Does a moat work?

Discussion in 'Build Strategies' started by Oppressed, Sep 28, 2014.

1. Oppressed

Oppressed Powder Monkey

Check out my current build. My idea is that the small moat around the middle will not only unstealth theives but also slow down attackers because they have to stop and do the jump animation into the water and then the animation for coming out of the water. My only question is if it's.

[​IMG]

2. Kit

Kit First Mate

Very interesting base. Have you put it to test yet?

3. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

What device are you playing on? looks stunning with the shadows

4. Oppressed

Oppressed Powder Monkey

iPhone six plus.

5. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

Gotta check it out. Its either that or an iPad:)
    Btw, tell me if your base setup works later ok? If it does, it could be very effective since units have to do their animations as you mentioned.

6. Pirate Fear

Pirate Fear First Mate

It looks amazing, when I am not horrible, I'll be sure to try that strategy out!

7. Admin [Midoki]

Admin [Midoki] Administrator Staff Member

Remember though, you can only drop attacking troops in water. By adding a moat through your island, surely you're just bringing the high level targets closer to the enemy troops. Can't deny it does look good though :)

8. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

But isn't that one too thin to be able to drop units on?

9. Admin [Midoki]

Admin [Midoki] Administrator Staff Member

10. Kit

Kit First Mate

Oh, well, it was great while it lasted. :D

Edward Kenway likes this.
  11. Edward Kenway

Edward Kenway Captain

haha:D

I actually met someone just a minute ago that had this kind of base. I could put my troops in the gap, so.. not so effective. I think the best thing would be to make the island huge, so that it will be harder for enemy plunderers to target the building they want to attack. For example I always make sure I attack the mortars first with my brutes. It will be harder to target them if the island is bigger.

Kit likes this.
  12. Razor

Razor Crew

Thats why you put the decorations around the edge of your base, to move the sand a little more back.

13. Pirate Fear

Pirate Fear First Mate

It is more like a decoration moat :rolleyes:

14. Paldubeast

Paldubeast Powder Monkey

As long as it has waters you can drop your troops there.

Pretty well balanced layout you got there man!

15. TheLastOfUs

TheLastOfUs Powder Monkey

I think I have a way to make a moat work technically. If you could make the distance from the closest building on the outside of the moat closer than the inside it should work in pulling the troops onto the outer ring than back through the moat the get to your actual base. You could do this simply by putting decor on the outside of your walls and try to make the outer ring out of buildings only. I suggets using the tavern, academy, guild hall, builders huts, ect....

16. Yes that will work as the troops will destroy your buildings on the outer circle. But.
    -They will have no problem destroying those buildings because it is impossible to protect them
    -The enemy troops will only lose a little time if the attack is coordinated well. (I would first drop a small amount of troops that take care of a couple buildings in the outer ring and then drop the majority of my troops who will head to the main base)
    -The enemy will lose no troops by destroying those building, so free % for him and more chance he get's at least the 50% star

17. TheLastOfUs

TheLastOfUs Powder Monkey

yeah I see what you mean by an easy 50% star but than again most player only really portect resources defenses and pirate halls. most people including myself put atleast 30% of there buildings on the out side just like with clash of clans. you just don't have enough defensive building to defend all of them

18. Pirate Fear

Pirate Fear First Mate

Resource is better then PH

19. I put my other buildings adjacent to the wall, that way they are still protected. My mortars can cover all my buildings. And all my cannons togheter too

20. Pirate Fear

Pirate Fear First Mate

Keep in mind that mortars can only target one group of enemies.