Collecting pirates at the end of an exploration

Discussion in 'Exploration Strategies' started by Moscow Cat, Oct 21, 2014.

1. Moscow Cat

Moscow Cat Crew

Greetings! I am wondering about collecting pirates at the end of exploration trips. I have noticed that when I recruit pirates while my ship is out to sea but do not used them in a battle by the time my ship return home to port, when I "collect" the returning pirates they just disappear. Grog levels do not go up, and after I do fight a battle there are no pirates waiting in a que. It seems, then, that a good strategy would be to wait until I have used those pirates in my tavern first before collecting the returned pirates. This doesn't work so well, however, if I don't want to waste pirates or battle because I have a shield, but do still want to explore. Is this correct? Is there something I am missing? (Forgive me if this is a silly question, I am quite new to all this. And my apologies if something about this has been posted elsewhere. I read widely without seeing anything but I will admit I haven't read the entire forum.) Thank you!

2. Bear

Bear Commodore

If you want to explore, and not attack due to a shield then don't train new pirates in your tavern. Just wait for them to return then collect them and send them out again. If you do want to battle, then just go battle and empty your tavern before collecting the pirates who came back from exploring.

3. Moscow Cat

Moscow Cat Crew

Right. The situation was as such - recruited pirates, realised I had been playing for hours and was late to class, ran out the door, checked later and had been attacked so there was a shield in place, and in the meantime my ship had come home. I suppose what I am really asking is if I am missing something, or if the "disappearing pirates", so to speak, are normal. (Not that it is such a big deal, I suppose it is more out of curiosity than anything.)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
  4. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

And again here for the newer solution

Hope this helps

Bear likes this.
  5. Moscow Cat

Moscow Cat Crew

Oh man! Where was that?!? I'm so embarrassed. Sorry to waste your time with an already answered question. But thank you for the response. That does help.

6. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

As you can see by how many times I've posted, I've been around the block here. I've read quite a bit. I remember a lot of these posts and just search for the key words.

7. Moscow Cat

Moscow Cat Crew

Ah. I see now it was hiding under build bugs. The one place I did not look! That will teach me. But thanks again.

8. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Very welcome.

Moscow Cat likes this.
  9. Moscow Cat

Moscow Cat Crew

I have seen your name, yes :). And I have been enjoying this forum very much. Hopefully I will eventually have read it all so I won't start needless threads! I see it was also discussed in general improvements, and I must admit I never even thought to look there as in my mind I was not making a suggestion. I just need to read more! Thank you again.

Gangrene Beard likes this.
  10. lady blackbeard

lady blackbeard Captain

Having a full tavern while you have another set of pirates exploring is a good way to store "extra" grog when you have no shield. Just be sure to use the tavern crew first before you return the boat crew to land. Your tavern slots probably won't hold both sets of pirates. Sometimes I can budget the tavern slots to accomodate a small returning crew, but you will lose any overflow from the boat. That's a waste of pirates. Boat rats are another issue for us cats to discuss another day. Meow!

Cocobean and Kelani like this.