splash damage and knockback

Discussion in 'Battle Strategies' started by Iqbal, Mar 29, 2016.

1. Iqbal

Iqbal Powder Monkey

Some"noob"say,they confused about some splash damage,i remember before earn TG,my gunner immune agains splash damage,but i calculating furter than 3 tiles (about 4-6 tiles)sometimes they take less damage and only knocked back ,it also happen with mortar,are that right ?

2. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

Can you please explain?

3. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Gunners aren't immune to splash damage - the only unit that is are high level Juggernauts.

Splash damage projectile weaponry (mortars, ground pounders) do two types of damage: Direct (a very, very small amount) and Splash. Splash is further divided into two - 'primary splash damage', which occurs in the region immediately around where the projectile lands, and 'secondary splash damage', which is a little further out.

Knockback is the same in both the primary and secondary regions. However, 'heavy' pirates (Juggs, Brutes, Cornelius, Greenbeard, Sadie, etc) don't get knocked back as much as the smaller, lighter pirates.

Skye likes this.
  4. Skye

Skye Commodore

The reasons gunners seem immune is because troops do not show an HP bar until the toughness from the TG has been depleted - so for the first 100 damage, their HP doesn't seem to go down and they seem invulnerable. But mortars and splash still do damage them, it just might take a couple hits before the hp bar shows up.

I also explained in another couple threads how to judge splash - as Lynsey said, splash has two ranges. A good way to approximate this is to look at a mine - at a close range, the mine will deploy and do full damage. However, it still does a bit of damage (1/3 damage) further away - in the zone between where the mine would be set off, and the full 3 range of the mine. This is why gunners sometimes are vaporized, and sometimes seem to take very little damage. For other splash damages, as well as a bomber's kaboom/dead man's trigger damage, you can see the same - things closeby take the full damage, things further away take 1/3 damage - you'll notice this if you have a bomber kaboom next to a wall. The walls right next to him will be damaged much more than ones further away. I guess no one bother's reading my strategy posts, like the detailed analysis I did on mine damage.

I'm not sure on the exact range of the inner full-damage splash, I believe its 1 or 1.5 tiles.

Since 1/3 of a mortar's damage is considerably less than the 100 damage protected by TG, it will take several shots before they appear wounded if they are not directly hit, or at least 2 if they are directly hit.

5. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

Dont worry @Skye i read em.