[Heavy Gunner] Needs improvement

Discussion in 'Battle Strategies' started by Pirate Bee, Oct 29, 2014.

1. Pirate Bee

Pirate Bee First Mate

So here is another late game crew that sounds awesome till you actually go out and use one. Currently mine cost 15k grog take up 5 slots and have the rapid fire ability unlocked. The rapid fire is awesome to watch but really my 5 gunners on their own do more damage and can be spread out in case of accidentally getting mortar splash damage. I am pretty sure this crew used to be much stronger before the ph7 patch and I'm not sure why it was nerfed. Higher damage and/or taking up less spots is necessary to make this crew playable.

2. Gristle

Gristle First Mate

Hmmm not there yet, but good to know...

3. A guild mate of mine was very happy with his heavy gunner and he didn't even upgraded it. So I guess either don't upgrade him to keep the costs low or you guys just have different opinions :)

4. Midleton

Midleton Crew

heavy gunner is useful, gunners can be spread out at the beginning, but they sometimes clump together anyway after a while and one mortar is all it takes. 300 health ensures heavy gunner sticks around for a bit.

5. BOB FOLY

BOB FOLY Crew

I've found the heavy gunner isn't a very useful troop. My attacks seem to go better with out it and like the op said just taking the extra gunners ..
    Over all the gunner is my goto troop
    3 jug 1 WD 6 bomb 6 brutes 24 gunners .. Placed right I don't have much of an issue with any base I've come across

I've tried to mix in the heavy gunner and I dont seem to do as well as I do without it, I was hoping for so much more.

6. donkeykilla

donkeykilla First Mate

Thats because the gunner is the best troop we have the the HG is mediocre at best. 5 gunns spread out or 1 HG? Pretty easy decision even if time and cost were the same.

BOB FOLY likes this.
  7. BOB FOLY

BOB FOLY Crew

I was just really hoping that with his range and with the ability he was gonna be better then he was.

8. Midleton

Midleton Crew

If he had about 150-200 more health, I'd be all down with the heavy gunner. For damage, I'm pretty okay, but his health doesn't match his grog cost, methinks.

9. Neckbeard

Neckbeard Crew

I'm a heavy gunner fan. Mine are level 10, which is skipping the one optional +10 health, and all the academy 6 upgrades. They cost 20k this way, and I don't think the +10 damage and + 50 health would be worth more than doubling their cost to max them. I've been rocking 3 heavys, 4 jugs, 4 brutes, 4 bombers, 16 gunners, and 1 witch doctor. Compared to BOB FOLEY's army, the heavys replace some of both the gunners and the tanks, since they act as both.

After clearing outer buildings with gunners, I deploy the heavys right along with the jugs, brutes, and bombers to breach the wall. They reduce the damage to the tanks by taking out defenses on other side of the wall, and sometimes help with attacking the wall. If the wall has more than a couple of spaces behind it, the heavys will get through it before the jugs even arrive. The heavies usually survive until the end of the battle, and if I were to try to deploy regular gunners so early they will die to mortar splash before they could do any damage. The heavies will die pretty fast to a high level bunker or gun tower if you don't keep them behind your tanks, but they are beefy enough to survive a lot of mortar strikes.

I also like their run-n-gun...how they will shoot while moving, instead of having to stand still like the gunners do.

One more thing...I don't always deploy them. I won't drop the gunners unless the base has more than 500k resources (and I don't use the WD unless > 700k). I can effectively loot a lot of bases with just the jugs, brutes, bombers, and light gunners. That saves 110k off the cost of my full army.