Troop Range issues

Discussion in 'Battle Bugs' started by Skye, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Skye

Skye Commodore

In the gunner AI thread I mentioned that I've seen gunners sometimes shoot one tile further than they should, hitting my gp from 6 tiles away. I'm not sure if this was fixed in the latest update, it might still be an issue. But I just noticed that Heavy Gunner seemed to get a lesson from them.

I just noticed my HGunners shoot over the normal ship to hit a guild ship on the other side of it. This is at least 2 tiles further than they should be able to reach. Normal ship and dock is 7 wide, plus 1 more for the GShip dock, for 8 tiles between the hgunner and the gs, which thus starts 9 tiles away. The HGunner might have actually fired a square earlier than I caught in my screenshot during the actual battle, as the replay was buggy (but still showed them shooting from too far on the other side of the ship).

[​IMG]
    As you can see, my HGunners haven't even stepped on the dock for the normal ship yet, to shoot the guild ship on the other side of it.

edit: i also just noticed that the clearable rock is blocking the only entrance to the GS dock, which may have helped encouraged this particular instance of buggy behavior, but when I saw normal gunners shoot an extra tile, there was no environmental factor like that in play.

Mr. Brown and Christy like this.
  2. Skye

Skye Commodore

[​IMG]

HGunner there is hitting the gold storage from at least THIRTEEN tiles away. @Lynsey [Midoki] @Chris [Midoki] @Sir Bugsalot this really needs attention. I've modified things slightly to help prevent hgunners from sniping, but it feels extremely lame trying to work around their buggy range to keep things from getting sniped that shouldn't get hit. When I need 14 walls of protection to stop a GP from getting sniped when it should only take 7, things are starting to get kind of ridiculous.

Mr. Brown and yeti like this.
  3. yeti

yeti Captain

Can we please get the HG range fixed???? Here's one shooting my GP from an estimated 12 tiles away :mad:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Interesting...... His range is supposed to be 7 just like the witch doctors protection bubble when maxed, this explains a lot about HGs.....

5. yeti

yeti Captain

Yes, not happy. Needless to say I lost that defense because the GP (which should be out of range) was taken out allowing an easy in from the other side. And word on this @Lynsey [Midoki]?

6. Christy

Christy Commodore

Wow I haven't been paying that much attention to it to notice. Thanks for bringing that up. Explains a lot. Need to go recheck my attack log.

7. Christy

Christy Commodore

Ok old post. Guess it's still happening though :eek:

8. yeti

yeti Captain

Yep, definitely still happening :(

9. Bear

Bear Commodore

The way I have heard it explained is that since the HG can fore while walking, they calculate range based on their destination. So if they are shooting something 11 tiles away, it is because they are walking to a spot that is 7 or fewer.

I don't know if that explanation is totally correct, but it was what 1 player suggested. And If it is correct, I think it's a bug and should be fixed.

yeti likes this.
  10. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

It still sounds like it needs to be fixed :)
    At the very least their damage should drop down until they reach their destination(firing blindly at a destination doesn't mean you'll have 100% accuracy)

yeti likes this.
  11. Makes me wonder if after their first range upgrade in AC7 if it actually ends up giving them more range than advertised? Max gun towers have a range of 8, which heavy gunners aren't supposed to out range when they are limited to 7 tiles of range unless midoki counts range units of measurement differently between defenses and troops.

12. yeti

yeti Captain

Here we go again...cannon this time...more than 12 tiles?...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. yeti

yeti Captain

But wait...there's more...this time the HG on the left shoots the guntower outside the walls from more than 7 tiles away...
    [​IMG]
    And then switches to the GP...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Give that pirate a payrise!

14. yeti

yeti Captain

Cannon again...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. yeti

yeti Captain

Mortar again...yawn...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. yeti

yeti Captain

I could keep going, unfortunately, but you get my drift.

Obviously a rebuild is in order, but if troops aren't doing what they're supposed to be doing, how can bases be designed to defend against them?

Would be great if we could get some kind of explanation on what's going on here, and when we can expect it to be fixed. Troops shooting while walking as an explanation seems ridiculous...they're always walking, and they shouldn't start shooting til they're in range. Simple as that, surely?

17. Booty isle

Booty isle Captain

Are you saying the ai in the game is wrong!?!? Duh! Bombers are schizo and the HG range is huge. Not only that but HG would rather shoot a random wall next to an opening then a building every now and then.. It's all a crap shoot. This game has zero consistancy and is more frustrating than fun... Just wait until u push rank and only get +5 for three stars and -19 for losses. It's just not fun to play competitively when their is crappy ai.... My best advice is to never try a serious rank push when your island is done... I guarantee you will strongly consider quitting... And yes the whole point of the game is based on finishing your island and rank pushing....

18. Becker Redbeard

Becker Redbeard First Mate

For a visual of this explanation, which has proven mostly valid since explained to me, see the picture below. Assuming the gold mines have been leveled there are 7 spaces between an HG outside the wall and the outside edge of your defensive unit. The GP is fair game at 7 range (shooting OVER 7), the Cannon should NOT be at 8, but yet it is in the example @yeti posted with Johnnie Walker. And the fire on cannon by Apareka (unless AI considers the rounded notch to be 7 blocks away, which it would be on a perpendicular to cannon but not at an angle- Pythagorean Theorem ).
    All other posts seem to follow Bear's explanation. Not saying it's right or fair, just seems to be a good explanation of the AI.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
    yeti likes this.
  19. yeti

yeti Captain

Thanks for the visual beck, way outside my techy skills! That may well be what's going on with the AI, but it's a huge issue that needs to be fixed, which is why I'm posting. It has a range of 7 but just because it happens to be walking it gets to be...what? The only defenses I lose are because of this. When troops behave as I assume they were intended, the result is very different.

That said, I also don't see that the GP is in range from outside the walls anyway...7 tiles range means it should hit the wall in front of the GP to my way of thinking. That's the 7th tile. Think about the range of 1 that buccs have...

20. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Hey @Lynsey [Midoki] - this seems to be a constant thorn in our side at AG. What's the official ruling?

yeti likes this.