Bridges and gates

Discussion in 'Build Improvements' started by DamianWars, Feb 2, 2015.

1. DamianWars

DamianWars First Mate

amongst the conversation about landlocked ships that are too unrealistic got me thinking about other areas of the game that are odd. like islands thrown all of over the place and pirates are expected to swim to them. I have seen outhouses out in the far corners and it kind of makes you wonder if the pirate is going to swim to the outhouse then what really is the point? (its just a good thing that each door in plunder pirates is a vortex to everyone other doorway). Another thing is walled in buildings with no access to the inside and watching my pirates jump the walls but enemies apparently can't do this.

So I thought bridges and gates would be a creative add. not really in the name of logic (because this is not exactly the most realistic game) but rather to give the maps an extra creative uniqueness. here are my thought son how these would look:

Bridges:
    there are two ideas for how a bridge would look.
    1. a bridge object (like a decoration) can be placed anywhere on the map. the bridge itself would span a narrow water area (like 1 or 2 segments). The bridge would always have water under it and land on either side of it and this would be inherent to the bridge object. so if you placed a bridge in the middle of land under the bridge would always be water or if you placed the bridge in the middle of the water at either end of the bridge will be small islands. This will also allow the bridge to span a larger areas as the land segments would act as a joiner piece to the mainland/island
    2. the other idea for a bridge would be wall segments (just bridge segments) each pirate hall would allow you a certain number of bridge segments that you can make however long you want and wherever you want. the same idea as the bridge above would apply where land would always be at the ends and water always under the bridge.
    the benefit to the bridge will be the "preferred" way to get to the other side. so just like when an enemy comes to a wall they will choose a open wall area in close range rather than destroy the wall in front of them. The "open wall" concept is use by players to lure pirates where they want them and a bridge will do the same thing. The pirate will choose the bridge in close range rather than swim. this will allow unique strategies to direct pirates where you want them.

Gates:
    Many players will build wall openings to try and lure pirates but pirates will also choose a weaker wall over a stronger wall too. Theoretically you could have a completely closed in wall area with a couple weak areas to lure attackers to those areas. but why not have a gate to accomplish the same thing? a gate would be a weak wall that would open freely for friendly pirates but would close for enemies. These gates would be weak and nowhere near as strong as a wall. The idea is to have a slight stall for enemies rather than just walking right in an open area. The gates also would be a lure for pirates just as weak segments/opening areas are and a pirate will choose a gate over a strong wall.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  2. Ashrovy

Ashrovy Powder Monkey

maybe should add some pictures for more illustration

3. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Glad you mentioned the bridges/gates being preferred paths for enemy troops. Had these things only served to make it easier for enemies to move around my base, I would have had a problem with this feature :)

I think it's a good one for the master list. However, I'm moving this topic to the Build subforum, since that's a better place for it.

4. DamianWars

DamianWars First Mate

yes the idea is pirates will choose the bridge/gate over swimming or destroying a wall. if positioned right it could lure pirates into weapon fire or simply just direct the pirate where you want them. if positioned wrong it would indeed make it easier for a pirate but that's all in the craft of the layout.

Kelani likes this.
  5. DamianWars

DamianWars First Mate

the new "flame gate" that was released in the newest update I think covers the gate idea in spirit. although not a physical gate that needs to be torn down it is a opening that pirates are drawn to that causes damage to pirates that pass through which is pretty much what I was getting at. The bridge concept however is still on the table. Perhaps something similar could be made for the bridge as it is for the "flame gate"... maybe a "flame bridge"?

6. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Are they actually drawn to it, or are they just passing through it because it's conveniently placed in their way? :)

7. DamianWars

DamianWars First Mate

you're right they are not drawn to the flame gate however if positioned in a open gap in a wall segment it is not the flame gate the pirates are drawn to but instead the open segment. As long as the flame gate is position in a preferred path that pirates naturally choose then it can exploit where pirates are drawn to. So the key is to put the flame gate over one of these areas but the pirates are neither drawn to or avoid the flame gate

Kelani likes this.