Private Threads?

Discussion in 'General Improvements' started by TheAdmin, May 16, 2015.

1. TheAdmin

TheAdmin Crew

Would it be possible to have a thread so we can discuss things within a collective group. For example, a guild who would like to discuss private strategy/training. Maybe even a developers thread to report or hash out zero days?

2. Tex

Tex Commodore

Create a Line or GroupMe for your guild is best solution for now.
    If the group is <5 you can use a private forum message.

TheAdmin likes this.
  3. TheAdmin

TheAdmin Crew

I haven't used groupMe... Can you upload documents or files or anything? I have a feeling <5 is a great start for development anyway. I will check out group me! That's a really good idea!

It's pretty lame there is no global discussions on PP. I kinda had starting an entire thread just for a question. I search before I post too, but the search isn't the best either.

4. Captain Wayne kerr

Captain Wayne kerr Powder Monkey

Private oh goody

5. Floki

Floki Captain

Groups me very good to keep up with a fast moving guild or guilds.

6. Bear

Bear Commodore

Our Guild uses groupme too. As far as file sharing. Use Google Drive and share anything via a link

TheAdmin likes this.
  7. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

We started with GroupMe but moved to LINE, which worked out a lot better!

8. TheAdmin

TheAdmin Crew

Does anything in particular stand out with one over the other? I know you used both, so what was the leading factor to make the switch? I know how rough it can be to migrate a lot of users from one platform to the other... Lol

9. Floki

Floki Captain

Group,e is max of fifty but I think that can be lifted via e-mail you can have multiple chats in groupme line is used only a little by me don't know that much a about it it maybe better?

10. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

LINE has a desktop app, which means real notifications, while groupme has only a web browser version. That ultimately means more participation on LINE.

Groupme maxes out at 50 members per room, LINE 200.

LINE is popular for games, so a lot of members turn out to have it already.

Groupme spams new members with SMS texts for every message by default and it is not obvious how to change that. WORST THING, EVER.

Cons, LINE is blocked in China. It is mobile-centric so the phone version (which can be installed on ipad) must be used for sign-up and is more featureful than the other versions.

Floki and TheAdmin like this.
  11. Bear

Bear Commodore

Groupme seems to have fixed the sms spam issue. We have added several new people to our chat and none have had the issue

12. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

It depends whether you sign up using phone number or facebook. If you don't use facebook then the SMS service option is on by default. It's not that big of a deal to disable but really sours things for a lot of new users.

13. Spongee

Spongee Commodore

Line seems more user friendly for those of us who are technologically challenged.

14. Tex

Tex Commodore

I also prefer Line. In addition to supporting groups >50 it has alot of fun animated stickers and emojis.

awbo and TheAdmin like this.
  15. TheAdmin

TheAdmin Crew

Well I guess there are pros and cons to everything (hence why we have progress and Congress) ... I've been using the daylights out of Google Hangouts just because it's available on everything under the sun (plus nerdy stuff like making unicorns randomly walk across everyone's phones and making them flip out for the first time... Lol) when you need to research a link or anything in your chat you just open your Gmail and can search through everything quickly.

Anywho... Those are really good options for keeping things under the lid... It would still be nice to have a global group chat to throw out questions... But then again... I guess I don't want to be a powder monkey all my pirate career... Lol

16. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

I'm a bit late replying to this, but you can pretty much create a private thread on the forum using the 'conversation' feature - you can invite multiple participants.

TheAdmin likes this.
  17. TheAdmin

TheAdmin Crew

That's good to know! I am still poking around and looking for fellow nerds to discuss some of that stuff, but I am glad to know that it is possible! I still appreciate the reply even if its slightly delayed. lol =D

18. Tex

Tex Commodore

Though limited to only 5 people per conversation.
    I like the idea of a private thread where the creator could add/remove participants.
    Then each guild could have an area to share Top Secret Stuff. ;)

Scurvy Red likes this.