Are certain Units better at fighting monsters/ships than others?*

Discussion in 'Exploration Strategies' started by Stingy Tower, Sep 21, 2014.

1. Stingy Tower

Stingy Tower Powder Monkey

*Not including exploration perks

I've been trying to clear my first Giant Fish on my map and I've lost 3 25-slot crews so far. The first two crews were mixed units and the last one was all brutes.

So my question is basically the title + *. Is it better to use big slot units or a lot of small 1 slot units, does a full crew of Gunners have the same chance of success as a full crew of Thieves, why is the Giant Fish so OP, etc...

Edit: My bad, it's called a Big Fish not a Giant Fish. Gee what was I thinking :eek:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014
  2. Admin [Midoki]

Admin [Midoki] Administrator Staff Member

Yes it does matter. When you're training your troops in the Academy, you'll see certain abilities will aid you in battle on the Exploration Map. Make sure your crew are trained up and you will find the sea battles easier.

3. Tim Martel

Tim Martel Crew

I beat that fish with 3 brutes and 13 gunners, personally, without any of the exploration skills. My brutes are level 5 and gunners level 9. Maybe I was lucky?

4. SirVin

SirVin First Mate

Which one Over The Left One Or The Right One Bc The The Right One Is Easy Even Bucs Can Destroy That Fishy

5. Tim Martel

Tim Martel Crew

On the left. It was 2 skull difficulty. I haven't tried the 3 skull one I just found yet.

6. Bat

Bat Powder Monkey

What are the strongest pirates for sea battles? I am looking for the strongest pirate composition for attacking max lvl ships and monsters with the fewest losses. let's assume pirates are at max or near max lvl and recruiting times/cost are not important.

7. Skye

Skye Commodore

It depends which kind of monster you're trying to destroy. Brutes are the best at fish, bombers are the best at Kraken, gunners and buccaneers are the best for the various ships, sky raiders (and I believe priestess) are the best for ghost ships.

When I'm farming fish, I use a full crew of brutes, with two gunners to fill up the last two slots.

When I'm farming ships for gunpowder, I use buccaneers and gunners.

8. Bat

Bat Powder Monkey

I don't get how brutes can be better than juggs. The brute's special skill would have to make a huge difference to make up for decreased stats and increased troop space. Same goes for Buccaneers. Wouldn't Skellies be better? How many brutes do you lose when farming a lvl 4 bigger fish?

9. Skye

Skye Commodore

I don't believe sea battles are entirely based on troop stats. And those abilities do seem to make a huge difference. Plus, brutes still have a lot of damage and a ton of hp.

I believe I lose about 6 brutes to a lv 4 fish, and sometimes one of the gunners as well. This trains very fast and cheaply though. In terms of recruitment time and cost per slot, its definitely the most efficient. I haven't tried juggs to compare, but they're significantly slower and more expensive per slot to train, whereas I can re-recruit my brutes after farming fish within a couple minutes, which is about how long it takes the fish to respawn.

bucket likes this.
  10. bucket

bucket First Mate

Never thought of just using just monster specific troops when farming for materials or bp. This sounds like an excellent idea. Great tip Skye. Thanks for the info, im going to be trying this as soon as my ship returns.

11. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

My Exploring army is a copy of my attacking one, so i get a quick army when needing loot.