Issue signing up for forum

Discussion in 'General Bugs' started by PTO Plunderer, May 24, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PTO Plunderer

PTO Plunderer Captain

we recently had a player get an email saying he was denied access to the forum, with zero explanation. He's never had it, so not banned - what gives?

@Lynsey [Midoki] @Chris [Midoki]

2. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

What was the name? Normally if an account is rejected it's because:

* They already have an account on the forum
    * They have tried to create an account with an offensive name
    * They've been flagged by Xenforo's spam database
    * They've been flagged by stopforumspam.com

3. PTO Plunderer

PTO Plunderer Captain

His name is ballsdeep - same as his pirate name

4. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

Can't imagine the name has anything to do with it :rolleyes:

5. PTO Plunderer

PTO Plunderer Captain

If "pink taco (squirt emoji)" and "booty slappa (hand emojis)" are acceptable, I see no difference spongee

Mobotts likes this.
  6. Hawkbeard

Hawkbeard First Mate

He might have to have it as ba**sdeep as one of our guild members name was TesticleBeard and he had to have te***lebeard or something. Lol.

7. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

@ PTO, both Pink Taco and Booty Slappa seem very close to crossing the line, but not quite. Ballsdeep has more of a vulgarity to it. I could explain away Pink Taco and BootySlappa in innocent terms. Ballsdeep... Well, when my 9 and 10 year-old asked what that meant (as they had someone by that name join their guild in another game), I had no cute explanation, so just told them the truth (I know, what a horrible dad! :eek:). I tend to view names as acceptable by whether or not I can give a plausible innocent definition for it, or whether it is considered mainstream vulgarity. Not saying I am against the name, just saying my perception on why one and not the others.

Booty Slappa likes this.
  8. PTO Plunderer

PTO Plunderer Captain

Balls deep down field--he throws far--that's what I'd say.

9. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

Wish I had thought of that :p

I know my kids went running to school the next day telling all their friends what ballsdeep means. :confused: I was expecting a call to the principals office.

10. PTO Plunderer

PTO Plunderer Captain

So....he tried created a less offensive name and got denied again. Now what?

11. Lynsey [Midoki]

He was approved this morning when he signed up with the name deePS77V8 (you can see that he's the latest member under the Forum Statistics section).

12. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

We have a pool team in our league named "Balls Deep". It was less offensive than their previous name, which had no reference to the game of pool.

13. PTO Plunderer

PTO Plunderer Captain

Thanks @Lynsey [Midoki] !!

Can you maybe enlighten us as to where the line is for appropriate vs inappropriate names (ballsdeep vs pink taco)?

14. Lynsey [Midoki]

"Ballsdeep" is kind of an internationally known vulgar expression. If you do a Google search/Google image* search for the expression, all of the top links explicitly refer to the vulgar definition.

"Pink Taco" is not an internationally known vulgar expression. If you do a Google search/Google image* search, the top links all refer to a chain of Mexican restaurants.

"Booty Slappa" is a bit more borderline, but given that 'Booty' is a piratical word, it gives it more of a 'comedy innuendo' context rather than flat out vulgarity. However, he has had his signature censored in the past for breaking forum rules, and Pink Taco has been banned for breaking forum rules, so it's not a case of favouritism. ;)

In-game names only tend to get changed if they're complained about by other players. Forum accounts we approve at the sign up stage, so tend to be a little more policed.

*Midoki accepts no liability for any disciplinary action/loss of employment that may occur if you search for any of these terms at work and your IT guy subsequently flags up your search history.

15. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

*as a former IT guy - I love this disclaimer! :D

16. flyingdoucheman

flyingdoucheman Magical Banner Wizard

I'm glad this hasn't affected me and my fellow Dutchmen. Auto-correct flipped Dutchman to Doucheman, go figure. :D

17. Jonesy

Jonesy Crew

I will admit, I LOL'd! (not at work though, pesky IT guys block "gaming" forums...... but not russian mail order bride web sites....) IT guys = pervs?!

18. Admin [Midoki]

Admin [Midoki] Administrator Staff Member

[CLOSED]

lady blackbeard likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.