Help! High level mortars

Discussion in 'Battle Strategies' started by fireball346, Jun 11, 2015.

1. I have come to the conclusion that my army composition isn't that good anymore against those PH5 with two high level mortars. I often lose
    because the mortars are in the middle of the base protected by 4-5 cannons.Can you give me some tips on how to take on those kind of bases?

2. awbo

awbo Captain

What army are you using? Do you include Brutes, they will go straight to defences and start bashing away. Once the defences are focussed on them you can send in gunners to take them out. You can also use 'Bring it On' to focus fire away from your other troops. Juggs can sometimes be frustrating for centralised defences because they just attack the nearest thing. If you want them to take out defences you have to clear a path for them with other troops first. Having said all that, you need to go for the mortars straight up, if you don't they will decimate your army before you can get all the loot. I am not claiming to be a battle expert but I hope these tips help.

Salty Snack likes this.
  3. Salty Snack

Salty Snack Captain

Good advice.

awbo likes this.
  4. Tex

Tex Commodore

@fireball346 what is your PH level and Tavern level? Also how many slots does your tavern allow? And lastly, post a single screenshot of a base layout you are having trouble with so we can give you advice on where to drop troops.

5. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

And of course, look for islands that do not protect those mortars from Sky Raiders. There is nothing that feels as good as a group of sky boys taking out a mortar or two. It's always a nice way to start a battle.

6. [​IMG][/URL][/IMG] Thanks for the tips and by the way my army is composed of 11 bucanners,12 gunners and three brutes and I have 35 tavern slots and also I am waiting for my PH level 5.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  7. awbo

awbo Captain

I am thinking @Kelani would tell you not to bother with bucs.

8. Fireball the brutes take up space but are good at soaking up fire, so id say take 3-4. Follow that up with a few bombers for walls and the rest gunners. Clear outer buildings with gunners first (as long as they are out of reach of the defenses) then drop your brutes, let them walk in a bit before you drop the bomber and gunners.....cross your fingers!

Upgrade gunners as a priority, brutes and bombers as these can help build up your loot. Thieves are also useful but they need to be a fairly high level before you will see them as an effective addition.

Do not be affraid to lose, just take the outer mines/pumps and aim for the stores, it's loot you need ;)

Shakesbeard likes this.
  9. Thank for the tips.

10. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Umm.. Kelani wouldn't say anything of the sort.. With a 35 slot tavern, I'd tell him:

1. Use a 50%/50% mix of bucs and gunners, maybe sacrificing 4 gunners for a Brute
    2. Only raid for easy loot. Not for PR, and not to win.

Tex likes this.
  11. I'll try that and thanks again for the help.

12. Tex

Tex Commodore

Great advice there actually. Once you get your tavern up 60 slots it will be much easier. You can still take on those fully maxed bases, but as @Kelani pointed out, only if you can grab the loot. The only thing you should be caring about atm is getting your PH to level 6 fully maxed and troops fully trained to that level. Then you will have experience and strength to determine what's next.

Kelani likes this.
  13. Well I just got to PH5 and I have a long way to go till level 6 but I'll do my best.Once again thank you
    all for the help.

14. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

Me? I've a 50-slot tavern. I use:
    (Kel PLZ don't scold me with my expensive army)
    7 Bucs
    7 Gunners
    7 Sky Raiders
    3 Thieves, just for fun
    4 Bombers
    2 Brutes
    2 Juggernauts
    4 WDs (OK, that might be a little too much, but please don't give me a lecture again, Kel:D

I play defensive, so the 4 WDs are always used even on a PH5 base like my own. At least that clears my Tavern for my exploring crew:)

Alright, now to using my army.

I send the Brutes first, followed by the Juggs. Th3en, in comes a WD and the Bucs. Following is the Gunner army and a WD. Then, the Raiders come in and mop up the remaining mortars etc. I try to get a WD to follow them, but the results aren't very good sometimes. Lastly, 4 Bombers and 3 Thieves come in, together with the last WD.

Good luck! I can win PH6 bases with exposed mortars with this army. Brute is training "Bring it On" now.

15. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Hey, if you want to add dozens of minutes to your hiring times, thus reducing the amount of loot you are able to plunder in a given session, and threby slowing down your build speed to the point where you die of old age before you get to PH7, that's your choice. :)

Ian and War Koala like this.
  16. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

Err... Kel, I play on 10-min intervals, so actually hire times don't matter for me:D I understand your point too, though

17. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

But it does matter, because you're still sitting around waiting for troops to hire, thus reducing the amount of times you can raid, thus reducing the amount of loot you could raid, thus slowing the progress of your island. And since you are a ph5 with a base far from being maxed, your grog can be better spent elsewhere (training troops and building stuff). Those three extra WDs are taking up six slots that could be used for gunners.

Kelani likes this.
  18. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  19. Hei,Kelani could you give me your opinion about my farming troops because I'm not sure what should I use.Anyways, I usually recruit 10 bucs,14 gunners,3 brutes and 4 juggs.Now, should I replace a few bucs with bombers or with one witch
    doctor?
    Also, is it normal at PH 5 to get bases that are PH8, because when I am trying to find a suitable base to raid it's either a PH 7 with high level defenses or a PH 8, but sometimes I find a PH 6 and very rarely a PH5.

20. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

@fireball346 It really depends on what your goal is. I tell my guys that whenever they're building, they should focus on hiring a fast/cheap army, and getting in as many easy loot raids as possible. That means attacking exposed/poorly-defended collectors and storages using as few troops as possible. If it looks like you'll win, great, let the battle continue. If not, just get the loot and quit.

It is unfortunately normal to find PH7-PH8 bases at all PR levels. There are lots of reasons for that, but mostly it's because there has always been a grog shortage at higher PRs (600+), and there are no incentives for people to rank up. It's much harder to win, you have to use a stronger army, so you can't raid as often, and big loot is much more difficult to find. So when a PH8 is building things like those lovely 1.2 million walls, dropping to a low PR is pretty much the only way to do it before you die of old age.

I'm a maxed PH8. When I need a lot of loot, I drop to around 150-200 and stay there raiding, just like I tell my lower level guys to do.

So, for a 50 spot tavern to get easy loot, I recommend
    18-20 bucs and 18-20 gunners (use whatever ratio works best for you)
    1-2 Brutes/Juggs - Not always needed. On the harder bases, drop them off first so they'll draw fire away while your other guys grab the loot.
    2-3 Bombers - Rarely needed. But good to have if there's a wall or undefended building that needs to go down fast. (ex: a storage that's exposed on the beach, protected by a mortar or other defenses. Drop a few gunners, then while the defenses shoot at them, drop a bomber to help take it down faster)

Only when you're looking to win battles should you deploy a WD ormore than 1-2 of the expensive/high hire time troops. For example:

My easy loot raiding party (I carry these troops just in case, but usually only deploy gunners, raiders, and at most 1-2 Brute or Juggs)

31 Gunners
    8 Sky Raiders
    4 Bombers
    2 Brutes
    4 Juggs
    2 WD (ONLY use these when I find a well-defended rich base)