Bombers run to find entry points, not bomb walls. Why?

Discussion in 'Battle Strategies' started by C.Calamity, May 12, 2015.

1. C.Calamity

C.Calamity Crew

i place my bombers in front of someone's double/triple layered walls in a strategic place BUT the bombers run for the nearest entry/gateway. WHY??????

2. Bombers are rather unpredictable, so I don't think there is an easy answer to your question. Usually they like destroying object that are on the other side of the wall. But I have never seen them run for the nearest entry. Was there a building on the other side of the wall they could hit?

3. C.Calamity

C.Calamity Crew

yes. but the walls were 3 layers thick.

4. Ian

Ian Commodore

I can't confirm the exact AI, but have noticed that some gunners will run towards a 'weaker' section of wall before trying to tear it down.. So in your case, was there any lower level walls near the gate?

5. C.Calamity

C.Calamity Crew

will have to observe next time.

6. Burnz

Burnz Captain

Bombers do not think of themselves as wall breakers first, unfortunately, they will always target a building over breaking through a wall. So use a couple of gunners first to clear a few buildings surrounding the walls you want to break first. That way they are more likely head to the walls, also practice using Kaboom on the walls.

7. Tex

Tex Commodore

To do this effectively you need the skill "dead man's trigger" so you can freeze them in the spot you are targeting using the skill button.

8. Burnz

Burnz Captain

Thanks tex, my mistake.

9. Keelhauler Jake

Keelhauler Jake First Mate

Just looking to make a clear and succinct summing-up of the general consensus:
    • Bombers are attracted to the "nearest" buildings. That would involve "reachable"
    • They will go through walls, but that's part of reaching buildings on the other side
    • (Mine) Bombers have "ADD" and will not always finish of a building they start to attack
    • (My question) I've seen Bombers "walk" mostly but sometimes they go wild and run to somewhere and attack it. Anyone know what causes this and what they are attracted to?
    (I removed the Entry Point statement as most people didn't think that was correct)

Please correct as appropriate and I'd love even a partial answer to my question.

[Edited to say I didn't include Entry Point and why]

10. I can remember Jun opening a thread regarding the crazy behaviour of the bombers (titled 'Bombers: the exclamation mark'). We never really got to the bottom of it unfortunately. I guess it's just something they do once in a while.

My own observations are that like Burnz has said, they are not wall breakers first and foremost and will get distracted by nearby buildings (so use a couple of gunners to clear them before launching any bombers otherwise they'll wander off in the wrong direction). The crazy stuff seems to be triggered when there's nothing in their immediate vicinity (i.e. no buildings/walls next to them) although it's such a random act, it's hard to tell.

11. Tex

Tex Commodore

I think one thing that triggers the exclamation mark is if they are getting fired upon.
    Maybe @Lynsey [Midoki] can confirm exactly what causes it so we are sure.

12. Becker Redbeard

Becker Redbeard First Mate

That was my observation as well (Exclamation jumps up when fired upon and they go running for that defensive unit).

Now, there is room for improvement for sure. They are no doubt the best troop for wall destruction. Had an attack yesterday where all buildings were leveled on an ENTIRE SIDE of rectangular base. Sent bombs in the middle, they go running towards the ends with an opening under GP fire (again, no building nearby). See them acting dumb so quick trigger Kaboooom! They cause some damage to side wall and are stunned, then press on to the opening in the wall when the stun wears off. Needless to say, battle lost.

13. C.Calamity

C.Calamity Crew

I wanted to put a dent in a triple-layer wall. Released the bomber. He started off for the distant corner. I hit the skill btn. NOTHING happened!!! He completely ignored my command to detonate the bomb. What gives???

14. Keelhauler Jake

Keelhauler Jake First Mate

Can't answer why he didn't go boom, but just to be sure you know, he went other than where you wanted because he saw a place where he could blow up something. The wall wasn't "interesting" for him.

Also, I've noticed the "!" behavior a LOT more frequently recently.

15. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

It would be nice if we had a clue what motivates bombers. As a player it would be nice to know and even nicer if they just went and bombed the closest wall.

yeti likes this.
  16. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

All I know is once they start their crackhead run, they like to run between buildings, and if you use Kabooom while they're doing that, those buildings fall down :)

17. Booty isle

Booty isle Captain

This is just another bug Midoki has refused to fix creating a negative impact on the game. The funny thing is they deny it even happens... There has been over 100 posts on this forum about this ai issue with bombers and we have only gotten a response that there is no issue... Which is funny because every player in this game knows there is an issue but Midoki......

18. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Devs have said that's intentional. They're softening up targets so other troops can finish them off.

19. Booty isle

Booty isle Captain

No Midoki has denied making changes to the bombers ai... And they may not have changed it.. But the reactions of the bomber changed after they introduced gold walls... They bomber my not have intentionally been changed but it changed its behavior when it had walls with higher hit points... I have been at 800+ pr for over two months now... Trust me I know all the tricks... I just wish they would fix the bomber to not look past the walls... My bombers will walk half way across the island to an open hole when there is nothing on the outskirts Of the walls to attack. They used to just go right thru, and they still do go right thru on the boned walls and below... Not the gold walls though... It is absolutely a bug and they need to fix it...

yeti likes this.
  20. C.Calamity

C.Calamity Crew

Gold walls and bombers. Yep. Just saw the same thing twice! Bombers don't want to bomb them.