How to get more space inside your walls

Discussion in 'Build Strategies' started by Cap'n Creeperb, Nov 22, 2014.

1. Cap'n Creeperb

Cap'n Creeperb First Mate

I couldn't find any other thread that mentioned this when I used the search function so I thought I wanted to share it with all of you here. Here's the tip; make your base square and not rectangular, that way you will get more room inside your walls with the same amount of wall pieces.
    Example:
    Base 1: Wall needs (12*4)+4 = 52 pieces to be built and the inside will have 12*12 = 144 spaces.
    Base 2: Wall needs (16*2)+(8*2)+4 = 52 pieces to be built and the inside will have 16*8 = 128 spaces.

Simple math. :)

2. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Now if only all the buildings were uniform shape and dimensions...

3. Cap'n Creeperb

No need to.

4. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Mathematically, I understand and agree with your point. It does work to maximize your interior build space, however in practice this is folly. A large square space makes it easier for attackers to achieve 100%, while a compartmentalized space prolongs the battle and makes 100% destruction difficult. The only time this is a great idea IMO is by adding distance between your attackers and your defenses to stop them at a distance.

5. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

[​IMG]

I set mine up in compartments. But then at my level this works great.

Tikigirl and Cap'n Creeperb like this.
  6. Cap'n Creeperb

That's true, but I never meant to recommend the usage of just a large square base, just to share with everyone here that a base that's as square as possible will have have more avaible space to build on. One idea is to have a small square in the middle with storages inside, and then as you said use the compartmentalized design to the surrounding defences. What you think?

7. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

[​IMG]
    At your level a square works fine, but compartments would work better.

8. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Man I wish I had a remove all function to edit my base to show. Give me a few minutes and I'll try to post what I think is a design for both of our viewpoints

9. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

I come off like a jerk in this thread. :)

I think it's level dependent because it is dependent on how many wall units are available to you and how many buildings you require inside your walls

10. Cap'n Creeperb

No you just shared your thought here, and I agree with you with most things, not just all. :p I've seen your base before btw and I think it's great. :)

11. Bear

Bear Commodore

A lot of the top players are using a basic square design with death doors.

12. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

At lower levels, the plain square base can work great. Defense ranges are shorter, troops are weaker, and they just can't clear out all the buildings before being killed. At higher levels, it gets more difficult. My current base is still a basic square, but with a few tricks thrown in. It can definitely be 100%'ed, but seems to withstand attacks pretty well.

13. Salty Snack

Salty Snack Captain

My base is rectangular and has only been three starred once, ever.

14. Cap'n Creeperb

I noticed that. Death doors are really good when designed right. :)

Bear likes this.
  15. Explain this death door concept.

16. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Since attacking pirates tend to take the path of least resistance, by opening a space in your walls you make it so the pirates funnel in through a point of your choosing. This opens up the possibility to defend a single point instead of spreading out your defenses. By placing traps there as well, players will affectionately refer to the area as a death door because death is imminent for the attackers.

Bear likes this.
  17. Midleton

Midleton Crew

Been meaning to try that layout since I get defeated so often going up against those.

I seem to be having better luck against square designs than rectangular ones generally, especially for the rectangular layouts with double walls (with space in between), and those death doors you mention....Just brutal.

Funny about this game, it seems more popular to leave the main bldg (PH in this game) out to let folks one star, but aggressively protect loot.

I see that sometimes happens in other games, and is especially popular for great sniping during wars and events, as many folks are happy to help others achieve the war points necessary to win tiered prizes. But I wonder why leaving the castle out is popular here.

18. ElGordo

ElGordo First Mate

If PH destroyed, it will be rebuild.
    If you loose Gold and Grog, it's gone.

And most of the players don't care about lost defences and losing rank, 'cause they like to play with low rank and nobody cares, if he/she lost 50 or 500 defences. It makes no difference.

Gangrene Beard likes this.
  19. Midleton

Midleton Crew

all good points. guess same could be said of other games, but then again, it's probably partly that this game doesn't really incentivize staying at a high rank.

20. In addition to my "Death Doors" (at Sinister Souls we call them Chaos doors as he was te inventor in PP) I have three more spots where enemy troops always go. Reason: my walls are level 7 and on the bottom I have one piece of level 6 wall
    [​IMG]

And the same goes for the sides.
    [​IMG]

On top I have a gap(Chaos door/Death door) that is protected by my Ground Pounder and 3 cannons.
    [​IMG]

@Gangrene Beard at my level gunners with the max range upgrade have no problem with compartmented bases. I've never seen any at 400+

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014