Controllable Plunder Cam

Discussion in 'General Improvements' started by Bear, Nov 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bear

Bear Commodore

I wish plunder cam had an auto and manual mode. Auto would perform as normal. Manual would give you the ability to set the viewing angle and zoom. Being able go truly pan the image. To get pictures of buildings from the ground looking up towards the sky. So many great screen shots could be made if we could set our own zoom and angle.

As far as controls. Keep them all the same. Just add and angle control by swiping two fingers up or down.

Master Pogi likes this.
  2. Gristle

Gristle First Mate

You just wanna peek in the outhouses....:\

Bear likes this.
  3. Bear

Bear Commodore

One of many benefits to this idea. Lol

4. Gristle

Gristle First Mate

Someone posted a while back that a vid of the outhouse getting trashed while someone was in it would be funny!

5. Bear

Bear Commodore

@Kelani

6. AngryBeard

AngryBeard Community Manager

Interesting suggestion! My first thought was that this might exceed the capacity of some mobile devices, but maybe in 2 years or so?

Gangrene Beard and Bear like this.
  7. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Are you saying the realtime render for a controlled plunder cam would be a memory hog? :) C'mon!

8. Bear

Bear Commodore

Just make it available on Android devices once it's released on that platform. No worries then.

9. Kizmatti

Kizmatti First Mate

Yeah, then you can keep plundering in 8 bit! Just like 1972!

Gangrene Beard likes this.
  10. Bear

Bear Commodore

Lol. Since you have obviously never played games on an android device. Do a quick Google Image search for Android gaming graphics. Most android devices. Phones and especially tablets have the hardware to support console quality games and graphics without lag or memory problems.

But I don't want to distract the topic here. The point is that a controllable plunder cam would be amazing. And hopefully it won't take 2 years. Lol

11. Kizmatti

Kizmatti First Mate

I'd definitely enjoy controllable camera.

The older Apple devices lack memory (512 Meg's)- pre IPad air and pre iPhone 5. I would think 1 gig memory would be minimum spec needed for camera to run smooth and not crashing constantly.

Android tablets and phones are nice units now, I was just poking fun at your sig. 5 years ago they were junk thou. Wife and I are so invested into Apple switching just isn't an option.

Bear likes this.
  12. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

@Bear good memory. I absolutely want to see an occupied outhouse being trashed. All I caught in my video was a builder's hut. :/ I'd pay gems for someone who can get this on video, but since I can't, all I can offer is my thanks and a "you are awesome". :)

A controllable cam would be nice, but I'm concerned that it'd be difficult to use. By the time you moved the camera to focus on something, the troops would probably have moved on to something else. I also kinda like the random aspect of it. IMO, all Battle Replay Plundercam needs (aside from being re-added NOW) is simply more camera shots which focus on the action. ex: if Building A is being deconstructed, but Building B is sitting pretty, I don't need to see Building B's finely-crafted roof. :)

Also, a bit longer duration (2-3 seconds) between each angle change, or ability to set the duration of each shot would be nice.

Bear likes this.
  13. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

I still see it as a feature in replays only, not live

14. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Same here. No way i'd want that during an actual battle. :) But in Town View, some controllability would be kind of nice. Beats spending 10 mins just to spy on the outhouses, which y'all know I love so much.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2014
  15. Bear

Bear Commodore

Yeah. I only intended my suggestion for town view

16. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

17. Neckbeard

Neckbeard Crew

You do have a tiny bit of control over the plunder camera already, in that you can turn it on and off. And when it comes back on it will pick a new target to follow. I take advantage of this when watching a replay, if the camera isn't pointed at where I'm interested in, pause, then toggle the camera on and off until you find what you are looking for. But this is just a lame workaround...I would love to see more development on the plunder cam.

The hard part of implementing more control over the plunder camera isn't the rendering performance. Rather, it's coming up with an intuitive touch screen interface. How about, add next/previous buttons to select which unit to look at. And then add the ability to swipe to control the camera angle, and pinch to zoom in and out.

Bear likes this.
  18. Bear

Bear Commodore

Kind of like ghost watching opponents In halo or call of duty when you are waiting to respawn. Good idea.

19. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Feature was rejected by devs. See master list for details. Closing thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.