Automatic Daily Rumbles

Discussion in 'Guild Improvements' started by Skye, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Skye

Skye Commodore

My proposal is for in another maintenance, for no new rumbles to be able to be started during that day, so that everyone can finish up their current rumble and have everything cleared out.

From the next night on, every day during maintenance, every guild with an active captain (within the last two weeks) will automatically be entered into a rumble, for free when the server comes back up, and the rewards will be determined when it goes back down for maintenance the next night.

Once all guilds are properly matched up, if there are any unmatched, it pulls in up to 4 inactive guilds to fill out the last slots, split across random matchups.

This guarantees all active guilds always get a matchup. It also saves worrying about the captain logging on at the right time to start the next rumble. It decreases the chances of always matching up against the same guild, since you have the entire pool to select from each time. And because its free and automatic, every active player is guaranteed at least some sort of daily reward, even if they only place fifth - that's better than nothing! There's no penalty for joining a rumble but there is a reward, and it would guarantee more choices to match up against so there's no waiting. Guilds that only liked to rumble once or twice a week can still focus on one specific rumble a week and just not try during the other ones - at least they get free rewards!

Time zones shouldn't be an issue because regardless of what time of day the rumble starts, your time zone falls at some point in that 24 hour window and your contribution will count equally regardless of how far into the rumble it happens. If people were really concerned about that, it could offset the start of each days rumble one hour each day, so it slowly cycles through the clock and eventually gives everyone's time zone a chance to be at each phase in the rumble. edit: this would also give everyone an hour a day to move between sister-guilds, do housekeeping, etc before the next match began.

To make it even more fair among guilds, every day you could match up guilds based on their previous days results: guilds that came in first match only with other guilds that came in first, guilds that came in second only with guilds that came in second, guilds that came in third only with guilds that came in third, guilds that came in fourth only with guilds that came in fourth, and guilds that came in fifth only with guilds that came in fifth. Then even if you don't try during one rumble, the next day you'll probably have a much easier one, so everyone wins at least some of the time, and you don't have to worry as much about losing many in a row. Minis also would become less of an issue, since if they won one rumble against you, you're less likely to face minis a second day in a row because you're matching against second place guilds. It also reduces the chances you'll come in last place every day in a row, as weaker guilds will end up matching against weaker guilds more often.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    *Cap'n Sparkle* likes this.
  2. yeti

yeti Captain

Sorry, but hell no from me! Im not a fan of rumbles, I definitely don't want to see them daily and mandatory...

3. Skye

Skye Commodore

Just because you were entered in one doesn't mean you have to try. There's no penalty for being in last place, and you still get a free chunk of resources every day even if you don't participate. You could still only actively try in them every once in a while, or even never.

What is the downside of being in one? If its matched based on previous day's rankings, you'll end up always matched against other weak guilds if you don't ever try to win, and thus you're not likely to really get attacked any extra.

4. yeti

yeti Captain

Because in a guild of 50 people you will have a broad spectrum of opinions and expectations. Some are competitive and will want to try and place high in every rumble - having people with zero interest will be perceived as letting the guild down and this will result in unrest, as im sure it does now. When the guild can agree on scheduled rumbles and expectations then everyone is on the same page and it is less onerous to expect a contribution when they're not happening daily. I am an active player, should I have to join an inactive guild just so I don't get forced into rumbles and have to deal with the increased attacks? I think not.

850arrr likes this.
  5. Skye

Skye Commodore

Wouldn't the ones that wanted to be competitive every day already be considering moving to a daily rumble guild? As long as the guild rules were clearly laid out that participation was only required on specific days, if they wanted to fight other days as well no one else would be forced to. Thats a matter of communicating expectations to the guild. If they wanted to try every day, why would they be in a guild that only rumbles some of the time to begin with? How would giving them the choice to do it every day if they felt like carrying the rest of the guild on none-rumble days do anything but encourage them to stay - since now they can try every day even if the rest of the guild doesn't join in?

Its just like rank pushing - anyone can rank push whenever they want to get a leaderboard spot. Guilds might have specific coordinated days where everyone tries for a high rank, but other days they aren't forced to try and just because some players drop rank to farm and the overall guild rank goes down, it doesn't effect those that are choosing to stay high - they still have the option to do that. Why would that be any different from "we aren't going to try to win rumbles except on wednesday and saturday"? Players that still wanted to be competitive could try and score big to carry the guild on other days, but they would understand they were doing it on their own those days since participation rules were clearly defined. There is no downside to being in a rumble and losing though, since even last place gets free loot, and by not being in a rumble, even if you aren't trying to win, you're losing out on a lot of free gold/grog.

But either way, even if you gave captains a way to opt out of the next day's rumble, I think synchronizing the start times so every rumbling guild was guaranteed a rumble on time would be useful, as would the ability to match up based on the previous day's rank. If you didn't rumble the previous day, you could be a wildcard that filled any tier, but in general it would provide more even matchups.

6. yeti

yeti Captain

Because it suits their playing style and game - they can spend some days rumbling, some days farming.

Rank pushing can be an individual sport, that's why there are guild ranks and player ranks. Rumbles are exclusively a team sport. They also increase the amount of attacks on your base, so whether its a participation day or a non participation day, you are affected, so yep, theres a downside.

Id be fine with it if there was the ability to opt out as a guild or an individual player, otherwise one size rarely fits all.

7. Skye

Skye Commodore

After the first day, if you're only getting matched against other guilds that lost (other guilds that placed fifth the previous day), they likely aren't going to be attacking very often as they would have scored higher if they did, and that shouldn't really increase how often you are hit.

8. Tex

Tex Commodore

C'mon @yeti it's your turn to respond...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  9. yeti

yeti Captain

Ha, well I'd hate to disappoint ;)

If we still want to rumble, let's say, only every second day, then we compete in rumble day one and place high. Day 2 we don't want to rumble, but since we placed high the previous day, we are matched with guilds who also placed high and we get hammered while we are farming to save for upgrades...

Sorry, but in the absence of the ability to opt out you won't talk me round @Skye, my argument is sound, just different to yours ;)

10. Bou Regreg

Bou Regreg First Mate

I am also against. Forcing people to rumble means that they become a target more often and that they can be a target by pirates with a much more developed base. Rumbles disregard the PH rules for matching. This new plan would make bullying that much easier.

11. Ian

Ian Commodore

nobody is forced to rumble; if you don't want to rumble.. Change to one of the growing number of guilds that don't.

12. yeti

yeti Captain

I think you missed the point...the suggestion was that every guild with an active captain would be automatically entered into a rumble. There would no longer be any active guilds that don't...

13. Ian

Ian Commodore

Sorry, misread that post... -1 on so many levels.
    Then I and many others would roll over and play dead (as @Skye suggests), or just leave the game. There would be many hollow victories at the top of the leaderboard when team don't fight back; yes, you get your reward for winning, but at what expense? Who will you fight/plunder once all the unwilling teams you forced into play your style of game, have left?

14. LYM

LYM Captain

Nice idea

15. 850arrr

850arrr Captain

I'm with Yeti on this one, not a good idea.

16. Kamikazemug

Kamikazemug First Mate

If they could slightly change the angle, auto join option in your guild for the rumble. that way i don't have to set My alarm clock or pass My cap right to our respected Japan player when in our European zone it is nighttime (yes I do sleep every other day)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  17. Booty isle

Booty isle Captain

Rumbles are in such a good place right now. The scoring is fair and the competition is well balanced. Please don't change anything midoki.