Question about troups!

Discussion in 'Battle Strategies' started by Tottok, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Tottok

Tottok Crew

Hope Skye has an answare.

So, I have few noob question about troups, I'm PH9 and ACAD 7 going to 8 soon.

1. Are Buccaners useful for high PH level? Never seen an attacker use them and it's sad.
    2.Is Mistress worth a place in a battle? Is she really necessary?
    3.Why use Brute insteed of Juggs? Juggs are better in my opinion and my level.
    4.Is Heavy Gunner better than 3 Gunners? Has better range but still..
    5.Dobyou guys use Thiefs?

My troup combo is: 6 Juggs,5 Thiefs,1 WD,10 Bombers, 40 Gunners, should a change something?

2. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

1. Not really :( - skellies are Buccs Mark II
    2. (Assuming you mean Priestess) Not yet... because I think she is only worthwhile when her ability gets a range boost (lvl 13) - then she can switch off several defences (for several seconds) giving the rest of your crew time to get within range.
    3. Brutes specifically target defences - and don't get sidetracked into taking down stores/buildings (like juggs) whilst the rest of the crew gets slaughtered.
    4. Yes after final range boost (lvl 22) - they can target up to 7 tiles away whilst standing still & up to an additional 7 tiles whilst walking. (therefore if deployed perfectly) they can destroy all defences before they are even targeted (takes a lot of practice & luck to achieve this though).
    5. Not yet... however when she gets her second cloak upgrade (lvl 24) she will be excellent!
    My crew: 20 guns, 5 skellies, 5 bombs, 3 brutes, 3 juggs, 3 HGs, 2 WD (I usually only deploy 1 WD but carry a spare in case he decides to wander off or gets himself killed).

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Tottok likes this.
  3. Super-Nor

Super-Nor Captain

With the wind direction change you should really keep sky raiders in your crew. I will show you some replays in Wild Piggies where they are used to great benefit.

4. Alnemer

Alnemer Crew

Let me help u here :rolleyes:

1-buccaners Almost useless
    2-yes pirestess is 100%... Start with 2 until u masters it then 1 is enough (death is to fast. Try to send it late)
    3- brute is cheap and he will go straight to Defenses and his ability is goood. Juggs very strong and Stupid he attack every thing:D
    4- HG is better than 5 gunners...and if you want to get 3 stars u should use it and u need to clean in the before u send him( also HG is amazing with the LPs
    5- thiefs are very good to get gold and grog... With 30 thiefs u can get 1,000,000 of gold even for a noob

Try combo:
    Speed attack:2wd. 2Hg 5jug. 1 pirestess 12bomb the rest are gun.....try to attack from one side
    Wall break: 15bomb 4hg 4 jug 1pirest 1wd 1brute rest are gun
    Resources: 30gun for cleaning 10bomb for the wall 30 thiefs in 2 wave ( u need to be fast)

*For a strong island u need some 4 to 5 HG
    * send 10 to 15 bomb to open tha wall and 1wd to get the zombie

My strategy for troops are:
    1.First wave of gun to clean the way
    2. Two wave of bomb to open Multiple layers of walls
    3.jugg send 1 early to then send the other after 5 to 8 second
    4.LPs
    5. Send the pirestess ( to stop the strong defense... Some time i send them early to protect bomb or the LPs
    6.send the rest of gun
    7.Hg u can ues them any time if there are troops in front of them if u lose HG u lose the battle

Best way to find strategy is to go up to 600 or 700 then u well see (Eliminate ur island :p)

Remember it's all about 2 things : time deployed + Defenses (destroy/avoid)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
    Tottok likes this.
  5. Skye

Skye Commodore

Its already been mostly covered above! :)

