Troop Range issues

Discussion in 'Battle Bugs' started by Skye, Apr 28, 2015.

1. yeti

yeti Captain

Seriously, @Lynsey [Midoki] , can we please get some kind of response on this issue?
    Here's the HG (at bottom of screen) shooting a wall from 11 tiles away:
    [​IMG]
    Then he goes on to attack the grog storage while he's 12 tiles away:
    [​IMG]
    Is his range supposed to be 7 whether he's walking or stationary and this is a bug, or is it intended that his range is whatever the heck it needs to be as long as he's walking to a target (ridiculous, but at least we'd know!)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Booty isle and Tikigirl like this.
  2. Skye

Skye Commodore

I'm thinking he's supposed to be able to attack slightly further when he's walking to a target, but the range he attacks from sometimes is ridiculous. I've outranged bunkers plenty of times with them, killing them before the bunker could spin up and fire a single shot back, and I've shot outhouses I'd normally have to swim 10+ tiles to (at least he stops firing when he hits water).

The furthest I've seen him shoot from is 13-14 tiles, but that still seems very excessive. It makes it very easy as an attacker, but it just gets more and more frustrating on defense.

3. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

Last edited: Aug 12, 2015
    Ian and Skye like this.
  4. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

We're looking into this at the moment, pictures kind of look as I'd expect though?

5. Lynsey [Midoki]

Right, I've double checked, and the HG is behaving as he always had. The '7' mentioned in the UI for his range refers to his minimum range, his maximum range is pretty much double that, as he can fire whilst moving (as @Bear said earlier in the thread). Unfortunately, the UI in this case is misleading - we'll look into making this clearer.

peg-brain bob and Bear like this.
  6. yeti

yeti Captain

Thanks for responding @Lynsey [Midoki] . I'm not sure I understand what you mean by minimum range though? Minimum would suggest he can't shoot under that range which is not the case. You also upgrade him in the academy to increase range (ie so he can shoot further). Saying that's the minimum would result in decreased range would it not? It's late here, so maybe I'm missing something, but that doesn't seem to make sense to me.

7. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

@Lynsey [Midoki] is saying that HG's range is different from other units (his Max range is itself a variable range - depending on whether he is static or moving). HG's max range (when static) is as quoted in game - however if he is walking, it can be up to double that (depending on when he will next encounter walls/buildings and have to stop).

8. Lynsey [Midoki]

I guess a better way of phrasing it is that 7 is his 'stand still and shoot' range at levels 7 and 8 (and we're not planning on expanding it further ;)). 7 also his 'move and shoot' range. So he can potentially pick a target 14 tiles away - for the first 7 tiles he'll be shooting whilst walking to his stand still and shoot range, then he should stop at that point, and carry on shooting until his target is destroyed.

Mr. Brown, peg-brain bob and yeti like this.
  9. yeti

yeti Captain

Ok, I understand it with the stand still and shoot range explanation, thanks again :)

10. yeti

yeti Captain

Yes, I got that. The use of the word minimum caused confusion :confused:

11. Skye

Skye Commodore

Thank you for clarifying. I knew he could shoot further when walking but didn't expect it to be THAT far. At least we know its working as intended now :)