Do we upgrade everything before upgrading the hall?

Discussion in 'General Strategies' started by Syun, Sep 27, 2014.

1. I see my plan coming togheter

2. SirVin

SirVin First Mate

Lol Srsly Dude

3. Depending on how you play the advantage of getting to ph4 quickly could be large. If you attack much more than you defend then it is strategically advantageous to rush to ph4 to get the extra 15 troops in the tavern. The amount you lose at ph4 per defense is the same as you would lose at ph3 until you upgrade your storage capacity past the ph3 level, then there is a small window of additional loses due to the increased capacity (I can't imagine it is enough to warrant any fear of rushing your ph though). However, the difference between attacking with 35 troop space as compared to 20 i have found to be quite large.

With 35 troops i can handle attacking bases with much more loot than I was able to with 20 troops. I don't see much down side to prioritizing your ph/tavern/academy upgrades over defensive. Obviously you don't want to completely forgo defensive upgrades but so long as you keep them at a reasonable level you should be fine.

Im still only ph4 so I can't say whether it makes sense to rush to ph5 but if I were to start over again I would rush to ph4 because the offensive difference is so huge in my opinion

4. SirVin

SirVin First Mate

I Now Have. A Max PH 4 Except For Walls A Stonemason A Blackmith Lvl 2 Gold Mine And Distilleries Lvl 8 And 2 Storages Lvl 8 Should I Up My PH To 5

5. Zeuticus

Zeuticus Crew

Pirates cost more and take longer to recruit when upgraded, so some upgrades aren't worth taking. The naval combat skills are a waste, IMO.
    I get all the resources I need from plundering other players, so upgrading resource production isn't important after the early levels.
    Upgrading Tavern and Academy are major priorities. Training gunners for damage and range, and training brutes for damage and toughness has been important for my attacking style.
    Defense upgrades are a good use of gold. Pirate training mostly requires grog. I usually need grog more than gold.

6. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

I'm a completionist...must...upgrade....everything

7. m4thw1z

m4thw1z Crew

I think rushing is fine because there is no penalty. At PH 5 I am sort of forcing myself to take my time because I am maxing the defenses and doing storages, mines and pumps last. So I am nearing max but can only fit 1 mil gold and I need 2 mil gold to upgrade my pirate hall.

8. Black Beard

Black Beard Powder Monkey

I max everything out before going up to the next PH level

9. donkeykilla

donkeykilla First Mate

If you raid for resources you should rush it. Especially ph6 I wish I started it a week before I did, now I'm just sitting around waiting. I've dumped milions of gold overboard simply because I have nowhere to use it.

10. HoyaSaxa

HoyaSaxa Powder Monkey

at the later stages, it takes so long to upgrade the pirate hall that it would be foolish to upgrade everything else first. you'll be waiting a week+ for your PH to upgrade while having idle builders.

note that this is assuming that PvP matches are based upon ranking and not PH level.

11. Bear

Bear Commodore

I wouldn't say rush it. But be smart. I like to upgrade almost everything. Then I will upgrade my pirate hall when I have enough time to finish upgrading everything else while the pirate hall is finishing.

12. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

The key is to not get behind in upgrades. You don't want to have to have your island really far behind and your pirate hall really far ahead, you'll fail.

13. HoyaSaxa

HoyaSaxa Powder Monkey

why is that? I'd agree if PvP was matched on PH level, but it's not. I can be more successful with a PH level 7, hanging around in the 200s with nothing but upgraded walls and working on defense, than you would be toiling away at PH 5, in the 200s, working on upgrading your (somewhat useless outside of hitpoints) stills and mines, lower level walls and lower level defenses. Different playing styles, I guess. halloween_rolleyes

14. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Who's to say matchmaking will stay that way? If the new update suddenly changes to base matchmaking on pirate rank AND pirate hall level, then you'd be rather screwed. Maybe I'm a bit too cautious in that sense.

15. Goodluck with getting your walls fully upgraded to PH7 standard :p Hope you got some money stored on a treasure island..

16. donkeykilla

donkeykilla First Mate

I completely agree with you. This game is essentially asking you to rush your PH at every level especially if you raid a lot. I didn't rush PH 6 that much (maybe 2-3 days early) and I regret it still. I just threw gold overboard for a week because walls were done and I had nowhere to put it.
    Think about it this way. PH 6&7 upgrades take 8&9 days. I've been playing for a month and I'm PH6 with academy 5 upgrades on the way and lvl 6 walls already finished. Finishing everything and then waiting those 17 days is foolish in my opinion. There is no downside to rushing PH, only upside. I'm rushing to PH7 as soon as gold storage finishes or I'm gonna be looking at at least another week of throwing gold overboard. The old rule for these games is max everything then do PH. I think it's a bad strategy for this game.

17. Liquix

Liquix Crew

I was one of those who upgraded everything before upgrading PH but it becomes a mistake at PH 5+ because of this (pay attention to my post):
    http://forum.plunderpirates.com/index.php?threads/1-million-loot-raid.1175/#post-10440

I would recommend you to start the build of PH6 (+) as soon as possible and upgrade everythign else while the build of it takes 7 days+
    If you'll do different you'll be just as stucked and bored (!!!) as I was ;)

18. HoyaSaxa

HoyaSaxa Powder Monkey

Thanks for saying it better than I did.

19. Absolutely rush the Pirate Halls... I feel confident this is a universal truth and not just this man's opinion, for this one particular issue. I'm finding all those who advise otherwise are likely well-intentioned CnC veterans, but those rules don't apply here.

I think of it this way, I can get 75% effectiveness from all those new gold mines and grog distilleries, and extra cannons, towers and so on, along with all of those lovely explosive mines and walls, all for a fraction of the cost and time of levelling up everything in the higher levels.

so a player can achieve an amazing (and quick and cheap) defence up front by levelling up the PH and then having loads of gold and grog left over for doing the slow levelling up of everything after that, whichever style of play that they prefer, be it defence, raiding, training, exploration or some mix of the four...

the great news is that the PH gold can come from 3 or 4 ports or strongholds on the map, so the levelling up to PH lvl 7 can happen amazingly fast...

donkeykilla likes this.
  20. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

Then you got on your first raid and pull twice that, and then repeat every half hour, making the mine/distillery income seem trivial. Well at least if you've prioritized investing into your Tavern and Acadamy training.