WDs ignore skeletons after crew dead

Discussion in 'Battle Bugs' started by C.Calamity, Jul 5, 2015.

1. C.Calamity

C.Calamity Crew

i consider it a massive bug that if after all the crew is dead and all that remains are skeletons, that if you then disembark a WD near a heap of skeletons, he simply treads water and refuses to see, acknowledge and resurrect the skeletons. What kind of A.I. is that??? Any WD with half a brain and resurrection powers would race to the closest skeletons and resurrect them, wouldn't he?

Tex, Raptelan, Tesh and 1 other person like this.
  2. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

+infinity - pleeeeease allow this Midoki :)

3. C.Calamity

C.Calamity Crew

Without living 'magnets', the WD's magnet should be the closest skeleton. He should walk over to the square next to it. It would be up to the player to determine when/if resurrection is commanded. All skeletons within his perimeter at that point would be resurrected.

peg-brain bob likes this.
  4. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Ask yourself this, would you prefer the WD to have this ability and go towards the closest dead crew? What if it's only one guy? Should this new method be active all the time?

Or if all that's left is a single WD, should the match end?

It's unpopular, but I vote for match end. I'd much rather have the match end than rage-quit my phone into a wall when a WD resurrects a single dead crew or takes a long walk around a wall and dies because that unit was technically closer.

5. C.Calamity

C.Calamity Crew

You've forgotten that (a) he only goes to the skeletons if ALL other disembarked crew are dead and (b) nobody is forcing you to disembark your WD if you don't want to.

6. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

We've actually changed the WD AI so that he has the following priority:

1) Living units - they will always put the living first
    2) Raised skeletons - if all pirates are dead but there's some skeletons up and about, they'll protect them
    3) Skellywag corpses - if all living pirates are dead, and there are no resurrected skeletons, and there are resurrectable Skellywag corpses, then they'll move them
    4) Corpses - if all living pirates are dead, and there are no resurrected skeletons, and there are no resurrectable Skellywag corpses, then they'll move to general corpses
    5) Existential crisis - if all living pirates are dead, and there are no resurrected skeletons, and there is nothing to resurrect, the Witch Doctor will ponder the deeper meaning of life. What is he for? What is his purpose? He will quietly contemplate his place in the world, until he is killed by defences, or the timer runs out.

I'm not sure if this has gone into the upcoming update, or is going into a later one, I'll have to check.

7. C.Calamity

C.Calamity Crew

Cool. Thank u.

8. Bear

Bear Commodore

I'm going to be so happy when I no longer deploy a WD and it just stand there!

Edward Kenway likes this.
  9. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

Sounds good! Lol at number 5) though, haha:D

10. Tesh

Tesh Powder Monkey

WD tends to wonder off. i don't know why but he just does and my WD gets killed and unable to resurrect anything. please fix this

11. Bear

Bear Commodore

The AI must be bugged then, because my entire guild is noticing that WD now prefer juggernauts. They will leave a pack of gunners and run across an island through heavy fire to try and reach a jugg.

12. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

I'm guessing that WD is now prioritising based on troop max HP - to determine which pirate is next most 'alive' (would explain running to protect juggs 1st).

13. Becker Redbeard

Becker Redbeard First Mate

That's what it looks like, but most players are of the habit of protecting their weaker HP troops (guns often, HGs) and that seems to be most logical. The Juggs and Brutes have been considered the "meat shields" that can take many hits without needing much protection. The point of Juggs running to bombs (often set as traps), with the WD to follow sounds worrisome.
    Either the AI is changed or we all adjust attack strategy, but it doesn't sound popular so far.

14. Briggy Barknuckle

Briggy Barknuckle Powder Monkey

The WD AI is awful since the last update - he used to hang back with the outermost troops (or nearest troops to him when deployed) - now he only chases Juggers, and runs right into the middle of the worst of the firefight and, of course, dies immediately. What happened?

15. Maverick

Maverick Crew

Happened to our guild also, WD is running around a lot and seem like he prioritize brutes and juggernaut and died with them now. It's awful. He should protect those that are weaker, we used him to protect gunners and heavy gunners and stay back.

16. Bear

Bear Commodore

Agreed. WD should prioritize the weaker troops.

17. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

if you really want a WD hanging way back it's easy, save 1 slow jugg to deploy last and the WD after. That is no way to win though, you need to get skeletons in there early to distract defenses, and for that purpose the new AI is MUCH better. Before the WD would turn around and walk backwards when more gunners were deployed, now he can actually be controlled much better!

18. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

As some people have already guessed, the WD now prioritises on HP size, so he will still focus on a group of DPS (gunners, buccs, skellies, etc) if their collective HP is greater than that of a Juggernaut.

peg-brain bob and Raptelan like this.
  19. JT07

JT07 Crew

Deploying 1 jugg last and WD after doesn't necessarily will protect the gunners. There is always a possibility the jugg will wander off away from the gunners and not forgetting if there is a group juggs or brutes gathering at the same place within range of the WD, the WD will head straight to them as their collective HP will be greater than that 1 jugg.
    Not forgetting WD have low HP and following juggs/brutes is going for a sucide mission. WD should prioritize protecting low HP units like gunners.

20. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Thanks for the detail!