Bad names

Discussion in 'General Improvements' started by Captain Crumbly, Mar 15, 2015.

1. Captain Crumbly

Captain Crumbly Powder Monkey

Does anyone else think that some pirate names are a little bit offensive. Should there not be a limit on offensive names? Is this just too hard to police? Came across one pirate captain called Iraq hitler the other day thought this was a bit much, so I plundered all his loot.

2. Tex

Tex Commodore

I'm kinda offended by the use of "crumbly" in your name. What are you trying to insinuate?!

3. Captain Crumbly

Sorry Tex didn't realise Crumbly was offensive.

4. Tex

Tex Commodore

Exactly my point. o_O

5. Captain Crumbly

So anything goes?

6. ElGordo

ElGordo First Mate

@Captain Crumbly
    You are right. Some pirate names I found are very bad names which are in countries like germany are forbidden.
    The same problem we have with guild names

@Tex
    You shows the problem with a solution.
    What is the definition of a forbidden word or combination of words?
    Who wrote the list and made the decision forbidden or not?

It is always a small way between helping people not doing stupid things and censorship

First of all somebody of Midoki like @Lynsey [Midoki] gives us a final comment

In this forum we have 2 main points to consider
    • some members are under 18
    • we have members of many countries, all with different languages, cultures, relgions and laws

The technical solution is easy
    All forbidden words in this list.
    Every new entry or change of pirate and guild name will be check automatically.
    Old names maybe on complete check through all name. Autmatically switch word to a number. Pirate or Guild can change for free.

Filling the Blacklist is the problem
    To minimize probs some ideas

1. English speaking forum -> all in english common forbidden words, phrases and abbreaviation like
    motherfucker, ACAB, KKK

2. Option in this forum to send forbidden words, phrases and abbreaviation to Midoki to check
    If with explanation it could although work for non english words

But we will still have the problem with the differnt cultures and so on.

EDIT erase last sentence about religion

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    Captain Crumbly likes this.
  7. Captain Crumbly

Yes maybe a list of forbidden names would do the job.

8. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

We do have a list of banned names and phrases, which occassionally leads to people finding inventive ways of bypassing the filters (using punctuation/numbers so it's not exact). We've changed players' names before after they've been reported (and on the forum too, think one chap ended up with 'Captain Cupcake'.

If you see a name in-game that you find offensive, send a ticket via the in-game support feature (Log -> Settings -> Help -> Support).

If you see a name on the forum, report it using the forum reporting tools.

Sometimes it's obvious that somebody is just trolling with their name, but don't always assume the worst of the person - sometimes there are cultural differences which means something that's offensive in one territory isn't in another. So for example, in the UK, 'BNP' is an anagram of a far right political party associated with racism, whereas in India it's the name of a bank. In the UK, Krispy Kreme doughnuts did a big promotion for their 'Krispy Kreme Klub' with 'KKK Wednesdays', which obviously caused a bit of a stir on social media.

(And please, don't joke about any religion on here, a lot of people find it offensive!)

Tiger Claw and ElGordo like this.
  9. Floki

Floki Captain

No more variations of bearded pirates.....offensive.lol

10. Kakashi

Kakashi Crew

I am from India but never heard of a BNP BANK?

11. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

My mistake, it's not Indian, it's French! Not quite sure where I got India from!