Skye's Pirate Island Editor (PIE)

Discussion in 'Build Strategies' started by Skye, Jul 15, 2015.

1. Skye

Skye Commodore

Short Description:
    Play with my super cool island editor here:
    http://xskye.com/projects/pie/pie.html

controls/notes:
    -click building's image to add it to the map
    -doubleclick to rotate
    -alt/ctrl/shift/meta click to toggle individual ranges
    -click buttons next to building to toggle range for all of that building (doubleclick if its out of sync)
    -check checkboxes at top to show ranges for all buildings, swap ph to long mode, and to show ranges on a building while you drag it around
    -click save/load to save a design to your browser's local storage (you give it a savename, so you can have a couple designs)
    -share code gives you a giant (VERY BIG) code you can give to someone else to load your design. They paste it in the loadshare prompt to load it.
    -saves/codes might break when I update things but I'll try not to make them completely unusable.
    -if you want to zoom in, use the ctrl +/- feature of your browser!

Long Description:

I've been working on something to help with analyzing bases, to figure out what needs better coverage, and to plan attacks. I figured its time I share it, its still a work in progress and probably has loads of bugs, but its a nice way to check things out on your computer. I'm currently supporting webkit browsers (chrome, safari, iOS safari) but it may work fine in other places too.

It has all PH9 buildings available. Scroll through and click the picture of what you want to add, and it will add it!

All defenses can have their ranges toggled individually, and all buildings can display the range at which a bomber, gunner, and hgunner can attack them from (besides unattackable things like mines, and ships since they have weird rules about where you can shoot them from).

All can be globally turned on/off, and you can turn them on/off for groups of the same defense (like turning on all your cannons at once). Since there are so many ways to toggle them, things can get out of sync (clicking the global all on/off button at the top will clear everything; the unit-type buttons toggle between on and off, so you may have to double click if they get out of sync).

Alt-click toggles defense range, shift ctrl and meta click do gunners hgunners and bombers. Mobile devices don't have these, but maybe I'll find a workaround at some point. Its more intended to be used on your PC though. Double click (or double tap on mobile) will rotate the building clockwise.

Adding a building, rotating or dragging anything around will hide all ranges (besides the ones on the building you're dragging, if you check the option to show them while dragging), and unless you have the global show-all box checked, they'll stay cleared.

Walls can only be moved individually for now. Sorry :c

Here's a cropped screenshot showing a short range ph, bunkers, and gp all showing their range at the same time. This makes finding weak-points easy!
    [​IMG]

Known issues:
    -buildings are poorly cropped and some still use ph8 graphics
    -ranges/shorelines are drawn outside the grid
    -grid disappears when too closely zoomed in

Coming soon?
    -decorations
    -ph9 graphics for remaining buildings
    -better cropping for ships?
    -attack units to show what they can hit at any point, and where sky raider will land if unblocked
    -toggleable building HP percentage, so you can see what buildings are most valuable at a glance
    -maybe better controls?

If anyone wants to fork or mirror it, or help with it, send me a pm.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  2. Bear

Bear Commodore

Nice work!

3. Tex

Tex Commodore

Can't wait to play with this! Thanks for sharing @Skye :)

4. Daddy P

Daddy P Captain

How cool is that? Makes up for all your wd nonsense. :D

just kidding by the way

850arrr and # Johnny Doe # like this.
  5. awbo

awbo Captain

Wow that is awesome!

BigBarnacles likes this.
  6. Skye

Skye Commodore

Fixed a bunch of bugs
    you should be able to drag/toggle things even if its being covered by a range now
    sharecode doesnt ruin things anymore
    i noticed i forgot lighthouse, it was added

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  7. DamianWars

DamianWars First Mate

not bad... i had trouble trying to delete an item. It would be cool to switch between different graphics to represent the lower levels.

8. Skye

Skye Commodore

There currently isn't a way to delete items, but if you guys want I can add it. Right now I just drag whatever Items I don't want to use at the moment off to the side. Also you don't have to use every item to save things, you can add a couple, save it, and come back later :)

I've been thinking about allowing other level PH but I don't have images of other level buildings, and I have no idea how many of most are allowed outside of ph 8/9. :)

9. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

Woe, nice work!!

10. BigBarnacles

BigBarnacles Powder Monkey

Great idea!

11. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

PLZ do a one for other PHs.
    PH5:
    Grog store/Gold store L8:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Gold Mine/Grog Distillery L9:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mine L2

(no pic)

Cannon L10
    [​IMG]
    Mortar L6
    [​IMG]
    Bunker L1

[​IMG]
    Gun Tower L6
    [​IMG]
    Wall L6
    [​IMG]
    Mystic Mine
    [​IMG]
    Observatory
    [​IMG]
    Lighthouse L3
    [​IMG]
    Guild Hall 3
    [​IMG]
    Blacksmith L3
    (no img)

Academy 4
    [​IMG]

Outhouse x3

Stonemason 2
    [​IMG]
    If you guys need anything more on photos, I can help.
    (NB: Not full list. Sorry!)

12. Tex

Tex Commodore

Wtf?

Ian likes this.
  13. Skye

Skye Commodore

I need a birds eye view (island editing mode default view) on the lower ranks, but I can put it up and just use the ph8/9 graphics temporarily.

What I really need would be building counts for lower ph, and range info if cannons/gun towers/mortars have lower range.

Also @Tex ??? was there a bug?

14. thomssi

thomssi First Mate

Towers have lower range, others same I think.

15. Ultimate Sea Dog

16. Skye

Skye Commodore

If anyone wants to try a sample base I made to play around with checking out ranges and stuff, here's a modification on my initial ph8 hexagram base for protecting storages: http://pastebin.com/G65y4Z3g

Double click in the raw paste data, ctrl-a to select all, and copy paste it into the prompt that pops up when you click load share

I just noticed its cutting off the vertical axis of the grid at 43 tiles instead of 50, I'll put up a fix in a little bit.

The wikia doesn't have range in terms of tiles for many of the upgrades (I believe it has a conversion factor of 10, but I'll need to snoop on some low level bases to confirm). But either way, it doesn't have building counts. :) Also I'm not sure when the ship gets a third cannon (does it always have 3) and how the range works on that right now (I just traced over it with illustrator to get an image for max level ship ranges; I know the angle of the cannons, but they have weird offsets so I had to custom-make an image for that).

17. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ship: Lvl 1 and 2 have 1 cannon. Lvl 3 has 2. Lvl 4 onwards is 3.

18. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Wow, very nice job. :)

19. Critical

Critical Powder Monkey

You could use a Droid emulator and start a new game on PC, that should enable you to see what ranges everything has, but you'd need to play it to get the levels from about 2 through 9 :(

Bloody good editor, well done on all the hard work! :)

20. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

Maybe @Skye could actually have found a use for the 'minis' :)

EDIT: p.s. bravo for the hard work - looks amazing! (sorry should have started with this :oops:)