"Backing up" my island as insurance (iOS)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ElFrenetico, Jun 18, 2016.

1. ElFrenetico

ElFrenetico Captain

Hi! Is it correct that each of these is a way to back up my island so I can easily get to it if anything happens to my device?

1. iCloud backup of entire device, which includes the OS and all apps and settings. Restore image to any iPhone later to regain access.

2. Signed into Game Center on device, so island is associated. Sign into same Game Center account on any iPhone later to regain access.

3. (This is the one I'm not sure about.) Use the device transfer feature in the game to get a code for the island. Store the code somewhere. Use the transfer feature on any device (iOS or Android) in the future to regain access.

4. If worse comes to worst and all else fails, as long as I'm in a guild, theoretically tech support could find the island for me via the guild and send me a code, if I asked very nicely, begged pathetically, offered first-born pirate offspring, etc.

Thanks!
    -Mike

2. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

1) Not sure about iCloud stuff

2) Yep, if you sign into Game Centre then your island will become associated with that account. If you log into Game Centre on another device, it'll ask if you want to load the island, IIRC.

3) This won't work indefinitely - the code has a time limit then expires

4) Yes, we can *usually* retrieve and restore islands. The only time it becomes complicated is if you've been account sharing/playing multiple islands on the same device or GPkay/GC account (in which case, islands can be irretrievably lost.

3. Skye

Skye Commodore

The island share code times out, but if you go to the log book > settings > help, there's a page with your player ID on it in the upper right corner, and it might be a good idea to get a screenshot of that. I don't believe that ever changes.

I'm not sure if its useful when an island gets lost, and you certainly shouldn't share it with anyone else, but it can't hurt to have on hand, especially if it helps support locate your island faster.

4. ElFrenetico

ElFrenetico Captain

Thanks Lynsey & Skye! No immediate need, just thought I'd be a bit more cautious and plan for the day when bad luck catches up with me. :)