Skellywag upgrade suggestion...need help

Discussion in 'General Strategies' started by SaK, Jan 18, 2015.

1. SaK

SaK First Mate

For a lvl 3 voodoo academy should I upgrade all the upgrades for Skellywag or should I skip some steps like WD? Any suggestion...

Started to use and love them a lot recently

2. Black-ish Beard

Black-ish Beard Captain

Hey SaK,
    I don't use the Skellies. Never seen them used well

3. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Short answer: Max Bucs and use them instead.

Long answer: Skellys are like Brutes in that there's really no downside to maxing all their skills. You could possibly skip the Hut 2 top row, and the Hut 3 bottom row and have a cheaper troop,, but if you did, they'd be weaker than a maxed Buc. Whenever I've seen Skellys used effectively, it's been as either a full-Skelly army (funny to watch), or a squad dropped near poorly-guarded towers and mortars. That said, they're really not much different from the Buc...except they cost over 400% more, and take 2.5x longer to hire :(

Currently, mine are fully trained except the last +10 toughness, and each one takes 1m16sec and 5k grog to hire. Their only benefits over a maxed Buc are:

Anti-Stun skill
    +70 toughness
    +9 damage

Everything else, even the skills are identical to Bucs, which only cost 42 seconds and 800 grog when maxed (minus the two +1 dmg skills).

It's possible (I'd even say likely) that this troop will be rebalanced in the future. So if I could start over, I'd put nothing into them until I see what changes are made.

Luqman likes this.
  4. Christy

Christy Commodore

I am upgrading everyone. Some of my MAIN troops are maxed. But if I have grog and someone I use is already upgrading. I upgrade the troops I don't use in hopes that one day they will be improved. Hope that makes sense o_O

5. ElGordo

ElGordo First Mate

as @Kelani wrote, in the moment, they are expensive Buccaner.

You can do funny raids with them like with Bombers, but that was it.
    In fights against Ghost Ships they are useless, even Priestess are better in this case.

If you like fun and don't know what do with your grog, make full upgrade.
    If not, train better other pirates.

Luqman likes this.
  6. Jun

Jun First Mate

Skellies.. they need to run faster. I wonder if they even do more eps than a bucc when the bucc has its ability on. I haven't any bright ideas for improving it without making it even more a copy of a buccaneer by giving it that berserk skill. What do skeletons do that would translate well into the game? Decompose causing decay to surrounding buildings? Too similar to bomber..

:\

7. SaK

SaK First Mate

Ty all...

Just got acdmy 6 recently... Need again help for troops upgrade...should I do all or skip some?
    @Kelani , @Jun

8. Jun

Jun First Mate

I just did all for skellies. No harm as far as I see.

SaK likes this.
  9. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

Academy 6... Is a tough sell. Everyone tries so hard to get it, and for the average player, there's just not much there worth getting. For the "main" troops where upgrading them only adds a few seconds, I maxed them. So,max Bucs, Gunners, Sky Raiders, Brutes.

Bombers - Last thing I trained wit them was Kabooom. I skipped the Kraken skill, and did nothing in Acad 6. I use 8-9 of them, so the +15 dmg/+10 toughness would be nice, but not for the 1m40sec (or more) increase for each bomber.
    Juggs - Up to you. You can go for the defense..or not. These add a lot of time, though.
    Thieves- I'm maxing them, because I'm betting they will be adjusted at some point, and those +speed/theft/invisibility skills may be useful. If not, well, then it was a good place to dump excess grog.
    HG - I dump all my excess grog into him. Still yet to use one. He'll probably be rebalanced too

Basically, before you train any skill, check how many seconds it's going to add, and decide if it's worth it. We know the times change without notice, and are sometimes a huge/ridiculous change.

On Juggs, I did the +5 dmg, and the bottom track of two +50 and +100 Toughness, which adds like 42 and 50 seconds each. I use 3-4 Juggs as tanks, so for now, the extra 2:30 hire time is worth it. As for the top row: Not worth it. If the times are adjusted in an update, then I'll reconsider.

# Johnny Doe #, Luqman and SaK like this.
  10. SaK

SaK First Mate

Thanks a lot kelani... For ur valuable knowledge

Kelani likes this.
  11. Kelani

Kelani Commodore

You're welcome. Hope it helped.

Valuable, you say? Hmm..

[​IMG]

SaK likes this.
  12. SaK

SaK First Mate

Lol...u own me gems thn

13. Captain Tae

Captain Tae Powder Monkey

I am very new to this game but am loving it. My grandson asks to play as soon as he comes over.

My suggestion for Skellys is this: borrowing an idea from another game we play. The skellys could throw their heads, which could then explode or do something like that? Then bounce back and they throw them again. Might be entertaining?

Slice n' Dice and Tex like this.
  14. Jun

Jun First Mate

Huh. Temporarily giving a unit a ranged attack? Interesting..I was ways thinking about a temporary range boost for like the heavy gunner. Haven't thought about its appropriateness for a skelly. Seems to clash against the purpose of the skelly unit though?

15. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

16. Kawika

Kawika Crew

Looks like range enhancement is in the works! Thanks for the "tell" Tobey!

17. Christy

Christy Commodore

Hmmmmmm????

18. Lynsey [Midoki]

Lynsey [Midoki] Senior Designer Staff Member

Some pirates have had their base level stats tweaked to make them more effective from the moment they're unlocked.

Some have new skills and/or abilities.

Some have both. :O

Some have had their recruitment time and/or grog costs lowered.

[​IMG]

It should give people more options in creating a viable army across all stages of the game.

Skull King, Arr, Christy and 2 others like this.
  19. Kawika

Kawika Crew

Thanks Lynsey! That's a good amount of tweaks and upgrades. Lowered recruit times and grog costs is making me smirk like Tobey. :)

Christy likes this.