Rumble is not following its own rules, it's unfair

Discussion in 'Battle Bugs' started by Moscow Mafia, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Moscow Mafia

Moscow Mafia Powder Monkey

In Rumble Rules, the last question says: How is my Guild matchmaked against other Guilds?
    The answer, I quote: Your Guild is assessed and placed in a pool of other Guilds based on similar number of players and the average Private Hall level.

I've just created my own Guild and, therefore, there is only 1 member, that's me. In my rumble, I got one Guild with 44 member and another with 22 members. The remaining two have 1 member and 3 members. I hate to say but the obvious. How the Guilds with 44 members and 22 members are a similar number of players to my Guild of 1?

It takes 40 minutes to recruit all my pirates, so even if I was to plunder rival captains one after another, I still could not physically make 44 battles in 24 hours.

So basically, I just wasted 5 gems because it's not possible to win the rumble given such lousy matchmaking. How is this fair???

2. Bear

Bear Commodore

1) the matchmaking is being tweaked. It does look for similar guilds, but if it can't find any pretty quickly then it expands its search to other guilds.
    2) trust me. Bkg guilds hate being matched against tiny guilds like you. It's no fun at all.

3) really? Why in the world would you start a rumble with a 1 person guild? That's just crazy. Just sit back and collect whatever free bp you get .

3. Moscow Mafia

This is not a question whether this is fun for you or not.

My choice of joining a rumble with 1 member is based on the rule, which says, I repeat: "Your Guild is assessed and placed in a pool of other Guilds based on similar number of players". This is a lie.

The point is, if developers are not able to abide their own rules, then they should not write it in black and white. It's a simple as that. No need to waste others' time. Very irresponsible.

thomssi likes this.
  4. thomssi

thomssi First Mate

Ooooh, "lie" is a strong word.

As long as guild size is an input to whatever their miraculously hopeless algorithm is (assuming it isn't then multiplied by zero) then it IS based on it, possibly just not in a way an even slightly rational individual may expect. Who knows, may also be "based" on moon phases, really big random numbers (my guess) or the Zimbabwe dollar exchange rate. May need to read up on chaos theory here but I'm sure there is a causal relationship in there somewhere. Perhaps @Arr will run some regression tests on this but I would advise him to do something more constructive in this instance, herding cats perhaps.....

Replays are clearly "based" on attacks as well, but that's another story.....

Also +1 to Bear, drawing 1 member guilds is annoying as well. We have had a number of competitive rumbles (not all, in both directions for various reasons), don't think ever had one that was more than a 2 horse race though.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
    Fil likes this.
  5. Moscow Mafia

The word "lie" is spot on. A lie is a statement that is known or intended by its source to be misleading, inaccurate, or false. The developers made a statement that is misleading and is false.

6. thomssi

thomssi First Mate

I think you missed the point.....

In any case, by your own definition, do you think they "intended" to mislead. I doubt it.

In any case, we all know the matching sucks, which my post pretty clearly alluded to. They are supposed to be fixing it.

7. Moscow Mafia

The developers know about this, of course. And I am sure they will fix crap matchmaking one day. I am just against false advertising. No need to write if you cannot deliver. It makes the developers unprofessional.

Meanwhile, they should just get rid of the line "based on similar number of players" or set a god damn limit on the number of members in a guild that can join a rumble.

8. Gangrene Beard

Gangrene Beard Commodore

Perhaps it was designed to function exactly as it was advertised and tested properly yet upon execution it failed to meet up with the standards originally intended. This in turn would have resulted in a need to gather more data to analyze the source of the problem and come out with a proper patch. These things take time. As many of us have had to do in the past: check to see if the problem is know and if it is not, take a moment to voice the problem(respectfully). Then wait for Midoki's response and (hopefully) their fix.

In this instance:
    1. The problem has been identified and is well known.
    2. Midoki's response has already come and told us a fix is coming.

9. Moscow Mafia

Well I am glad that it is being fixed. However, while it's being fixed they should change the wording. This is the right thing to do.

Otherwise it's like selling a bag of premium peanuts, only instead you find rotten peanuts inside. The customer then complaints to the producer. The producer says, I am so sorry, we are fixing it.

Well, that's not good enough. Just don't sell it. Take it off the shelves immediately especially if the problem is known by the producer. This is common sense.

Why is this attitude bothering? Because the developers are wasting our time. And time, my friends, is a commodity we cannot refill.

10. Raptelan

Raptelan Captain

This is stupid, is seriously not that difficult to fix, still happening:

[​IMG]

I am not sure what is so hard about it. There are plenty of other big guilds seeking Rumble matches. I would be happy to wait longer for better matches.

Anyways, I agree completely with @Moscow Mafia - the biggest problem here is that the rules tell us one thing, and what actually happens is another. At least make the rules state something honest.

11. Captain Hakjka

Captain Hakjka First Mate

@Raptelan - I hoped you only allowed two of your players to rumble to make it fair )

+1 change the wording until a fix is in place.
    +1 I wouldn't mind waiting longer for rumble matchmaking.
    +1 can't be hard to get a patch with new wording suggestion - Rumbles selection is beta thank you for live testing it.

12. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

The Rumble matchmaking has been tweaked for the next update - it should lead to far more appropriate match ups, but may result in a longer matchmaking time. It's been in testing with external QA and through computer simulations for the last month or so.

Changing the wording isn't really an option, as it takes several weeks to go through localisation and localisation QA, then would then require a separate submission to Apple as it would be a client side fix.

13. Captain Hakjka

Captain Hakjka First Mate

@Lynsey [Midoki] does this mean another big update is only a few weeks away or just that it is too much effort to change the wording?

14. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

We don't have the time to submit an interim update before the next big update.

peg-brain bob likes this.
  15. peg-brain bob

peg-brain bob Captain

Woohoo - Hype Train! :)

16. Tex

Tex Commodore

@Moscow Mafia if we're uncovering lies then let's call out yours.

GUILD: an association of people with similar interests or pursuits; especially : a medieval association of merchants or craftsmen.

By definition 1 person cannot be considered a guild. So quit lying that you are a guild! o_O