When do new monsters spawn?

Discussion in 'Exploration Strategies' started by Neckbeard, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Neckbeard

Neckbeard Crew

Has anyone figured out the best strategy for getting monsters to spawn on the map? I'm mainly interested in lv4 fish and sea monsters for the BP.

I've seen people saying that particular monsters appear at one of two locations. But the monsters don't immediately appear in their alternate locations once you kill them. Does it help to clear out existing monsters for new ones to appear? I don't care about that lv2 merchant ship, but would destroying it increase the chances of a lv4 fish spawning somewhere later? Or alternately, would appear in due time even if I stopped exploring?

yeti likes this.
  2. yeti

yeti Captain

I'm curious about this, too. My 4 star fish are MIA...

3. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Here's what I know so far

-There are 2-3 of each monster type/star level on the map.
    -Each monster respawns from 10 mins to a few hours after being killed.
    -Each monster starts in the same spot for everyone
    -Each monster has at least one alternate respawn spot
    -Some (possibly all) monsters have 2+ spawn locations.
    -Which spot they respawn in is totally random. Sometimes they move, and sometimes they appear in the same spot as before.

We're trying to map all of these locations in my guild, and have tracked most of them down. I've posted this link a lot lately, but what's one more time? :)

Spoiler Link!
    BP-Giving Monsters and their Locations

One other thing we've noticed. After a monster has been "abused" a certain number of times, it seems they may move to a new, harder-to-reach spot on the edge of the map. I am very guilty of Fish/Serpent abuse, and despite having 92% of my map cleared, (including all our known fishing spots), there's only one 4* fish on it, currently. I don't think they disappear, just get better at hiding the more you beat up on them.

And for anyone else. The best BP-giving monsters, in order:

4* Big Fish (up to 2000)
    4* Sea Serpent (up to 1500, plus a lot of grog)
    4* Bigger Fish (up to 1500)
    3* Bigger Fish (up to 800, but qick and easy)

Just prepare yourself. Sometimes, you will only get 2-10 gems for them.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  4. Neckbeard

Neckbeard Crew

Wow thanks for the detailed reply Kelani! So you're saying you haven't noticed any advantage to going out of your way to kill e.g. a 2* merchant ship, as far as getting e.g. a 4* big fish to spawn quicker?

5. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

You're welcome! No, I've not noticed any connection with other ships. But to be honest, I haven't been paying attention. I usually only go after those lesser vessels when they're directly in my way. But, the respawn times vary so much, you may be on to something. I have 92-93% of the map exposed, but for the last week, have seen only one 4* Bigger fish. I assumed the others moved to new, harder-to-reach spots, but what you suggest seems plausible to me.

I'll test this today. First, I'm killing that last remaining bigger fish, then if nothing happens, I'll beat up on some nearby vessels for awhile. :)

6. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

@Neckbeard Ignore my last post. A guild member just solved the mystery for us. He's completed the entire map, and he says:

Everything killed on a voyage will respawn in one of its fixed spots after you complete another voyage. So to make something you just killed respawn, start a 30-second voyage and go to your town. When the voyage finishes, check the map, and the monster will be respawned in its new spot.

That was easy :D

7. Neckbeard

Neckbeard Crew

Such a great tip! You rule Kelani!

Kelani likes this.
  8. Captain Monkey

Captain Monkey First Mate

Wow nice trick, I'll use that

9. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Thanks, but I can't take credit for that one. That was courtesy of etiolated from my guild. :)

10. Nice ,Tip from guild mate ,cheers.

Captain Hakjka likes this.
  11. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Huge revelation.

12. Too bad it doesn't work on event fish...:(

Captain Hakjka and Kelani like this.
  13. Burnz

Burnz Captain

Wow, great tip Kel.

14. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Yeah, the tip seems to break down on these guys because they have a set respawn time of 2-3 days after being killed. I've yet to see one of the fish due to the bug.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Shonda La likes this.