What is the best upgrading method?

Discussion in 'Build Strategies' started by Ninetales, Aug 7, 2015.

1. Ninetales

Ninetales Powder Monkey

So I am a almost max PH5 and I had a question. Is it best to completely max out your base before upgrading PH?
    I've played CoC for a long time and it's crucial to upgrade everything before upgrading TH. On the other hand Boom Beach is a game where it's actually best to rush your HQ instead of maxing out. I'm just wondering what's the best for PP. It's a great game and Im loving it so far and I'm usually the kind of guy to max out everything. Give me some info or tips. Thank you!

2. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

In PP the ideal (though hard to achieve) is to have everything maxed at the moment the new PH completes build.

If you start building PH after everything is maxed you will be sitting for days with full resources (a massive target for other players).
    But equally if you upgrade PH too early your defences/troops will be under powered to attack/defend new level bases.

Good luck!

3. Burnz

Burnz Captain

What peg-brain bob said, try and time it so that you can finish defenses at the same time as the PH upgrade finishes. When doing defenses, I'd do mortars (except @ph9 cuz there isn't a knock back) and gun towers first, then the rest. Bunkers get their greatest increase in damage from 2 to 3, once you get ground pounders max those quickly. Since gold is abundant, you may want to keep a builder free to work on walls, but I don't remember how long build times are for your level so it may not be needed until later. Find a good guild, it makes this game 10 times better. When you get guild perks, build those asap. If all your builders are busy and you are close to maxing your storages, stop collecting your collectors and let those build up so that once you spend, you have a good amount right away. Maxing your collectors is a personal choice, but they do produce a good chunk of resources and take longer to destroy. If you didn't know, you can upgrade more than one pirate in the academy. Have fun.

Ninetales and Black-ish Beard like this.
  4. Ninetales

Ninetales Powder Monkey

Thank you both so much. At least now I can focus on that. And thank you Burnz for that Academy tip because I had no idea. That makes things a LOT easier

5. Skye

Skye Commodore

Mortars, and Bunkers, are probably the biggest/most important upgrades. Bunker gets a TON of hp, and lv 2 is a lot of damage. Any upgrade that gives +range should be prioritized as well (gun tower gets range at 3/5/9 and an extra cannon at 7). As long as most of your things are maxed, its probably worth upgrading. Collectors aren't really worth worrying about, since most of your loot will come from plundering, and keep your stores at the lowest level you can until you have the rest maxed, since higher level stores get looted for larger percentages. AC training on your main troops, and your defenses, should get maxed. I wouldn't hold back to wait for walls.

Gun towers and bunkers do virtually nothing if there is a WD in play, so plan on most of your dps coming from cannons or splash (which does virtually nothing to juggs once they get splash armor, and literally nothing later on).

Rather than leaving a builder open to dump things into walls, stagger your builders so that they work on things that complete at different times. I try to get mine building things so they finish a day apart from each other. When one finishes, I dump all the spare loot I got during that day and start the next build. Things shouldn't ever really build up if you do that, since you only have a day to build up loot, but you always have everything working. Since you get a free 12h shield if you get attacked, you're only going to lose loot once or twice at worst, and you're dumping loot often enough that it shouldn't be more than a fight or two to make it back. Once you're down to just collectors left (your last priority) then maybe hold off on one so you can dump things into walls.

6. Burnz

Burnz Captain

@Ninetales - Skye brings up some good points but he and I differ on a few things which just comes down to play style. At your level, like Skye said, don't wait on walls before upgrading you PH. Also, before upgrading something, dump what ever excess you would have on walls, then start the upgrade.

Where we differ in opinion is that I hate losing gold by being raided and raid a lot throughout the day, so at ph9 I am leaving a builder free to upgrade walls. I know it will take a little bit longer to upgrade my defenses, but at the same time I am not offering up over a million gold every time someone wants to attack me. Nor, will I be finished with all the defenses and have an overwhelming amount of walls to do, since I am doing them already. Who am I kidding, there will still be an overwhelming amount of walls to do, but fewer than otherwise. Don't rely on a shield either, some people can get loot and still not give you a shield.

Few more tips
    -Always set your ship out to sea
    -There are two types of fish, Big and Bigger, Bigger Fish give more BP than Big Fish do, also Serpants give some good BP as well.
    -There is some great loot out there, so make sure your attacks have a good Return on Investment.
    -HG's are in their prime when they get the range of 7 tiles, before that, they are too expensive to farm with.
    -If you see a base with 315k of each resource, chances are it is in the collectors.

7. Burnz

Burnz Captain

One last thing, when training troops to go attack, at 6 minutes, it costs 1 gem to gem them, that is where you get the most bang for your buck.

8. Skye

Skye Commodore

Its a bit harder at lower ph, but I can reliably prevent my gold from being taken (maybe one in twenty attackers has made it to my gold stores) and if they do get it, its enough for at least a 1* loss guaranteeing a shield. This means leaving your ph fairly open though, but if you're farming you shouldn't really be caring about protecting your ph to begin with, since its an easy win for an attacker and an easy shield for you. Unless you're going for rank, there is no reason to waste space on protecting it, and it makes a pretty nice wall itself.

But I was focusing on whats worth or not worth upgrading and the fastest strategy to get everything maxed out, and what items should take priority. Walls aren't that important until endgame, and you're unlikely to lose more than one or two fights worth of loot even if your stores are taken at lower ph levels, since lower store levels lose much less loot percentage.