360 degree angle adjustment for bunkers

Discussion in 'Build Improvements' started by Resis Mortis, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Resis Mortis

Resis Mortis Powder Monkey

Could the bunkers be changed so that you could fine tune them, for instance they way you can with sprinklers for a lawn. I would recommend being able to precisely change the angle throughout a full 360 degree rotation as opposed to just rotating the bunker through four fixed positions. Also, if we could change the angle and depth of field, i.e.: the wider the angle covered by the bunker the shorter the range of engagement, narrowing the angle covered by the bunker would increase the range of attack, with limitations to say 180 degree field of view as a max and a 15 degree field of view as a minimum.

alebvk, Kelani and DobleTippen1st like this.
  2. Bear

Bear Commodore

The only problem I see with this is that with the grid system of the island you are forced to do into 90 degree turns.. but I could be wrong.

3. Bear

Bear Commodore

I also don't know how it would work graphically

4. Great idea. IMO, the cost is in displaying the rotated bunker. I'd be happy with 45 degree rotation and fixed field of view. I'd really like to use them like machine guns and set up "final protective fire" for my mortars.

@Bear, I don't think there's a conflict with the underlying grid. Most likely, the system collects all targets within range of a bunker, discards those not in the field of field, and picks a final target. Even if the target collection is based on which grids are in the field of view, rotating the field of view just changes which grid cells are "in sight".

5. Bear

Bear Commodore

That makes sense. But what I'm saying is graphically. When you rotate the bunker the whole time moves. Not just the bunker. It would take some working around to change the look so that the tile didn't move and the actual bunker did the rotation.

6. DamianWars

DamianWars First Mate

Why stop at the bunkers? I was going to create a new thread for this idea but thought it was best as an addition here. The ability to rotate every object by an increment of 45°. I know this might require a lot of changes to the grid system or maybe just a different image for the 45°. I'm thinking walls and bunkers would have the greatest impact. Since it may take a bit of work to do this for each object, and the ship would probably be a little messy, maybe leaving it to just walls and bunkers would be the solution. A wall on a 45° would need to be elongated to meet the other walls but should not actually need to be rotated but instead only put in the right spot then it should automaticly connect to nearby walls with a potential of a 8 point join piece.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015