iPad 2 issues

Discussion in 'General Bugs' started by RonUK, Mar 20, 2016.

1. RonUK

RonUK Crew

Dear Midoki, please can you help my Plundering on my iPad 2?

I dearly love Plunder Pirates and have been plundering since almost day one, but my current experience is ruining my ability to play the game. After a few moments of playing my App freezes or simply crashes back to the home screen. At best I get maybe half an hours play without interruption, at worst I can't even log in. Everything that I used to love about the game has now turned to frustration.

I've tried everything that I know to help myself. Soft reset doesn't help. Hard reset doesn't help. Clearing and deleting other Apps doesn't help. I contacted your support team who were lovely, but essentially told me that older devices like the iPad 2 will now struggle to play the game as it requires much animation and capacity to run. As much as I'd like to, I can neither justify nor afford buying a newer iPad to play.

This only happens with this game, not with any of my others. Please help us iPad 2 owners :-(

Is this happening to anyone else or am I just the unlucky pirate?

2. Langballe

Langballe Crew

I have the same problem on two iPad 2's. The game is absolutely unplayable so I now play exclusively on my android phone:(

it seems that iPad 2 is simply too old and slow. In Midokis defence the iPad is next to useless for anything more demanding than Netflix. Safari is also mind-numbingly slow.

Midoki should either fix it or pull support on iPad 2.

3. lady blackbeard

lady blackbeard Captain

Share your frustration. Have turned off all effects and battery draws. Best luck with playing while plugged into power strip. Takes some effort to get 30 minutes of play. Shame.

4. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

Same problems here. But I've always assume it was a memory issue or iOS issue since I have not upgraded. Doing a hard reboot usually resolves the issue.

5. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Hmm, I'll let the chaps know - we officially support iPad 2, so it should run, albeit not as smoothly and with fewer pretty visual effects. It is quite demanding on devices, especially graphically!

However, I do actually have an iPad 2 (running iOS 7.0.4) as one of my dev devices on the desk (along with an iPhone 6+ and a Mini Retina), and I'm not experiencing any crashes or freezes on it (however, there isn't a huge amount of stuff installed on it, and I rarely have anything else running in the background). Rovio QA also test the game on a variety of devices.

I'll look into it!

RonUK and lady blackbeard like this.
  6. SuperCow

SuperCow Powder Monkey

Also the same problems here. After 10 - 15 min the game freezes and crashes back to the homescreen, mostly it happens during a strike when I start to attack an island or after watching the ads (but I think that is another problem). My iPad 2 is running iOS 9.2.

7. RonUK

RonUK Crew

Thanks Lynsey. My iPad is running on iOS 9.2 so the latest update, and I've turned off everything I can to help it, but it doesn't make much difference. Anything that you can do or suggest would be very appreciated, I don't want to have to stop playing completely.

8. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

Bump.

Still having the issues. Happening on all my ipad 2's, even the non-jailbroken ones with updated ios. Can't even finish one single raid. Going to do reboot now, but is annoying having to reboot the ipad several times a day to play the game. Think it is about time to buy a new ipad :eek:

Just curious if still affecting others.

Doing hard reboot and clearing memory has not resolved the issue. The account on old ipad 2 is virtually unplayable. Can't load onto another ipad to play temporarily due to PP point penalty that it will incur.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  9. RonUK

RonUK Crew

Spongee it's still awful for me. I recruit my troops, I start a battle and then it either crashes, or freezes then crashes during battle. I lose the troops I've recruited and gain nothing. Rumbles are a pain because I can't complete many battles, streaks are just not an option due to crashing, and general gameplay is hugely frustrating. I've come to accept that this is just the way that it is now for Plunder Pirates but both my enjoyment and progress is minimal.

@Lynsey [Midoki] Can anything be done at all please to help us?

10. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

@RonUK Exactly the same for me.

11. Skillzone10

Skillzone10 Captain

The same for me too. It's really terrible, how often the game crashes and I'm constantly losing and having to recruit troops that were never even used.

12. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

Just today I've been unable to load my iPad 2 account. The PP load screen keeps popping up a window that says "Download Error. There has been a problem downloading required gaming assets. Already tried 5 times to load and even did a cold reboot.

It's worth noting that my iPad Air account loads fine so that should rule out any problems with my local WiFi.

TiGeR

13. RonUK

RonUK Crew

@Lynsey [Midoki] I've been resigned for a while to accept that I can't play Plunder Pirates on my iPad2 for all of the reasons I've mentioned previously above; I now try to login on my iPad2 but battle only on my iPhone5 due to constant crashouts on the iPad2. However the curse of an Apple update has struck me again. I've installed the latest update iOS 9.3.4 on both my wife and my own iPad2's and the game is worse than ever. Every update sends Plunder Pirates backwards and logging onto the iPad2 is becoming a misery with it. It's consistently the only game that I have a problem with playing, all of the other (even well known competitor) games play well and with stability. It will come to the point we will have to stop playing which will be very sad given our enjoyment of taking part.

Lynsey you've said that the iPad2 is still supported. Can anything please be done to help us in the upcoming update?

14. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

I'm still using my iPad2 on my other account. What I've noticed most is the game getting sluggish at times. The only workaround that helped improve this was closing all apps (double press home button) and then turning the iPad off/on. You might also be having issues with your WiFi signal. That has also happened to me, especially since I'm using a WiFi extender to reach all areas of the home.

TiGeR

15. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

I'll save you the trouble of writing Rovio support...

[​IMG]

16. Darth Yoda

Darth Yoda First Mate

I have kept my Ipad2 on IOS 8 and am having no issues at all with stability or lag. Based on all these comments I will not upgrade unless everything else fails on there because they need IOS 9.

17. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

Exactly! Every iOS upgrade just makes it worst. Unfortunately, I had to do a factory restore on that particular ipad to get the PP account back, and had no choice but to install latest iOS. Up to that point, was using iOS7/8 with only minor issues. Since the update to iOS 9, it crashes every 2-3 raids.