, I've seen it work before and take out 5 juggs, it's just too inconsistent. I'm trying a new strategy now that I know the mechanics. But I haven't been attacked yet for it to be tested.

15. Salty Snack

Salty Snack Captain

It's obvious and easily defeated. I need it to work vs good players. Otherwise useless. The idea of a trap is that the victim doesn't see it coming.

16. Skye

Skye Commodore

Gunner attacks should count towards making it close if it already has pirates inside it, or it should have a timer like other mines that activates when a pirate steps inside it :c As of right now its just another snipable high percentage structure that HG completely invalidate, further imbalancing the game towards high ranged attacks.

Look at your analytics and see how many high level players (PH8-9) actually use Thieves (or buccs or any other real melee dps) in a high end attack. Its a statistically insignificant number, I promise. It would have been useful if it was a ph4 structure back when thieves were viable for farming, but over 99% of high end attacks are very range heavy.

I was excited, hoping it would eliminate jugg squads packed too tightly together, but the fact that gunners can snipe it before it has been activated, and that it takes ages to deploy, really was a let down.

It might be the case that thieves at max level become viable against certain designs again - that would be nice, but given the trend where most players are using primarily ranged units, this is just a further incentive not to switch to melee, as melee becomes a liability with it, and range invalidates it completely.

edit: also I was kind of sad that its easily spotted and doesn't mimic the appearance of a buried treasure decoration, like how mystic mines are flowerboxes that explode.

Mr. Brown likes this.
  17. I thought the trap would activate if any kind of troop would stand on it, but now that I now how it works I'm not so excited about it anymore, though in the next patch they should change the way it works and make it so that it will not be targeted by
    any ranged troop, otherwise it will be a useless trap.

18. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

Do Gunner attacks count in making it close? If not, it should, regardless of whether there are pirates standing in it or not - no need to over complicate things.
    So far all examples show it being extremely fragile and only closing very close to it being destroyed.

19. Bear

Bear Commodore

Gunner fire does not make it close.
    Very frustrating that they can even attack it

20. Mr. Brown

Mr. Brown Crew

I think it's fine that ranged troops attack it. I just think the trap should not break if they do so. It should simply trigger once it reaches zero hp no matter who/what is attacking it. This way heavy hitters don't need to hit 5 times, they can just sit on the thing and slowly pound away. This way it works for any mode of attack, those who go range, melee, or mixed.