Change default zoom when searching bases.

Discussion in 'Battle Improvements' started by Kelani, Dec 2, 2014.

1. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I posted a similar feature request for a "default zoom/rotation view" when viewing your town, but Battle mode really needs this also.

Every time you view a town, it's displayed zoomed in, and rotated clockwise 45 degrees. Since base layout is a major factor in whether to attack, you really need to be able to see the whole base. For every base I give a closer look, I have to zoom out and rotate the base to see the big picture. After awhile, this gives me one hell of a hand cramp.

If saving your default view isn't an option, how about just showing base base zoomed out, and without the rotation? Players can then zoom and rotate if they need to look at a particular area, but aren't forced to do this for every...single...base.

it doesn't even need to be fully zoomed out. 50% would work just fine.

2. Admin [Midoki]

Admin [Midoki] Administrator Staff Member

Zoomed out based on what though? The size of the island, the size of the build area?

As you level up the town hall the build area increases. This means every time you look at a base the camera position is going to have to be recalculated based on the above, no doubt leading to a delay. There's no really an easy solution to what you're suggesting, too many permutations are involved

3. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

@Chris [Midoki] Sorry if I'm misunderstanding you. Are you saying the focus and zoom used for each base is variable based on its size/position?

Whenever I view a base, the focus is always the center of the build area (by that, I mean anywhere on the map where a building can be placed) , and the zoom appears to be static (about 50%). If that's true, then aren't both focus and zoom set to a specific value? :) I'm just suggesting the default zoom level when viewing bases be zoomed out to show more of the build area.

4. Admin [Midoki]

Admin [Midoki] Administrator Staff Member

Sorry I thought you meant you wanted the zoom value to dynamically shift depending on the size of the island you are looking at. Yes we could just change to zoom value to be further out for all the bases, but then won't the smaller ones look too small? We picked what we thought was a happy medium for both large and small bases, but it is something we can revisit. It's just a number after all :)

5. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

That makes sense, and at lower levels, the zoom is perfect. It's when you start running into PH5-PH7 bases that have maximized land area that the zoom is just too close. I guess if you wanted to be elegant about it, you could always make the default zoom change based on PH of the base you visit :)

IMO, the issue of smaller bases looking too small is less of a problem, because you can still get the benefit of the big picture. Also, I think that'd only affect bases that are PH1-PH4. When I had a PH5, my base was just about as compact as it could be, and the default zoom was still close enough that I had to zoom out to see everything.

6. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

+1 for remembering last used zoom level.

7. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

I kinda like the fixed zoom at start. I prefer to see buildings at a certain size and if it zoomed out fully at PH6 and 7 I wouldn't be able to see much definition

8. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

IMO, it doesn't even need to be fully zoomed out. Just 3/4 or so.

9. SaK

SaK First Mate

+100 from me too