How many Witch Doctors should a PH5 use?

Discussion in 'Battle Strategies' started by Kelani, Jun 22, 2015.

?

1. 0

2. 1

3. 2

4. 3

5. 4

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

I know my answer, but I'm curious what others think. So, let's ask the community.

For the record, I recommend that PH5 members:

1. Use a Bucs/Gunners and 1-2 brutes.
    2. Do lots of hit and run raids for easy loot. Winning is a bonus, but not the goal.
    3. Spend that loot as fast as possible to make your base less of a target

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
  2. Bear

Bear Commodore

Yeah. I didn't add a WD to my raiding party until ph 6, and only when I was ranking up against ph7s.. There was no ph 8 at the time

Kelani likes this.
  3. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

Well, well. Today I found my Guild in Rumble again, and thought, oh well, time to fight those PH6 again. So, I am stuck with my "expensive" army of 4WDs.

4. Ultimate Sea Dog

As a joke:
    I used 3 WDs when I was PH4. :D

That was expensive and I got a BIG scolding from Kel. ;)

5. Ian

Ian Commodore

A common mistake made by young Pirates with too much grog.. ;) Most only do it once, but some never learn.

6. I share your opinion on this.
    When you have a PH 6 you should start giving juggernauts a try

7. Ultimate Sea Dog

Well, here's my army.
    maybe I'm a little too ahead of my time? I have the "classic" 2M grog stores. Already.

I use an army that costs 60K grog (please excuse me if calculations differ).

L13 Bucs x7
    L14 Gunners x7
    L10 Brutes x2
    L5 Thieves x3 (because my niece, who likes to watch me play when she's around, loves their hat)
    L5 Sky Raiders x7 (to do my flying practice, for Rain of Fire later)
    L4 (training for L5) Bombers x4, to bomb walls
    L4 WDs x4 (okay, this is for backup. I use normally 2 or 1)
    L2 Juggs x2 (to disarm traps. I send them near the walls, hopefully they will jump in to disarm traps and enter without breaking walls)

8. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Just curious. How long does that army take to hire?

For the most part, and with that one glaring exception, your army is fine,

Gunners/Bucs - Good mix, but you need more of them. And soon, Bucs should start tapering off, and being replaced with more gunners. By midway through PH5, Bucs shouldn't be used anymore.

Raiders - I'm a big fan. And getting practice with them is a very good thing. Plus, they're one of the strongest units in the game (and Rain of Fire is, or was at one point) the strongest attack in the game. I carry 6-7 on every raid, even if I don't get to use them.

Thieves, ehhh. I used to keep one in my army to send to any missing outbuildings I couldn't find. But I guess making a niece giggle also works.

Brutes/Juggs - You don't need more than one of each to get the loot at your level, but whatever. You just have to look at how may slots these guys take up. If you have a Jugg and Brute you never deploy, that's essentially 7 slots of your tavern wasted.

I still think using 4 WDs is a complete waste of 8 of your tavern slots, for several reasons.

1. WDs repel each other. As Lynsey put it, "They don't like to step on each other's toes". If you drop two next to each other, they will move apart. Usually following one weird troop, and leaving lots of troops undefended. Use more WDS, and that problem gets worse. So to use 2+, you have to drop them in little squads on opposite sides of the map.
    2. You don't have enough troops in your tavern to need, much less form more than two squads, and have them be effective.
    3. You won't be attacking bases that require more than two squads for quite some time.
    4. Again, If you carry two WDs that you hardly ever deploy, you're wasting 4 slots of your tavern.
    5. At your level, defenses are pretty weak, so the WD's aura isn't very helpful
    6. At your level, if you attack stronger bases, the WD's protective range and effect is pretty negligible, so it won't protect you that well.
    7. WDs are your first truly expensive/multi-minute hire time troop. Overuse can kill your profit from raids.

I started using 1 WD at PH7, and 2 when I was well into PH8. I've deployed 3 WDs a handful of times: When I was revenging some strong base that took a lot of loot from me.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  9. Shonda La

Shonda La First Mate

You didn't "find" your guild in rumble again. It was clearly announced in the MOD and you specifically requested guild ship troops for said rumble (posting, I quote, 'for tomorrow's rumble' 8 hours before the rumble began (to which I replied that the rumble was that day, not the next)).Perhaps you didn't intend to, but this makes it sound like you fell victim to some random rumble, which you most certainly did not.

And no, you're not ahead of your time. 4 WD is too many for anyone and you don't need them for backup, as those are 6-8 slots that could-and should-be used for GUNNERS.

Kelani likes this.
  10. Tex

Tex Commodore

Bad Sea Doggie :p

[​IMG]

Ian and Kelani like this.
  11. Bou Regreg

Bou Regreg First Mate

I was using 2 WDs (level 1) at PH5. Expensive but they did a good job protecting my gunners. Now that they are chasing my brutes I have eliminated them from my raiding party. I now save grog and time.

It is imperative to learn from ones mistakes, or one is bound to repeat them.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  12. Ultimate Sea Dog

@Bou Regag A WD with the VH2 upgrades are better. They still work.

13. Bou Regreg

Bou Regreg First Mate

Better, but not 8x the grog better (let alone increased recruit time). I think my entire crew costs the same as one of your Witch Doctors. Cheap and fast is better for low level farming, i.e., PH6 and below.

Edit: poking a little fun @Ultimate Sea Dog .... "Plundering is FUN! And cheap..."

Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    Shonda La and Kelani like this.
  14. Ultimate Sea Dog