Skellies are underrated

Discussion in 'Battle Strategies' started by WinstonCOV, Jul 30, 2015.

1. WinstonCOV

WinstonCOV First Mate

I found out a neat little thing about skellies. Mortars won't bounce them when the marrow shield is active. The marrow shield lasts nearly 20 seconds. I've had good results from sending them in first after the initial wall breach. Results would be better if they sometimes didn't run off in the wrong direction, but I'm getting the kinks ironed out. Because they are continually attacking they open up the entry fairly quickly and there are minimal casualties. Enjoy!

BTW, this is not a glitch. Skellies will bounce when the shield is not active.

# Johnny Doe #, Tex and awbo like this.
  2. Tiger Claw

Tiger Claw Captain

You nailed it. Skellie's are a great resource and lots of fun to deploy. I can't wait to max them at VooDoo 5 level.

Thx for sharing your thoughts. Their usefulness does seem to be a bit underrated.

TiGeR

3. Tex

Tex Commodore

Thanks for sharing. You have given me a reason to get them into action.

4. Burnz

Burnz Captain

They have become my go to replacement for jugs and brutes. They really excel if you are lucky enough to have your wd follow them and get a resurrection out of the dead corpses that usually form near the entry point/ funnel zone. Just watch out for the shark trap, I lost a whole batch when I wasn't paying attention and didn't notice the gunner I put on the shark trap die.

5. Floki

Floki Captain

I love Skellies need to keep a few in the band of misfits I send out to reek well just reek really.

Tiger Claw likes this.
  6. They are also nearly immune to mystic mortars and mystic mines. While everyone else is dazed and confused, they go about their business attacking everything in sight. I use 35 of these bad boys along with two witch doctors to revive the fallen when need be. They cost twice as much as gunners but last twice as long and then some.

7. Skye

Skye Commodore

My skellies still have a couple trainings left, but at PH8 they were certainly slightly cheaper per slot than a jugg. Unsure of which is cheaper at max level now. I'd imagine they play nicer with WD ai than juggs for most peoples playstyles as well.

3 skellies with TG has almost as much hp as a jugg

Juggs take 0 damage to any splash (mortars, gp, mines), which are what skellies aren't great at since you use them in big numbers, but they can outspeed mortar/gp fire if they aren't caught on anything so they only take partial splash.

With their ability active, they have more hp per slot than a jugg, and if you can distract the mortars, 30 skellies will last longer than 10 juggs soaking up damage from other sources.

What makes skellies great is that they do significantly more damage per slot than juggs. They can soak up more damage if you use the ability right, but they crank out a ton of damage, 4x what juggs do, and they don't walk slowly.

Even with splash on them, I've used a horde of skellies, hit the ability, and taken down a pirate hall that had both GP trained on it before they could kill the skellies just to prove they can take the hits, if you're into rushing through openings and quickly sniping PH like that.

Oh, and watching dozens of skellies swarm all over a base is very satisfying to watch!

Ultimate Sea Dog, 850arrr and awbo like this.