Initial mortar blast

Discussion in 'Battle Bugs' started by One-Eyed Willy, Mar 7, 2015.

1. One-Eyed Willy

One-Eyed Willy First Mate

Perhaps I'm mistaken but take a look at some of your recent replays. Notice the initial mortar blast on a unit or group of troops. The damage is nearly negligible even if the blast is a direct hit. Subsequent blasts of course do the expected damage, but I am finding that the initial blast received by a mortar is almost non-damaging. I understand troops don't take a full amount of damage from a mortar shell of it's a few blocks away, but this bug is referring to even direct hits from an initial targeting shell of a mortar. I have so far only witnessed this in my attacks so I am not complaining, just felt as though it should be addressed and looked into.

2. We all know replays aren't accurate. We don't know wether the splash damage is inaccurate too, but it's a possibility.
    It's best to check real live battle's instead of replays on this sort of issue's.

3. One-Eyed Willy

I am experiencing this during gameplay and merely suggesting en easy review for players to check to confirm similar circumstances.

4. Jun

Jun First Mate

Ah so you are Blackbeard for SS. Haha. Anyway, one possibility is that it is the training grounds doing its thing. It adds on 'unseen' armor such that it looks like the first hits don't do anything. The other is with Chings ability. Similar effect is added on to those units.

Black-ish Beard likes this.
  5. One-Eyed Willy

Oh ok, I didnt consider that . Thank you!

6. One-Eyed Willy

Just ran some tests and it seems you were right @Jun .. The training ground seems to add a shield to the troops that is not measured within the typical green health bar above the deployed troops.

7. c00ni

c00ni First Mate

This does seem to explain it. With active training ground and/or under the influence of Ching Shih, initial hits from Cannons / Gun Towers don't even make the health bar show. Under the hood I'm guessing health bars only show when health drops below 100% but the health bonuses are giving troops > 100% health instead of actually increasing their max health and calculating % from there.

I would call this a bug - health bars should always show % remaining after taking any amount of damage. Simply not showing the bar is not showing how much health is really remaining.
    @Lynsey [Midoki] ?

One-Eyed Willy likes this.
  8. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

I'll check this on Monday - both Ching Shih's ability and the Training Ground adds toughness (hit points) to the pirates, and it may well be that the health bars are only showing the default and not the full amount with the extras. Good spot!

9. One-Eyed Willy

Thank you for the response @Lynsey [Midoki]

Just for the record, I've noticed this without Ching in my army.