1) Buccs are useful for cheap sailing crew, and upgrading them may reduce how many you need for battles. With the new upgrade that increases damage to bunkers by an insane amount, they may become useful again, and they can quickly get in melee range, which nullifies many defenses abilities that don't operate at close range. I've seen players bring a handful in their raids, I personally don't use slots on them since I don't use a GS and slots are extremely valuable, but they are not awful troops, its just a tough tradeoff to make.
    2) Again assuming priestess - I bring a priestess in every single serious raid now. Worst case, she dies off really quickly and doesn't do much, but when you do find a battle where you can use her properly, she is an insane help at max level. Her ability has a range of 7 I believe, and stuns things for I believe 9 seconds (I haven't counted in a while). This means, you can drop her on one side of a wall with a GP and shut it off to sneak your troop in, or you can wait until she can get near the base and shut off EVERYTHING, for a substantial amount of time. Saving you 4 mortar/mystic mortar blasts, 3 rounds off a GP, or hundreds of damage per other defense. If you had one on GS and also Annabelle, you could stunlock every defense in the base for the entire fight with some talent and luck, although 1 is always enough to make a huge difference and you don't really need extras. She also does a lot of damage to defenses (she targets them if nearby, running straight for them - letting you shut them off and destroy them very easily)
    3) Brute is THE BEST troop for sailing, and great for farming. He has the cheapest grog per slot, and hire time per slot, reducing army cost and gem cost significantly. He is a waste of slots to bring him as a tank in a real fight though, but he still has applications there. For farming, I bring 5. They remove the need for bombers against weak bases, since they have a huge wall damage boost (I bring 5 when farming, and they can handle anything weaker than red walls pretty easily). They tank just enough for a weak base, not as much hp per slot as a jugg and without the nice splash reduction, but you don't need all that when fighting underdeveloped bases. They are great for that. On serious bases, they have a couple small advantages over juggs - juggs are better overall, but brutes will not wander off to put out mines, brutes will home in on nearby defenses, and most importantly, brutes can stand still to distract defenses. Drop one brute at the very edge of a GP or mortar range, hit its ability, and your troops can sneak safely by on the other side of the range, where they would otherwise be destroyed. I wouldn't ever bring more than one or two to a serious battle, but it is a great strategy taught Jun taught me a very long time ago, and can take out some nasty bases with a much cheaper army this way.
    4) Heavy Gunner is the BEST dps troop in the game. 5 gunners (same slots) are much cheaper than HG, and have slightly more dps and total HP, but are more susceptible to splash damage. They also fight much closer.
    HG at max range can shoot from 14 tiles away when walking, and stop 7 away. FOURTEEN is enough to outrange pretty much any defense. They do an insane amount of damage per burst, and can be spread out nicely. Also, due to quirks with their AI, they will cut through walls for you once pre-damaged a bit by a bomber kabooming - I don't bring nearly as many bombers as most people, and just let my mass of HG cut through the wall if the bombers can't finish it off (although with their new wallbreaker 2 ability, this is rarely the case anymore). They are EXPENSIVE both in terms of grog and slots, but well used, are well worth losing some dps over 5 gunners. They will be doing dps more of the battle than gunners will, since they can shoot while walking, which helps balance out the damage difference, and have much more survivability. Also, with Tinto buffing a group, nothing stands a chance. I used to use ching to grab a couple, and make them run in and gun down every defense ahead of time, but I find tinto more effective since they don't have to turn around after the fact to destroy normal buildings they passed by. Tinto at max level buffs their damage by 30 a shot, x5 shots per burst. I use 6 HG in my attacks, so this is an extra 900 damage every other second. They work amazing with those damage buffs.
    5) I use thieves for farming. My farming army is 5 brutes, 25 gunners, and 25 thieves. The gunners can clear collectors, brutes break the walls, and then thieves go in and take stores. If collectors are full, I can snipe them (if they're protected I use thieves for them as well!). If stores are loaded, thieves will sneak in and take them all out and give you a 1* win - letting you farm and streak at the same time. In a real battle, they would clear the stores fast and speed things up, but I couldn't see sacrificing the slots for them. However, bringing one to disable a shark trap is a good idea still. One thief, cloaked, deployed near the shark trap will run to it and set it off before cloak breaks - killing the thief but disabling the trap. One slot to remove a 4k hp building that has a risk of eating all your juggs is a nice trade.

As for your army, you may not need that many juggs (especially when/if you get splash armor 2). I was using 6 for a while, but I realized they always were the last to die and were more tanking HP than I needed, so I cut back to 4. I could probably get away with 2-3 at max level. Figure out how many survive your typical battle, and if there is a lot of hp left over (6 juggs with 20% left on each means you could use 1 less jugg and still have survived all the damage they took) cut one out of your army. If they still survive really easily, cut another out. It frees up slots for DPS. It is probably fine for your level, but you would save a bit of grog if you can get a jugg or two replaced with gunners.

850arrr, Skillzone10 and Tottok like this.
  6. Tottok

Tottok Crew

Unbelivable,great tips, a lot of the stuff I didn't know like fornexample I didn't know that HG can shoot while walking, I didn't paid atention to that.

Again, very helpful and very strong tips, thanks all!

7. Ultimate Sea Dog

Ultimate Sea Dog First Mate

Here's my own opinions.
    1. Buccs have low DP, die easily, and are melee troops. Plus skellies are stronger and Sky Raiders have that ability (berserker) so they are plain crap.

2. Priestesses are AWESOME. Use them once you have Long Arm of the Loa, or even better, Lullaby. They, paired with Annabelle, can buy you 20 secs (or more). Plus priestesses have high DPs, and target DEFENCES only. Take them.

3. Brutes can take down low-level (up to Lvl 6/7) walls and target defences. Plus, Bring It On is quite good for keeping gunners alive. And, as @Skye said, they are cheap.

4. HGs take 4 times less damage than 5 gunners (he’s 1 troop) and he can outrange anything. Sadie the Goat is based off him- both break walls and outrange everything. Metal storm is equal to Stay on Target, if not better.

5. Thieves are quite ok, are comparatively cheap, and are great for taking down collectors while farming. But if you need to get stores, a suicide squad of Sky raiders would do well, and add a few bombers if you like.

My troop combo is 12 gunners, 1 brute, 4 thieves, 7 sky raiders, 7 bombers, 2 WD (usually use 1), 4 juggernauts, 7 skellies, 1 HG, 1 priestess, 1 Ghastly Gunner